SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 950sm with leo vince pipes and jetting done,the bike runs very strong but when it gets warm its hard to re-start?? I have to crank it 3,4,5 times to get it to fire up.Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 06 950sm with leo vince pipes and jetting done,the bike runs very strong but when it gets warm its hard to re-start?? I have to crank it 3,4,5 times to get it to fire up.Any thoughts from anyone?
Not real Saavy with these thumpers but it sounds like you decompression lever system(correct terminology?) or what ever it is isnt working. Google 950SM decompression issues and something will pop up

Im at work and alot of site are blocked, I googled it but couldnt click the link....Im sure there are some better thumber techs that will chime in though

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not real Saavy with these thumpers but it sounds like you decompression lever system(correct terminology?) or what ever it is isnt working. Google 950SM decompression issues and something will pop up

Im at work and alot of site are blocked, I googled it but couldnt click the link....Im sure there are some better thumber techs that will chime in though

Someone that has no clue about what they are talking about.

The decomp levers are on the cams and are automatic. I would look at the valve clearances, spark plugs, basically all the service items. Check the battery condition as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Someone that has no clue about what they are talking about.

The decomp levers are on the cams and are automatic. I would look at the valve clearances, spark plugs, basically all the service items. Check the battery condition as well.
thanks for pointing out what I already stated....I know that the decomp is on the cams...but there are bike that have an external decomp lever that has to be actuated to restart the bike after its hott:coffee:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warm starting issue's

The bike has 7k on it,do you think the plugs are toast??Hmmm?The battery cranks the motor with no problem also.Should you have to choke a warm motor??Hmmmm? Again?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had an 950 adv before and that sounds like the battery to me, mine started to not start when warm and it turned out that a cell had died, new battery fitted and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warm start issue's

You may be right on the battery,the bike came from the mid-west and the dealer there said they had no problem starting it when warm.I rode a bunch lastnight and had less trouble getting her going,holding on to the starter button a touch longer and then cracking the throttle a touch to open the butterflys a bit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeh the battery on the big twins can be a really issue if its not perfect, I had an AfricaTwin before it and had a bunch of issues that I could never work out til the battery died, when my Adv started doing strange things I load tested the battery and found it was on its way out, straight after that it died on me and when I put a new battery in the bike ran so much better.
Worth pullin and getting it load tested atleast, all the guys I rode with had pipes etc on theirs too and once warm they never needed choke and always started straight away once warm.
If its been jetted I would guess that the emissions is gone but if they haven't put the blanking plates on do it as it will make them run better and make it easier to work on as it removes a ton of hoses etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts