SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Let me start by saying that my bike experience up till now is a older honda cruizer and CBR600RR that I sold last summer. I picked up a WR250X a week ago and absolutely love it. Way more fun. But...
when I get it up to 70-80 mph it feels very twitchy/shakey. The bars just feel like they could send ya in to a tankslapper if you aren't careful. On my old bike I could cruise at 80-90 one-handed. I wouldn't dream of letting go with one hand on the WRX.

So my question is.. Is that normal due to the nature of the bike (long travel/short wheellbase), or is something up? Or is it just my inexperience with a tard style bike?

And, what would smooth it out..besides a steering dampener?

Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Bearsfan... My DRZ does the same thing. I believe its because of what you suspect, the long suspension travel, combined with the light weight. Feels a bit twitchy on straight line-higher speeds. I too came off of a 600RR and they are like comparing apples and hotdogs, the only thing they have in common are tires.

I dont know what you weigh, or how your suspension is set up, but stiffening things up a big in front will help as well as lowering your fork legs through the triple clamps. Eventually, as money permits, im going to re-spring my front end with Racetech or Lindemann valves and springs.

Another rider on here, I dont remember his name, lowered his bike an inch or so and revalved the forks, he said it made a world of difference for straight line high speed stuff. (as well as corners of course).

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
7 Posts
trim ur front fender

My XR was doing that at 80mph or higher, but I trimmed my XR650R front fender and it no longer shakes or shimmies, everyone told me "you need your wheels balanced.
But as soon as I trimmed it about 6 inches, it goes well over 90mph with no wiggling.

Oh yeah, hanging over your front end and kinda leaning in on the bars helps too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts