SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 701 this summer and I am questioning which one I should get.

I will ride about 70/30 (road (twisties, commuting) / offroad).

I would like to get a second set of wheels to have the best of both world but I'm wondering if I'm better to start with the supermoto and get a set of dirt wheels or the enduro and a get set of supermoto wheels.

Which one is the easiest to convert from?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you mean off road as in single track and some gnarly bits then get the enduro up front. If off road means gravel roads then a supermoto with a second set of tyres.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went with the enduro with warp 9 wheels and I mainly ride street. I like the suspension better on the enduro it works great both on and off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I have a 17 SM and my answer may suprise you.

I will take this to PM only if you would like to discuss further. I will not post findings here any longer there are too many feeling that get butthurt when facts are exposed.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I will take this to PM only if you would like to discuss further. I will not post findings here any longer there are too many feeling that get butthurt when facts are exposed.
Screw the people that get but hurt I want to hear your findings.

·
Registered
51 Posts

My biggest question on this Bike is like a street bike or a Supermoto. My 2010 KTM 690 Duke is more like a street bike. I like the 690 engine but want a street legal Supermoto.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Random contributions

A 21” front won’t fit on an SM with the radial brake caliper.

You can’t hide the size, weight, and steering lock on these bikes. IMHO they make poor trail bikes. (Or the lightest Adventure bike around)

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Findings....:

Fabulous motor..... tons of power stock and vibrations of earlier models and Lc4 engines in those huge eyeball shaking quantities are gone. I have ridden 250+mi in a day and my hands do not even tingle.

Are there issues one should consider?? well yes bob there are.... and some are becoming rather long in tooth, and for KTM and Husqvarna to be a part of criminal activity and complacent to it... well I guess we shall see what the outcomes are but I don't see them as being good for corporate but at some point it has to stop or a brand and a company will ruin it for themselves............ and us.

Who buys a line of product.... remodels it and builds it into a premium line.....
Touts what they are building and bringing to market ..... then........
Builds a product that appeals to the masses and then after building it realizes.....
They have broken Laws in many areas and did so with disregard and negligence....??
Allowed dealers to take possession of product and sell, but not allow customer ANY recourse
to actually get all we paid for??????.... not even a call back after repeated attempts.??? (Hey Mr Dealer... I paid you $$$ for this product, Can I have all of the stuff that came inside the crate with the other bikes I have seen sold on the East coast or are you KTM/HSQ corporate going to let the Authorized Dealer STEAL it from me and just shelve it and sell it for profit????
How many times would you like a customer of KTM's premier bikes to have repeated SEAT failures before you just fix it once and for all??.... I am gonna bet HUGE FUC&!N%...$$$$ you wouldn't ever do that on a KTM branded model of any bike.... but you did to ALL 701 owners in 16/17 model bikes on both the Supermoto and Enduro models. You squeeked some out for some owners and when you realized just how big the situation was you screwed the rest and stopped warranty and quit communicating..... Oh, a HSQ customer, no biggie.... you don't give a sh!t and it will just be swept under the counter.......it will be chalked up to a "learning experience or a cust serv mis understanding" but no Misunderstanding here... paid Full cash price.... never received complete contents.... and still waiting. Never even received a welcome letter or ANY paperwork from Husqvarna usa that I have even purchased a thing..... ugh..... the best/worst $13K+ I have ever spent on any bike purchase.
How does a Manufacturer knowingly sell a product that has known failures and repeated complaints yet no resolve or even a call back to assist customers who have repeatedly called and requested some type of resolve??? (KTM you have failed alot of peeps on this..... the calls I finally had with individuals involved at your Temecula location show they are not getting help from Corp Austria either.....) especially knowing what type of failure it is and a KNOWN SAFETY ISSUE TO HAVE FALSE NUETRALS ON A DOT RIDDEN MOTORCYCLE let alone fall off from a slick seat or one with decals peeling off the seating surfaces. How un nerving to ride a bike that may or may not shift correctly from the factory and they will NOT fix it and you must do so on your own and the bike is still to be known to be under factory warranty??
What type of company sells to its customers, "Performance" products under known advertising and intent and when it is caught leaves those that purchased said content hanging?? and with no recourse Uh, that's right can't return a race part nor will they any longer allow dealers to Map the bike according to the product they sold their customers and gladly took the money for and did so with intent to Defraud and hoped they would not get caught.....(Hello CARB) ..................... at some point it has to be about more than just profit because if not it will surely sour many and buyers will take recourse and then shop elsewhere....
Is it common place for a new Bike that uses DOT tires to have to be taken to a competitor's shop just to have the wheels and tires balanced because the selling dealer's Shop Manager cannot even get it right?? Bikes not PDI'd correctly but dealer paid for it... and still after taking it back repeatedly they cannot even balance a wheel?? Shakes so badly I was tempted to return the bike completely. Pathetic for the money we spent. Sours one to further or repeated sales and product usage.

This bike was and has given me the most extreme highs and lows of bike emotions from a sh!t sales Mgr. who cannot even get a bike ready for a customer and shop owner who yells at customers out in the parking lot?? to a downright complacent Manufacturer of a supposed premium line of Motorcycles.

Is it a street bike??....... nope... IT is a Supermoto bike and is infected with some SD parts....it is also a Street bike as well as what we know of some parts.....but there are Limits in its current form. It could be a real monster and be very comparable to current race bikes but it will be costly and take some serious work to get some things handled and done so if one really wants to push one of these Sm bikes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Findings....:

Fabulous motor..... tons of power stock and vibrations of earlier models and Lc4 engines in those huge eyeball shaking quantities are gone. I have ridden 250+mi in a day and my hands do not even tingle.

Are there issues one should consider?? well yes bob there are.... and some are becoming rather long in tooth, and for KTM and Husqvarna to be a part of criminal activity and complacent to it... well I guess we shall see what the outcomes are but I don't see them as being good for corporate but at some point it has to stop or a brand and a company will ruin it for themselves............ and us.

Who buys a line of product.... remodels it and builds it into a premium line.....
Builds a product that appeals to the masses and then after building it realizes.....
They have broken Laws in many areas and did so with disregard and negligence....??
Allowed dealers to take possession of product and sell, but not allow customer ANY recourse
to actually get all we paid for??????.... not even a call back after repeated attempts.??? (Hey Mr Dealer... I paid you $$$ for this product, Can I have all of the stuff that came inside the crate with the other bikes I have seen sold on the East coast or are you KTM/HSQ corporate going to let the Authorized Dealer STEAL it from me and just shelve it and sell it for profit????
How many times would you like a customer of KTM's premier bikes to have repeated SEAT failures before you just fix it once and for all??.... I am gonna bet HUGE FUC&!N%...$$$$ you wouldn't ever do that on a KTM branded model of any bike.... but you did to ALL 701 owners in 16/17 model bikes on both the Supermoto and Enduro models. You squeeked some out for some owners and when you realized just how big the situation was you screwed the rest and stopped warranty and quit communicating..... Oh, a HSQ customer, no biggie.... you don't give a sh!t and it will just be swept under the counter.......it will be chalked up to a "learning experience or a cust serv mis understanding" but no Misunderstanding here... paid Full cash price.... never received complete contents.... and still waiting. Never even received a welcome letter or ANY paperwork from Husqvarna usa that I have even purchased a thing..... ugh..... the best/worst $13K+ I have ever spent on any bike purchase.
How does a Manufacturer knowingly sell a product that has known failures and repeated complaints yet no resolve or even a call back to assist customers who have repeatedly called and requested some type of resolve??? (KTM you have failed alot of peeps on this..... the calls I finally had with individuals involved at your Temecula location show they are not getting help from Corp Austria either.....) especially knowing what type of failure it is and a KNOWN SAFETY ISSUE TO HAVE FALSE NUETRALS ON A DOT RIDDEN MOTORCYCLE let alone fall off from a slick seat or one with decals peeling off the seating surfaces. How un nerving to ride a bike that may or may not shift correctly from the factory and they will NOT fix it and you must do so on your own and the bike is still to be known to be under factory warranty??
What type of company sells to its customers, "Performance" products under known advertising and intent and when it is caught leaves those that purchased said content hanging?? and with no recourse Uh, that's right can't return a race part nor will they any longer allow dealers to Map the bike according to the product they sold their customers and gladly took the money for and did so with intent to Defraud and hoped they would not get caught.....(Hello CARB) ..................... at some point it has to be about more than just profit because if not it will surely sour many and buyers will take recourse and then shop elsewhere....
Is it common place for a new Bike that uses DOT tires to have to be taken to a competitor's shop just to have the wheels and tires balanced because the selling dealer's Shop Manager cannot even get it right?? Bikes not PDI'd correctly but dealer paid for it... and still after taking it back repeatedly they cannot even balance a wheel?? Shakes so badly I was tempted to return the bike completely. Pathetic for the money we spent. Sours one to further or repeated sales and product usage.

This bike was and has given me the most extreme highs and lows of bike emotions from a sh!t sales Mgr. who cannot even get a bike ready for a customer and shop owner who yells at customers out in the parking lot?? to a downright complacent Manufacturer of a supposed premium line of Motorcycles.

Is it a street bike??....... nope... IT is a Supermoto bike and is infected with some SD parts....it is also a Street bike as well as what we know of some parts.....but there are Limits in its current form. It could be a real monster and be very comparable to current race bikes but it will be costly and take some serious work to get some things handled and done so if one really wants to push one of these Sm bikes.
Wow you really had a bad experience with the dealer and corporate. If you don’t mind me asking what dealer did you go to so I can avoid them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
501 Vs 701 supermoto

The 701 is a factory designed sm.
Nice bike.
I bought the 17 501 converted to sm.
240 lbs dry.
Love the lite weight and extra power. Up from my 16 drz400sm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Findings....:

I think you might have mental issues TBH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
husky Kim lying

Your right about the bait and switch.
When I was buying my 17 501,i asked the dealer where the map switch was, and the traction control?.
Oh.
The bikes in the USA don't get those options.
The ones that the advertisers told us about.
Maps and traction control.
Runs dangerously lean to pass emissions.
So I've ordered the VORTEX ECU.
Comes with 10 maps. Only way to affect fuel and ignition timing together. You can buy the handlebar switch as well.
This WILL make the bike run like it should. Better then the E. U. map
Not like a choked up chicken.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I think you might have mental issues TBH.
No your problem is I am more than you can even consider to handle. You got nothing.

And by posting that are you not violating site rules about personal attacks?? If you think it is not and fair game and your open to a tongue lashing get the mods here to allow it and we will go at it. Otherwise please post and add to the forum not attack the members here when they post Fact and have contact already at the Factory on said issues.

I posted earlier on in the thread that some may not like what I posted..... if your small lil brain and thought process actually read it and paid attention you would know that... but your only defence is an offense to belittle and try and make someone look bad. Keep tryin.........

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Jeez mate, forget to take your medication this morning?

WEAK SAUCE......... and a pathetic attempt to act the victim??

You have been a member here a total of 3-4 months, and don't even have post counts that equal my age... and that is all you can come up with is to attempt to insinuate I forgot something??? :D:D

MindFuc&!ng you is going to be fun..... as it seems it already is.... you took the whole line and sinker..... do you always swallow like that???

·
Registered
28 Posts
701 makes a great road SM. Its low maintenance and you can still run it pretty hard, but its no racing bike, thank god, I like the 10K service intervals. Its definitely a street SM IMO. The most annoying thing to me is the bloody ABS, but I've got used to turning it off when I start it. On the odd occasion I get a little carried away, I can feel a little too much flex in the chassis and limitations of the front end, but its a road bike, and I've had the same experiences on stock superbikes I've owned in the past, before I've tracked them up a little.

I've had a few false neutrals, but I dont know why they would be dangerous. I've never had them on down shift, which is really the only time they could be dangerous, as you enter a corner. On up shift, you look like a tit for a second, but thats all it is. click the lever up again, and resume the ride. In a race situation I'd agree it would be dangerous, but not on the road, and I've had so few, that I've never really even considered doing anything about it. I wear gaerne sg10's which may or may not make a difference.

As said before, you cant put big wheels on the SM. If you want to run gravel, the stock bike is fine as it is. perhaps put on some more gravelly tyres, but I run on fire roads and gravel all the time with no issues, on the stock tyres (although I have put tubes in them now). If you want to run "off road" get the enduro, but anything classed as a "road", the SM handles just fine. The only thing I would say, if you go enduro, you'd probably be able to cook the front brake and tie the front suspension in knots if you ran it hard on the road.

My dealer has been great. Had the front seat sticker replaced, got the performance map free, and the bike service was fine. I also got all the bits I believe I was due, plus a free stock enduro sump guard that someone didnt want. I think the stock seat is fine, perhaps little high at the front, as I tend to sit right up by the front sticker. I wear leather pants all the time, and find the seat pretty grippy. I have never noticed any vibes on this bike, but then I raced these things in Europe for more than a decade when I was younger, and those things used to be vibey!

Let try and keep these threads useful. I'm sorry some have had bad experiences with dealers, it happens sometimes, especially when you start dealing with niche markets and manufacturers. Do your homework, visit the dealer if you can, and ask customers about their experiences. Also find out as much about your purchase as you can, and then query the dealer on things you KNOW. you'll soon find out if they know their equipment, or just spout marketing rubbish. Also note that different markets get different options, just like different dealers will give you different freebies, it can make things a little confusing.

Rich, motarding since the 90's :rock:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a bad experience with the closest dealer to my house. So guess what I drove 3 hours to get my bike lol screw that place.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your right about the bait and switch.
When I was buying my 17 501,i asked the dealer where the map switch was, and the traction control?.
Oh.
The bikes in the USA don't get those options.
The ones that the advertisers told us about.
Maps and traction control.
Runs dangerously lean to pass emissions.
So I've ordered the VORTEX ECU.
Comes with 10 maps. Only way to affect fuel and ignition timing together. You can buy the handlebar switch as well.
This WILL make the bike run like it should. Better then the E. U. map
Not like a choked up chicken.
I put a Vortex ECU on my 690 SMC. Pricey but well worth the performance improvement and peace of mind. Had the Akra map on it and it originally and was never satisfied with it. The Tune ECU maps can be a crap shoot IMO. The Vortex is a very refined product. The bar switch for map change on the fly is also nice. You won't regret it.

Tfunk... Sorry to see you had such an unfortunate experience with your 701 and the unscrupulous dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts