SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I lost pressure in my clutch lever.
Checked the fluid and it’s at the way bottom of the reservoir

I checked the line out of the reservoir, followed it to the slave cylinder and checked around for any leaks.. don’t see any fluid..

I have to assume either the slave cylinder failed and the fluid may have entered the engine.. or the fluid did leak out around the slave cylinder when hot because I do see the gasket looks slightly off.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Does anyone know how to diagnose the slave cylinder? If removed the rest of the oil would drain out? What am I looking for to find failure?

The bike only has about 1300 miles.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
83 Posts
From your pictures, I would say your problem is leaking fluid at the slave cylinder. I assume you removed the slave guard is why you are missing the bottom bolt? Install a new gasket, top up your fluid, bleed the clutch and finally have the correct amount of fluid, install the cap and keep an eye on the reservoir......

·
Registered
52 Posts
From your pictures, I would say your problem is leaking fluid at the slave cylinder. I assume you removed the slave guard is why you are missing the bottom bolt? Install a new gasket, top up your fluid, bleed the clutch and finally have the correct amount of fluid, install the cap and keep an eye on the reservoir......
This may turn out to be a bit of a bandaid to what could be the inevitable replacement of the slave cylinder. Still a fairly easy repair.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if it's under warranty, have the dealer fix it

most likely a bad slave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So here’s where I’m at.

Slave cylinder did fail, once removed the rubber boot wasn’t in place and the fluid clearly drained into the bike.

In speaking to the dealer it is a common issue, my dealer told me that husqvarna believes Magura had a “bad batch” go out of production.

My dealer would gladly warranty this, but the parts are backordered till at least mid October. AND I live about 3 hours from the dealer, that would be 12 hours of driving total (there and back twice)

This leaves me wanting to fix the issue myself, regardless of the cost of a slave cylinder. (No the dealer won’t reimburse me, even if I sent the defective parts to them, I asked)

So now I’m left with two aftermarket options.
Rekluse and Oberon

Edit: I went with the Rekluse, Install went very smoothly, They gave me a great rundown over the phone as to how to fill the unit off the bike, install then bleed the system, and adjust their adjustment screw to work with with the stock clutch. It feels great, back to normal!

Thanks Rekluse

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I believe the KTM Brembo seal fits, and solves the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the KTM Brembo seal fits, and solves the problem.
I believe your correct that it fits, but I do not think it has the second bleeder port, so you would have to swap the line also for a banjo bolt style, to use the single port bleeder setup.
(Pretty sure)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Oberon seems to be the more prevalent replacement part. At least in the U.S. Also note the obvious bleeder valve.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also to say that "good on you" that you got a good working replacement part & got it installed to proper working condition. Back to normal and back to riding. Couldn't be better in the big picture!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Oberon seems to be the more prevalent replacement part. At least in the U.S. Also note the obvious bleeder valve.
Yea, the Rekluse unit for the 701 has the bleeder also. See pic. (They have a “universal” picture on their website which can confuse someone..)

Everyone (including a long time mx mechanic), I had asked hadn’t ever heard of Oberon... Though that means nothing about their product!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also to say that "good on you" that you got a good working replacement part & got it installed to proper working condition. Back to normal and back to riding. Couldn't be better in the big picture!
Thanks! Agreed, dropping it at a dealer with parts being backordered, could leave me lonely for months!!

I realized the problem Monday(Labor Day) and was back up and running by Thursday night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
2nd Failure of the slave cylinder on my 2018 701 SM

Husqvarna should have ordered a batch of the replacement slave cylinders given they know there are problems, so that the repairs could be dealt with in a timely manner. My first failure was at the track - less than 1300 miles on the bike. They fixed under warranty with OEM slave cylinder. Failed again last w/end while riding the canyons at 2100 miles!

Now at dealer for repair. Hopefully the replacement (non-OEM) slave cylinder is available sooner than October! I have a track day on the 14th!

Very pissed!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know it’s al older thread but can someone that has had the slave failure tell me what the symptoms are ?
I was out riding today, I came to stop at a traffic light, had the clutch lever pulled in/ clutch disengaged and the bike started rolling and then it died, put in in neutral, started it, first gear and the same thing happened. When the tow truck arrived, I had a hard time putting the transmission in neutral, clutch barely working, can someone confirm that it might be a slave cylinder failure ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I know it’s al older thread but can someone that has had the slave failure tell me what the symptoms are ?
I was out riding today, I came to stop at a traffic light, had the clutch lever pulled in/ clutch disengaged and the bike started rolling and then it died, put in in neutral, started it, first gear and the same thing happened. When the tow truck arrived, I had a hard time putting the transmission in neutral, clutch barely working, can someone confirm that it might be a slave cylinder failure ?
Sounds like it.
Check your clutch master cylinder fluid level. If very low- almost certainly a slave cylinder seal failure.

My dealer has given me 2 (high quality?) O rings for my 2 2017 Husky’s. Claims once replaced, the problem is avoided. (IE none of the replacement seals have failed)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like it.
Check your clutch master cylinder fluid level. If very low- almost certainly a slave cylinder seal failure.

My dealer has given me 2 (high quality?) O rings for my 2 2017 Husky’s. Claims once replaced, the problem is avoided. (IE none of the replacement seals have failed)
Thanks for your reply, I will check the reservoir tomorrow or Monday morning and I’ll report back, hopefully that is the problem, if so, I might just swap it with an Oberon or a Recluse slave.
Very disappointed as this was only my second ride on this bike, I bought it used with only 1850 miles on it, I’m the second owner.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As I say:

It’s claimed replacing the seal (O ring) with a superior one is a “fix”
Certainly replacing the piston with a KTM/Brembo one is a well known “cure”.

Replacing the whole Slave cylinder might be overkill.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess you could call replacing the whole slave cyl overkill. You have to balance out the budget issue with the availability of parts. I went with the whole slave out of consideration of time to get the parts and overall peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I guess you could call replacing the whole slave cyl overkill. You have to balance out the budget issue with the availability of parts. I went with the whole slave out of consideration of time to get the parts and overall peace of mind.
Probably higher quality.
Potentially a different ratio.
Definitely “tricker”.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts