SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I think I am going to order rims and spokes and lace/have a set laced to my hubs, unless there is a set I can use that I haven't found yet. I would prefer to have both a DS setup and SM but oh well.

My main question is on finding a brake relocation bracket. My bike has Marzocchi's on it, with Brembo's.

Also looking at an FCR or TM40.

Would it be better to post this in the KTM area?

Thanks,
Jay

Oh, I live in New Castle IN and can't wait to hit the local track. Anyone know what the next date is? I look forward to seeing some of you there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Helpful

Just wanted to chime back in and mention how helpful this thread has been.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photos...

Ha! Well, juicehall, I ended up not doing anything with it. Employer shut down, too many projects, yada, yada....

Anyway, here it is. Stock, as it sits to this day.

Haven't figured out what I want to do with it. Part of me still wants to SM it but I am worried about parts being expensive and hard to find for it. May do a bike a little better for the trail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look, really I could use some advice. I want a streetable SM that I can learn to ride hard, relatively low maintenance and that's able to move my big ass(280lbs). I thought this was about right, but, is this what I should endeavor to do or move on?

I am having a hard time with the idea of selling this to get a DRZ400SM, etc. But, could a 640-690 already sm'ed make more sense?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I just converted my 96 ktm to supermoto. Most of the places I ride (off road) the supermoto setup does great. You would be amazed at how well it does outside of mud and sand. Even the sand isn't so bad if you drop your tire pressure.

Ok so the old bikes had a small axle. A couple years after they went to like a 20 I think from a 17 and in 2003 they stepped it up to a 26mm. I could be wrong about the sizes but that doesn't matter just the 2003 and later.

I found the cheapest and easiest thing to do was buy a front end off of a later (2003+) bike that way I wasn't making my own wheels to do the conversion. I bought a front end off a 2008 sxf for I think $200 in pristine condition. After that used ktm wheel sets seem to be the cheapest. I think I paid 400 for my with 2 sets of tires or you could go warp9racing.com I LOVE there wheels and customer service also I have an account there and I sell entire wheel/tire packages at a reasonable price, but thats still more than used.

So buy the front end you know forks, triples, axle and front brake it all bolts up to the bike no mods needed. The rear wheel will fit your bike they haven't changed that since like 1986.

Do it and you will love the bike. You will use it more because it will actually be fun on the asphalt and it will still kick ass on trails and single track. The old lc4 was a kick ass motor. Don't sell your bike keep the one you've got and have fun.
Of course if you don't want to replace your front end that's ok. You can buy a modern wheel set and have spacers made for your wheels. I can't remember who I bought a set from but it was about 100 dollars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking into it. THANKS! I will explore what you have mentioned. Looking into adapters, complete swaps, etc. I have a lot of ideas in mind but I need to remember it is more important to just ride than worry about what I want to do eventually.

I have had this bike for some time now and haven't ridden it at all mostly because of the outstanding Edelbrock on it. I really need to get the mechanical issues straight on it, I guess. Just about have it figured out, hopefully. May do an FCR or something before starting any other mods but need to make sure everything's on hand for the swap.

I need to find a local group of riders. Sheesh.

I will update this thread if I do anything. Even if it is FOUR years later, again. :rolleyes: Better late than never!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts