SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this site however I thought I'd share my Supermoto build with you all. I recently pulled my old '84 model XR350R that I used to ride during my teens out of a shed at my Dad's and have decided to 'tard it. The bike is in good original condition, however it has been sitting in a farm shed for 10+ years, so it dirty, the plastics are badly faded and there is surface rust on lots of bits.

In building this bike I am going to endeavour to find a balance between the bling/performance of new bits, and the integrity and character of a mid 80's bike.

So far I have only stripped the bike down, however through trawling through the plethora of information on this forum have decided on a number of mod's and am slowing accumulating the parts i need.

Intended modifications/work

- sandblast frame, and powdercoat in (as close as possible) original colour
- XR 600 front forks and triple clamp
- 17 inch black Excel rims laced to the stock hubs (thinking 4.25 for the rear and 3.5 for the front, open to suggests tho!!)
- XR's Only header
- aftermarket top triple clamp so i cant bolt on a decent set of fat bars
- Easton bars and risers (I have these on an '02 CR250 - awesome bars)
- decent set of footpegs
- brakes im going to leave as standard, I may upgrade the front brake later on, but I will leave the rear swing and drum brake as original to maintain the integrity of the bike.
- new Maier rear guard and headlight suround

Things I'm undecided on..

- what muffler?!?!
- Supermoto front fender or aftermarket XR600 fender
- clarke tank
- original speedo or a digital aftermarket speedo

Things I need help...

- I cant seem to find any companies that manufacture aftermarket side panels for the 83/84 XR350's, I could probably salvage mine (they're not cracked just faded), however i was planning on replacing all the other plastics and would like fresh side panels as well

I lost my iPhone on the weekend (fell out of my pocket with riding a motorbike :rolleyes2:) so all the photo's I have to date have been lost.. I will take some new photo's soon though and hopefully upload them in the not too distant future.

At this stage i wont be doing any engine work/mods, as the engine had only recently been overhauled before it went into storage. At this stage will only be giving it a good clean, and replacing the bolts with stainless allen key bolts to tidy it up a bit..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks cvbdrew. the 500 looks good, what size rims are they? still tossing up what width rim to use..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this site however I thought I'd share my Supermoto build with you all. I recently pulled my old '84 model XR350R that I used to ride during my teens out of a shed at my Dad's and have decided to 'tard it. The bike is in good original condition, however it has been sitting in a farm shed for 10+ years, so it dirty, the plastics are badly faded and there is surface rust on lots of bits.

In building this bike I am going to endeavour to find a balance between the bling/performance of new bits, and the integrity and character of a mid 80's bike.

So far I have only stripped the bike down, however through trawling through the plethora of information on this forum have decided on a number of mod's and am slowing accumulating the parts i need.

Intended modifications/work

- sandblast frame, and powdercoat in (as close as possible) original colour
- XR 600 front forks and triple clamp
- 17 inch black Excel rims laced to the stock hubs (thinking 4.25 for the rear and 3.5 for the front, open to suggests tho!!)
- XR's Only header
- aftermarket top triple clamp so i cant bolt on a decent set of fat bars
- Easton bars and risers (I have these on an '02 CR250 - awesome bars)
- decent set of footpegs
- brakes im going to leave as standard, I may upgrade the front brake later on, but I will leave the rear swing and drum brake as original to maintain the integrity of the bike.
- new Maier rear guard and headlight suround

Things I'm undecided on..

- what muffler?!?!
- Supermoto front fender or aftermarket XR600 fender
- clarke tank
- original speedo or a digital aftermarket speedo

Things I need help...

- I cant seem to find any companies that manufacture aftermarket side panels for the 83/84 XR350's, I could probably salvage mine (they're not cracked just faded), however i was planning on replacing all the other plastics and would like fresh side panels as well

I lost my iPhone on the weekend (fell out of my pocket with riding a motorbike :rolleyes2:) so all the photo's I have to date have been lost.. I will take some new photo's soon though and hopefully upload them in the not too distant future.

At this stage i wont be doing any engine work/mods, as the engine had only recently been overhauled before it went into storage. At this stage will only be giving it a good clean, and replacing the bolts with stainless allen key bolts to tidy it up a bit..
Nice! I love old air cooled thumpers

I've got some parts you may be interested in, everything came off my 84 XL600R a few weeks ago.

Black Clarke Tank (custom made, usually available in clear or red only, 2 month wait for it)
Black Side plastics (OE reproductions from DG plastics)
Black SM front fender (Acerbis)
FMF powerbomb header (brand new, never installed)
Complete Big Gun Exhaust (used, headers and pipe) may need to move mounting bracket?? not sure
Moose Black Headlight with Smoked LED turn signals
Pro-Taper Oversized bars, with adapter/riser/bolts for std triple clamp
OE seat with ok seat cover

Shoot me a PM if you want anything.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks cvbdrew. the 500 looks good, what size rims are they? still tossing up what width rim to use..
If memory serves me correct... the front was a 19" and the rear was a 17". No idea what the width was. They were off a BMW touring bike, laced up to the stock XR hubs. It was a budget build... like usual... and I found a wheel shop that had the used BMW rims and spokes to get the job done cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frame stripped. I ended up having to cut the swing arm bolt out as it was sized in there.. I have since straightened a bend i nthe subframe and asm preparing it for paint

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
progress

I can't seem to to get photo's to upload from photobucket :headscrat , but this is where I will be uploading photo's of the build to.

http://s1359.beta.photobucket.com/u...ibrary/?&_suid=135579987289708257694132901868

I have had a little bit of progress, not a heap though as everything always seems to take three times longer than expected. The swingarm bolt was seized and had to be cut out which slowed me down a bit and there was a slight bend in the subframe that also needed to be straightened. The stand mount had snapped off the frame previously and had ben welded back on, but the job was rough so that needed a tidy up. The next stage is to get the frame prep'd for painting and get it painted so thaat i can start bolting parts back on.

So far I have managed to get an 85 XR350 front hub, 85 XR 350 rear hub, 89 XR600 forks and triple clamp, aftermarket black gripper seat cover, an extended dakar style front fairing/windsheild and filters and other odds and ends. I have contacted a wheel builder here in Melbourne who I will probably get to build my wheels, however I will most likely buy the rims from the States and just get him to build them as it will work out a shite load cheaper. I'm finding that parts from the States including freight are much cheaper than parts sourced locally. The forks and triple clamps I bought were from the States and cost US$250 including freight - the cheapest I could find locally was AU$450. AS you can see from the photos the plastics are in not too bad conditio apart from being faded. I went and bought some wet and dry sand paper the other night and I intend on trying the wet and dry and heat gun treatment on them. Decided against an aftermarket triple clamp and fat bars and instead bought a set of renthals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts