SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many requests over the years about fitting XR650R wheels to XR600s and vice versa, none with a decent explanation unfortunately. (nothing turned up on search)
I would like to clear this up a bit with a proper how to since I have a chance on getting my hands on a set of cast SM wheels for a XR650R, whereas I got the '91 XR600.

Before I go down this route, I'm sure people have tried it. Not sure if anyone succeeded?
The main problem is the axle sizes; front 15v17mm and rear 17/20v20mm for the 600R and 650R respectively.
This will require change of bearings, and fabrication of an axle sleeve. Unless you can take out the collar of the 650R wheel and replace it with a collar with I.D. 15mm for the front. Is this possible?

Custom spacers to align the brake discs is an easy task, changing the 240mm disc to a 220m disc for the 600R can be sorted with either a caliper bracket or change of caliper as a whole. Unless you wanna go the 320 route.

More information is welcome, as soon as I have managed to sort it out I will post a decent explanation here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out the wheels I got off a XR650R are originally from either a GS500E/GSX600F/GSX750F and were changed to fit a XR650R.

The front wheel had 20x42x12 6004LU bearings with an inner spacer with OD20 ID17 to fit the original XR650R axle. Just whipped those out and will order original Suzuki GS500 bearing kit, containing 15x42x13 bearings and an original spacer for in between the bearings. This will make for an easy fit with XR600R 15mm axle. Will get custom spacers made to align brake and will post measurements later.

Also checked the rear wheel; has 6204LU bearing 20x47x14 on the disc side, and a 6305LU 25x62x17 bearing on the sprocket side. On the sprocket side a collar with OD 25mm ID 20mm has been fitted to protect the bearing.
Again whipping these out, ordering the right bearings and an inner spacer with ID 17 will make an easy fit with the XR600R axle.
Seems to be fairly straight forward so far. Will post dimensions of spacers for brake disc alignment later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts