SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be up front, this happened to me while I was riding my Daytona 675, but only by chance. I split time between the Daytona and my RMX-250 SuMo for commuting about 50/50. It's not graphic but I do use some muffled foul language after the accident.

Backstory:

I just left the office in downtown San Francisco and got on my Daytona last Wednesday (1/28) to ride home. I made it about a block and came to a red light. Head checked through the full red light scanning for hazards. My light goes green, I wait 1-1.5 seconds and apply throttle with a final glance check in each direction. My first mistake was not giving it another second or two before going on the throttle to allow and red light runners to enter the intersection. my second mistake was doing my final glance check to the right first, then glancing left. This did not give me enough time to avoid this red light runner but at least it gave me enough time to prepare for the impact by tucking and rolling my left shoulder and head away from the car on impact. In the US, glancing left should always be first because that's where the first threat of cross traffic will be coming from. I learned that lesson the hard way. Anyway, got flipped in the air after getting launched by the car's windscreen and somehow landed on my feet. My injuries are relatively limited considering the severity of the accident. I think the only serious injury may be in my left knee but I'm still waiting to go have an MRI done to verify if their is ligament or soft tissue damage of any sorts. I'm having ongoing pain in that knee that would indicate there is something wrong there, but otherwise I appear to have escaped with bumps, bruises, soreness, and stiffness.

Couple of facts people seem to misrepresent or misidentify:

- The driver did stop on scene and we exchanged info. No reason was provided for running the red light by 5-6 seconds after his light turned red other than that he was unfamiliar with the streets because he was from out of State.
- I did not blaze into the intersection, I was probably going about 8-10mph, the camera makes it look like I'm going faster than I actually was because of the perspective. I was impacted about 2-3 seconds after going on the throttle and had only traveled about 10-15 feet, at the maximum before I was hit. You can do the math if you think I was full on the throttle like Rossi.
- There is no way I could see the car as it approached while waiting for the light change. The driver came from a blind spot created by the car turning right. The red light runner was nowhere near the line when the light changed red for him, and was not visible as I went on the throttle and initiated my final glance checks. The camera has a much better point of view than my eyes did, being about 8" higher and also showing 170* of view in detail (and because you're biased as your brain already knows where to look when watching the video).

Takeaways:

My hope is that others learn from this video. No amount of vigilance, preparedness, or safe riding practices can help you avoid 100% of the hazards out there. You simply cannot control all of the variables. I'm not saying changing a few things would not have changed the outcome for me, maybe they would have, but in the end, you're signing a contract every time you go out on the bike that puts your life, and limbs on the table if you lose.

1. Always check Left then Right in that order! (at least if you're in the USA)
2. Don't throttle on for at least 2-3 seconds after your light goes green unless you have 100% unobscured vision in both cross directions and it's completely clear or if there is at least one vehicle in every available lane and they've all come to a complete stop.
3. Just be careful out there y'all.

Feel free to post this video wherever you want. The more people who see it and learn something from it, the better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
WOW you got lucky~ in your bad luck that is. Those are very minor injuries, 1 sec faster and it was a direct hit on your left. You can definitely see that you took your time to engage the intersection. I tend to do that myself. Here in phx red light runner are omnipresent, speed limits are fast also. So when guys get hit they usually don't end up on their feet and much more severe injuries.
To bad for the 675, that's a sad loss.
I hope insurance takes care of you and your bike. Good luck and some are very good pointer for any rider, thanks for sharing. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW you got lucky~ in your bad luck that is. Those are very minor injuries, 1 sec faster and it was a direct hit on your left. You can definitely see that you took your time to engage the intersection. I tend to do that myself. Here in phx red light runner are omnipresent, speed limits are fast also. So when guys get hit they usually don't end up on their feet and much more severe injuries.
To bad for the 675, that's a sad loss.
I hope insurance takes care of you and your bike. Good luck and some are very good pointer for any rider, thanks for sharing. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.
Yeah, insurance is covering the bike and my helmet as I understand it (as the helmet is no longer safe for use). I can imagine how much more dangerous a red light runner could be in Phoenix based on speed alone. Ride safe brother!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey bud, I'm over here too. :D Us Daytona and sumo riders got to stick together. Obviously, the best bikes are the ones with an odd number of cylinders. :thumbup:

You know, if you were on your tard, you could just pick it up and ride home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey bud, I'm over here too. :D Us Daytona and sumo riders got to stick together. Obviously, the best bikes are the ones with an odd number of cylinders. :thumbup:

I hate to say it but that was like the 3rd or 4th thought that ran through my head haha.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Glad you're okay and thanks for the reminder to check both ways and wait a couple seconds before taking off. Hope your knee isn't too screwed up.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt more than you did. It could have been a lot worse. Glad you're still around!

People run reds here too. A lot of drivers run stop signs. It's sad how bad general drivers are.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Not only daytonas have 3cyl.. Don't exclude the speed triple riders!! haha :bike:
I've been seeing so many crashed and incidents lately.. It makes me hate riding the streets. On top of that I've been tasted the track days
I feel about 80% more safe on a track even though the speed/ corner speed are much faster.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
People run reds here too. A lot of drivers run stop signs. It's sad how bad general drivers are.
What's even more sad IMO is how much of a rush people are in nowadays. People can't wait a couple minutes for a light to change so they'll run the light without thinking of what could happen. I've tried to just chill whenever I'm in my car and take it easy. Wish more people did.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I feel every driver should have to be a rider for about a year before they get a license to drive a car. More safer/defensive drivers should be the result. The aggressive and/or stupid ones, natural selection should weed them out. Hope you heal up better than new.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Glad you are ok.
I have recently been trying to make myself wait a few seconds after the light changes before I take off, for just the reasons shown here.
Coming from racing, it is hard not to treat the light change like a starting gate and try to have a quick response time.
bad habits are hard to break
Thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel every driver should have to be a rider for about a year before they get a license to drive a car. More safer/defensive drivers should be the result. The aggressive and/or stupid ones, natural selection should weed them out. Hope you heal up better than new.
I don't know about that. When I took the MSF course there were a large number of people (maybe 30%) in my class who "passed" the driving test but really had no business passing it. People were dropping their loaner bikes, were completely petrified once they got on the bike and constantly stalling the engines, and some were just barely able to control the loaner bikes by the end of the course. And these people wanted licenses, so I can only imagine how people who have no interest would perform on a bike. My guess is that traffic accident and injury rates would skyrocket.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you are ok.
I have recently been trying to make myself wait a few seconds after the light changes before I take off, for just the reasons shown here.
Coming from racing, it is hard not to treat the light change like a starting gate and try to have a quick response time.
bad habits are hard to break
Thanks for the reminder
Do everything in your power to break that habit! I see so many people distracted driving every time I commute on my bike. people are eating, talking on their phones, women applying makeup, music blaring, absorbed in conversation with passengers, messing with their GPS units, etc. One time I saw a guy playing the flute on the freeway with both hands and he was holding the wheel with his knees at freeway speeds, in a curvy section of the freeway too. Not sure how these people justify this kind of behavior when they're piloting a couple thousand pounds of metal that could easily kill someone if they lost control.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's even more sad IMO is how much of a rush people are in nowadays. People can't wait a couple minutes for a light to change so they'll run the light without thinking of what could happen. I've tried to just chill whenever I'm in my car and take it easy. Wish more people did.
bad weather magnifies this behavior by at least 100% too. Every storm day I see countless drivers running red lights during the change to get 1 block further before they have to stop. I assume this is because they didn't leave in time to accommodate the slower driving conditions that come with storms and they're running late to get to work. In SF, I see drivers do this at almost every red light on storm days.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Glad you're (relatively) alright. That really could have been much worse! I'm happy to see more people wearing cameras on regular rides, they're great for instances like this where you may need visual proof of things.

It may be the death of a nice 675, but maybe the birth of a second supermoto?! :D ...In addition to your ninja skills of course. :clap:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I don't know about that. When I took the MSF course there were a large number of people (maybe 30%) in my class who "passed" the driving test but really had no business passing it. People were dropping their loaner bikes, were completely petrified once they got on the bike and constantly stalling the engines, and some were just barely able to control the loaner bikes by the end of the course. And these people wanted licenses, so I can only imagine how people who have no interest would perform on a bike. My guess is that traffic accident and injury rates would skyrocket.

Ride Safe!
The purpose would to teach people to become defensive drivers instead of aggressive jerks. Agreed on the idiots at MSF. My idea would to take that teenager and install him in an environment that demands your full attention...or else.
Some people don't have eye-hand coordination and can't learn.
As it is now, we pump teenagers out in droves, hand them the car keys and let them fly. As soon as they're out of site they start to text, speed etc. Most of will agree to some extent.
I remember my first solo in the families station wagon. I really remember my first solo in my sisters 1968 roadrunner.
Not to put all the blame on the younger generation, I see all kinds of inattentive driving all the time.
To implicate this would open up the states to billions of dollars worth of litigation.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As a cop I am not a big traffic ticket writer. However blowing red lights I show little mercy on. This is exactly why. Nearly every driver I stop for it gives me a dumbfounded look like it is no big deal. Its infuriating as I want to go off on them, especially when it is so blatant. However I calmly explain the issue even though it seems to go in one ear and out the other. Even over the last few years it seems more people are in a rush and blowing red lights is second nature. If I wasnt so busy doing other police work I'd write red light tickets all day. Its sad that when Im at intersections I dont procede when it is green. I look both ways repeatedly until I feel confident it is clear. As this video shows, even that is not good enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts