SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I currently own a KTM 990 sm 09 plate which I've had for two months. Had the 950 supermoto for 6 months before that (got a problem, on my 6th bike at 23, going on 7). My local trusty dealer has just become a husky affiliate and I've been eyeing the 701 for a while now. Really like how much lighter and better looking it is than my 990.

My question is how would the 701 (690 smcr) perform as an only bike vs my 990 which I like very much although I feel it's got too much power and weight for the kind of riding I do? I don't have a car but don't use my bike for commuting so that's not going to come into consideration. All of my riding buddies have sportsbikes and I'm already at the back of the pack on ride outs anyway so trying to keep up with them doesn't bother me.

I truly love supermotos and have always had tall bikes with the upright riding position (only way to go when you're 6'3 and are as long limbed as I am). The 701 is just too sexy for words but I'm worried that I'd miss the luxuries a bigger bike brings. I live in the country so 99% of my riding is twisties and back roads. I do almost no motorway cruising or over 80mph speeds and ride in town a fair bit. Any thoughts? Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Which luxuries are you looking for / used to having?

The 701 doesn't have a gear indicator or a fuel level indicator if those are the sort of things you're looking for....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which luxuries are you looking for / used to having?

The 701 doesn't have a gear indicator or a fuel level indicator if those are the sort of things you're looking for....
Just things like the big fuel tank, not sure what the 701's tank range will be like. I haven't got a gear indicator anyway or a fuel level and my 950 didn't have a rev counter ao I'm used to that. Just general comfort really and the advantages a bigger engine brings. Not sure if the 690 engine is all that smooth, how's the injection? I can handle the hard seat as my 990's isn't exactly soft.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My 690 has a 12L tank and the 701 has a 13L tank.
I'm getting about 160 km's (100 miles) before the light turns on and then I'm filling up with 9L that I've burnt.
My 690 is actually the 654cc engine, not the newer 690cc version.
Honestly, I was worried about the vibes before buying it and now that I have it, I don't notice it being "vibey" at all. In fact, I think my WR250X vibrates more.

FYI: The new 2016 Duke 690 has the newest engine with dual counter balancer shafts for an even smoother ride (and extra power, etc.). I was disappointed when I found out that the 701 does not have the new engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 690 has a 12L tank and the 701 has a 13L tank.
I'm getting about 160 km's (100 miles) before the light turns on and then I'm filling up with 9L that I've burnt.
My 690 is actually the 654cc engine, not the newer 690cc version.
Honestly, I was worried about the vibes before buying it and now that I have it, I don't notice it being "vibey" at all. In fact, I think my WR250X vibrates more.

FYI: The new 2016 Duke 690 has the newest engine with dual counter balancer shafts for an even smoother ride (and extra power, etc.). I was disappointed when I found out that the 701 does not have the new engine.
Yeah that seem odd that they didn't stick the new engine in it when the husky's sort of being marketed as being slightly higher spec than the smcr. Ah so fuel won't be a problem for me then. I only get about 110 miles before reserve on the 19 litre tank of the 990 lol. Does your KTM burn much oil?

I've had vibey bikes before, that doesn't really concern me too much. I rode my 660 tenere 1000 miles in a weekend with no complaints. Only that I got wet. How about the seat on yours?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just to clarify in case it's needed...
The 2008 SMC had the 654cc engine, the 2012 SMC-R got the 690cc engine, and only the 2016 Duke 690 has the latest 693cc engine.
The 701 has the 690cc engine.

I haven't noticed the engine burning any oil yet, but I haven't had mine for very long, so I guess "time will tell". But so far so good !! :thumbup:

The seat...It's firm. Not unbearable at all, but so far the longest ride I've done on it was approximately 2 hours. It's nowhere near as comfy as the Seat Concepts seat I have on my WRX.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'll wade in here with my 2c worth.

From your OP, I'd say you would be very happy with the 690 (701). I think perhaps you already suspect that.

I have a 2008 KTM 690 (654) Enduro, usually converted to SM.

I love it.

The few times I've swapped on to my friends Triumph Tiger 800 mid ride, I've thought "WOW what a difference!"
"If I had to ride a long way, especially on a highway, this is 1000 times better. For everything else, give me my bike back!"

When I ride my delightfully well set up, old Suzuki Bandit 1200, it feels turbine smooth, and sports bike like, compared with the 690.

Most of my street riding is on the same back roads in the hills. I enjoy the 690 the most.

They are an awesome bike, but ARE a single:
1.Vibration is not an issue in isolation, but man you notice the smoothness when you go back to a multi.
2.The seat is so hard I find it hilarious. Sometimes I burst out laughing thinking there is an Austrian in a pub saying to his friends "I make the seat from oak, for the joke ya. But no one say anything, and they all like that now! Very funny!" I have a seat concept seat which is twice as comfortably, but makes the bike taller, and being wider, makes the bike more "touring". It's not a touring bike, I don't like touring. I like cornering. I wear pushbike pants under my leathers and use the stock seat.

I'm lucky enough to own a few bikes, and realistically, can now buy any bike I like. (I have considered buying a newer model, but I've done a fair bit of work to mine to get it to suit me. SM conversion. Suspension. Vortex ECU. Evo II air filter. Plus I have a Safari tank, rack, and soft panniers..... That I've never used.)
For the street riding I do, the 690 suits me best.:bannana:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll wade in here with my 2c worth.

From your OP, I'd say you would be very happy with the 690 (701). I think perhaps you already suspect that.

I have a 2008 KTM 690 (654) Enduro, usually converted to SM.

I love it.

The few times I've swapped on to my friends Triumph Tiger 800 mid ride, I've thought "WOW what a difference!"
"If I had to ride a long way, especially on a highway, this is 1000 times better. For everything else, give me my bike back!"

When I ride my delightfully well set up, old Suzuki Bandit 1200, it feels turbine smooth, and sports bike like, compared with the 690.

Most of my street riding is on the same back roads in the hills. I enjoy the 690 the most.

They are an awesome bike, but ARE a single:
1.Vibration is not an issue in isolation, but man you notice the smoothness when you go back to a multi.
2.The seat is so hard I find it hilarious. Sometimes I burst out laughing thinking there is an Austrian in a pub saying to his friends "I make the seat from oak, for the joke ya. But no one say anything, and they all like that now! Very funny!" I have a seat concept seat which is twice as comfortably, but makes the bike taller, and being wider, makes the bike more "touring". It's not a touring bike, I don't like touring. I like cornering. I wear pushbike pants under my leathers and use the stock seat.

I'm lucky enough to own a few bikes, and realistically, can now buy any bike I like. (I have considered buying a newer model, but I've done a fair bit of work to mine to get it to suit me. SM conversion. Suspension. Vortex ECU. Evo II air filter. Plus I have a Safari tank, rack, and soft panniers..... That I've never used.)
For the street riding I do, the 690 suits me best.:bannana:
Thanks guys well after just wheeling my 990 into someone else's garage, up a hill and over a little berm, I'm getting the 701. Light bikes are so much better in my opinion. Just a side note, everyone's been saying how bad the 701/smcr would be at touring but I've just ridden 100 miles to visit my grabdparents across all kinds of roads and just remembered that I did the exact same journey on my cbr125 when I was 17 and had no problems haha. An extra 60 hp would've been a welcome addition on that trip!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I consider my 690 heavy, but that's because I'm used to the low center of gravity of my WRX. So it's all relative...:anim_peep:
100 miles? I do 300 km+ (190mi+) days on my WRX just having fun. And most of the roads around here are straight and flat, so it's pretty much like a highway anyways.

Reading people's opinions online, I get the impression that a lot of riders are posers. If you want to ride, ride. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you do. And what really matters is that you are riding a bike that you actually WANT to ride. I've read lots of posts (whole threads) about how so and so wouldn't take a 500 EXC on a highway for 5 miles, since they are used to a big touring bike and the EXC doesn't offer any wind protection, etc...If I wanted wind protection, I'd be driving my car. I ride to feel the wind against my chest (through my jacket - LOL).

I wanted the 701, but I found my 690 SMC for half the price, so I went that route and I'm loving the power, which is why I wanted another bike. I'm not sure what my next bike will be, right now I'm thinking about the new Duke or an FZ07/09 since they are dirt cheap. I'm in no rush though, now that I have my 690.

If you like the looks of the 701 SM, and can afford it, I'd go for it. If you want something a little shorter and want the newer engine, maybe the new Duke if you like it...Or even something else.
My point is, find what appeals to your inner kid and go for it. It might not be the right choice, and you might regret that decision, but you gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dude great advice! I do really like the 701 and after seeing it in the flesh I just have to have it! I've sat on smcs before but it just wasn't the same for me. I think maybe because the husky just looks so different to the orange you see everywhere. Plus it's a different brand despite not being a different bike but I mean jesus even the blue and white key for it is sexy!

Thanks all for chiming in, I'm going to put up my 990 after I've test ridden the 701 😄

1 - 10 of 10 Posts