SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 1723 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a thread to post pics of your new Husky, issues since you bought the bike, component replacements, upgrades, workarounds, OEM tires, ECU changes, upgrades, etc.

Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tip 1. When you get the cable from your dealer (you shouldn't have to pay for it) there are 3 settings for the ABS. One is ABS on both wheels, another is front wheels only, and last is rear wheel only. I don't recall factory setting but I believe it's front only.

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.[/QUOTE]

Senator can you provide more detail, please?

Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
ALSO
Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?

·
Registered
27 Posts
my future 701 mods

Changes Planned/Thinking about:

Already have my Wings.

Planning the air box and canister delete.

steering dampener if needed after initial ride.

Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

Crash protection, like frame sliders and axel sliders.

Gas cap

reinforced sub frame bolts

power commander to remap after air box delete..
I don't think i can find anyone on the islands who can do a reflash of the stock unit and i am not comfortable doing it myself.

Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Tip 2. I got this from a KTM insider: ECU doesn't need much of anything since it's mapped to Europe Enduro, they also state power bandwidth is set pretty high as well.
Can't guarantee dongle for ABS is free b
Senator can you provide more detail, please?

Doesn't need much of anything: Does that simply mean that the fueling is not lean from the factory? or is there something else that this refers to?
ALSO
Can others confirm that they are getting the ABS dongle for free?[/QUOTE]

Can't confirm free dongle but since it adjusts ABS I'd saw others are not paying for it. The other suggestions I got were most of issues of 690 complaints were adjusted and fixed and got a power boost and better ECU mapping. I can only say what I've heard and that's a great bike overall. I mean after all, the owners so far are really happy. Not much Bitching considering it's a newer bike in many areas. And good looking as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for this Thread bloody annoyed getting my post over flooded by things not related to moding up the bike etc.:thumbup:

I ordered the new Remus exhaust Race only without catalytic converter optimised to gain performance and more torque. Pretty expensive but cheaper than the akrapovic that has catalytic converter(heavier) AND HAS AN un-removable db killer(removable if you have the tools to drill the carbon fiber :hmmm:

About the air box I have seen people opening it up more(eliminating side panels or just poking holes into it). Why not just remove the air box all together. Any down side to this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
lithium ion battery, i got recommend to buy Antigravity but i have no experience with any lithium ion batteries

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Changes Planned/Thinking about:

Already have my Wings.

Trying to cut weight more than anything. so lithium ion battery, ANY recommendations on which one i should get?

Has anyone considered trying to mount a quick shifter on one?
I put a cheap lithium battery in my 690. It's the size designed for the 450s etc (I have one in my 450 as well). So there is room in the repositioned battery box (Airbox removed. EvoII filter) for my iPhone.
No problems so far. Cranks the bike over better than the big heavy stock battery. I can't remember the brand name right now - common in Australia.

I put a Quick Shifter on (the 690). (Starline) It's cool and works as advertisedl, but for the riding I like, not really suited. (Sometimes cuts/farts when I'm rev matching on the down shifts or doing a normal up shift (with clutch). The sensitivity needs adjusting if I swap boots - MX boots stiff, road race boots soft.
I think part of the problem is:with no linkage like a sports bike, it relays on some sort of black magic to sense the torque on the gear stick. (Piezo washer under the bolt!)
I'm planning on taking it off and fitting it to my race bike. (525SM)

·
Registered
27 Posts
airbox mods

I have been doing a lot of reading on the KTM threads and here is best information I can find. Granted, its for an older 690 but it would appear that the air box has not changed that much since 2008.

It would appear that the air box delete, "no air box RU17500" (red) has more power over the whole range, when compared to stock (blue). "-airbox lid" (green) has more mid range than both, but less top end than either.

I would take the overall improvement (red) over the Stronger midrange at the expense of top end.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rally Raid gas cap and a good mirror option

Has anyone found a USA source for this?
It seems like Rally Raid is the only company that makes it with the SAS hose attachment deleted.

ALSO

I'm looking for a good option for a mirror that will use stock mounts. Something someone has bought and loved.
I just want a single (left) one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Has anyone found a USA source for this?
It seems like Rally Raid is the only company that makes it with the SAS hose attachment deleted.

ALSO

I'm looking for a good option for a mirror that will use stock mounts. Something someone has bought and loved.
I just want a single (left) one.
what is the mod exactly? Just a different air filter box?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Air box delete

what is the mod exactly? Just a different air filter box?
Removing the air box and putting only a K&N filter. cuts about 5 POUNDS! off the bike.

the one you can buy is the EVOII kit and looks like this when done...(top)

OR home made (Bottom image)

Lots of how to videos on you tube for the KTM 690. same thing BUT i have not decided if i am going to buy a the kit or the more DIY route. ANY opinions from you guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've had great luck with Shorai batteries, an LFX14-L2 has never given me any problems (in 3+ years) in my SV1000.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Removing the air box and putting only a K&N filter. cuts about 5 POUNDS! off the bike.

the one you can buy is the EVOII kit and looks like this when done...(top)

OR home made (Bottom image)

Lots of how to videos on you tube for the KTM 690. same thing BUT i have not decided if i am going to buy a the kit or the more DIY route. ANY opinions from you guys?
Not that expensive for the k&n filter, but does it full fit for the 701? Also that evoII kit what is it exactly? an air filter too ? In that case what should I get? k&N or the evoII kit?

K&N filter for the ktm690smcr is for year 2012, do i have to worry about it? Also

Running with only k&n filter is harmful or is it designed to handle it without the airbox?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd expect fueling to be a little off with no airbox but otherwise it should be ok unless there's a crankcase vent going to it or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone been able to verify if the K&N air filter for the 690 will fit the 701 as well? I'm picking mine up from the dealership on Saturday. Thanks guys! Also have you guys been able to find any exhausts or power commanders that fit them?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
exhaust

On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

1. Akropvic
2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

The first one is legal on most streets.
The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell if it is illegal in the state of California. If it doesn't have the make and model of the bike stamped on the side of it, along with all the legal mumbo jumbo it is illegal. CARB has empowered the CHP to enforce motorcycle emissions seeing how CARB couldn't get the state to do emissions testing on MCs every other year, treadmill, visual all the hoops. BLM will also check for your canister and air pump if you try to enter a BLM area. So, yes your brand new shiny 701s have Husqvarna and 701 stamped in 1 inch high letters. Not quite sure on the height but close enough. I know it is done all the time, fitting FMFs, or what not, to anything with two wheels. Alot of dealerships will not do it because of the potential CARB fine. Chaparral here reports your VIN to CARB when buying an exhaust, and yes they take it from your registration. Local police can only do noise checks.

We must...We must...increase our boost

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm interested in the potential of the stock ECU unit on this bike. It seems to be the same as the one used in the 690 SMC-R. I would love to mess around with it and maybe even build an Android app for switching maps/checking codes.

1. Has anyone been able to successfully use the KTM USB-OBD cable + TuneECU to get any readings from the onboard computer?

(cable) http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/KTM.html
(apk) https://www.apkfiles.com/apk-478338/tuneecu

2. What resources do we have available for the Keihin LC4I002 unit? Google hasn't been very useful, I just found a bunch of used listings on eBay. I'm more concerned with schematics, tools, etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On the Husky website they show 2 slip ons for the 701Supermoto:

1. Akropvic
2. FMF Team Blue Factory carbon fibre and titanium.

The first one is legal on most streets.
The FMF is for off road use. When I searched 701S partd using a PC it wouldn't show the FMF pipe (as mentioned previously.
When I use my phone's browser it comes up. It's a nice looking slip on but I bet it's at least illegal in CA but not certain where else. Considering the amount of noisy HD and other bikes I hear on the roads, I don't think the FMF will get you pulled over, not to mention it's nearly impossible to know if it's illegal. If they impound it or look carefully, all bets are off. I know there's a warning sticker on most new FMFs but don't recall if it's a sticker or engraved on the pipe itself.
I asked my dealer and an American dealer and they said the FMF doesn't fit the 701(it's just listed as part of new release items)

1 - 20 of 1723 Posts