SuperMoto Junkie banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016. Yes, I have someone who has flashed a 701 that had a Akra with a Rottweiler intake. I was told it made a huge difference. I did not see any data/graphs of the before/after.
Do you have any contact info for the people that flashed the 701? I can't find anyone that actually flashes the 701 ECU. They all say get a PCV, which I will do if that's the best option, but a piggyback setup is so 1995 Honda Civic Tuner trying to be Fast and Furious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally got my power commander... installed it, and loaded both dynojet's maps.
That's ok, it works.

I find these maps "stranges"...
Why do we have "+15" then "-6" and back "+3" in 3 consecutives cells ? 2250 2500 and 2750rpm
Or from +24 at 3750 to -12 at 4750
Or from +15 at 5% throttle to -5 at 10%
There is corrections where the engine never goes 7500RPM for 10% throttle ? or 2250Rpm for 100% throttle !
Both maps are quite identicals at 80% and 100% throttle ? (one is for stock exhaust and the other for wing without baffle, that can't be the same setting !)

Well I had exactly the same on my 510smr PC5. I finally endend making my own mapping and the result was much better.
(Yes I tried to give the bike to the local dyno, he just printed the curves and said "everything is Okay"... no "fine tuning"...)

I've already modified those ones and I find it's much better, more "kick ass" feeling.

We should share our maps... (although rottweiler sells them...not fair...), it's easy to load, try, give feedbacks, and improve or adapt from a bike to another.
Also, I have no idea of how the ignition map works ? Anybody does ?
Weird?!
I am thinking about buying a powercommander but not if the maps are that strange?! Did you contact dynojet and asked why?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Weird?!
I am thinking about buying a powercommander but not if the maps are that strange?! Did you contact dynojet and asked why?
Dynojet don't make most (any?) maps.
The Maps are sometimes supplied by third parties, like the retailer. Rottweiler supplied a map that worked well for me. That map had some large "corrections".
The best maps are individually tuned by skilled dyno operators.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Maps are sometimes supplied by third parties, like the retailer. Rottweiler supplied a map that worked well for me. That map had some large "corrections".
They do make maps and will send them out when requested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In this case I actually think it is Dynojet UK who made the maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKq0VpXGhw

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally got my power commander... installed it, and loaded both dynojet's maps.
That's ok, it works.

I find these maps "stranges"...
Why do we have "+15" then "-6" and back "+3" in 3 consecutives cells ? 2250 2500 and 2750rpm
Or from +24 at 3750 to -12 at 4750
Or from +15 at 5% throttle to -5 at 10%
There is corrections where the engine never goes 7500RPM for 10% throttle ? or 2250Rpm for 100% throttle !
Both maps are quite identicals at 80% and 100% throttle ? (one is for stock exhaust and the other for wing without baffle, that can't be the same setting !)

Well I had exactly the same on my 510smr PC5. I finally endend making my own mapping and the result was much better.
(Yes I tried to give the bike to the local dyno, he just printed the curves and said "everything is Okay"... no "fine tuning"...)

I've already modified those ones and I find it's much better, more "kick ass" feeling.

We should share our maps... (although rottweiler sells them...not fair...), it's easy to load, try, give feedbacks, and improve or adapt from a bike to another.
Also, I have no idea of how the ignition map works ? Anybody does ?
I got this answer from the technical team at Dynojet;

"Hi,

These values are present as this is what was needed to achieve the optimum air/fuel ratio at that give rpm/throttle position. These map files are developed by ourselves on the dyno using the bike with the same spec.

The wings exhaust with or without the baffle in the higher throttle positions were very smilier in power output so I would not expect to see much difference in the fuel trend.

On the dyno we cover as much are the bikes rpm and throttle position range as possible so hence there are areas where you may not ride the bike, but we have values in there in case you do.

Regards,

Richard Redmayne
Dynojet UK"

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I got this answer from the technical team at Dynojet;

"Hi,

These values are present as this is what was needed to achieve the optimum air/fuel ratio at that give rpm/throttle position. These map files are developed by ourselves on the dyno using the bike with the same spec.

The wings exhaust with or without the baffle in the higher throttle positions were very smilier in power output so I would not expect to see much difference in the fuel trend.

On the dyno we cover as much are the bikes rpm and throttle position range as possible so hence there are areas where you may not ride the bike, but we have values in there in case you do.

Regards,

Richard Redmayne
Dynojet UK"

I suspect that at least some of the large and localized corrections are due the stock tuning being optimized to pass an emissions test. Potentially these tests are carried out at a specific RPM.

Great that Dynojet came back with a considered response.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
How's everyone's 701 doing? Any big changes to your motors?

My bike currently has the Rottweilier intake, wings exhaust, PC5 w/Rottweiller map, and all smog-related equipment removed. Back in June, the bike got a new top end installed by the dealer under warranty (at ~6200mi) due to excessive oil usage. It appears to fair better since then, and I'm still running dyno oil to make sure that the rings seat properly the second time around. Either this week or the next I'll be installing the 690 rally cam on the bike and getting it dyno tuned by Nels at 2WheelDynoworks. Currently waiting for those parts to arrive.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Mines going great.

I’ve heard mixed reports on the rally cam.
One racer thought it was too “top end” biased, and removed it.

Also, it was designed for engines which have been upgraded since. Certainly for the pre 2017 engine as far as I know.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Mines going great.

I’ve heard mixed reports on the rally cam.
One racer thought it was too “top end” biased, and removed it.

Also, it was designed for engines which have been upgraded since. Certainly for the pre 2017 engine as far as I know.
Good to hear!

Yeah, I've heard similar reports on it. It all comes down to personal preference at this point and my thoughts are that the 701 really lacks top-end power. I think this comes from me being very used to riding 2-strokes and tuned 4-stroke bikes that favor midrange-topend power. Thankfully it doesn't take long to swap cams so I can always revert if I hate it. All of the dyno charts I've seen floating around report a slight decrease in bottom end, with a big boost up top (~8hp).

I'll report back once it's installed and tuned!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Dyno Tune finally done!

The past month has been a bit crazy but I've finally managed to install the rally cam and got the bike dyno tuned. Man... what a difference! Throttle response is much more crisp, overall power is smoother, and that midrange that I was aiming for is finally there, with minimal drop-off up top.

My buddy with a '17 got his bike tuned right after mine. Power is very similar but more top-end focused rather than midrange like mine. He's running pretty much the same mods as I am, minus the cam and Arrow exhaust instead of Wings.

Unfortunately, I don't have a baseline for my bike but other 701s tuned on this dyno put out low-mid 50s when stock. So all in all, about a 20% hp gain with a much better torque curve!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, looks like the new 2017 motor really does make a solid 5 more HP. I rode a friends 2017 701E w/ rw intake, pcv and wings exhaust - it's fast. Certainly noticeable versus my stock 2016 701SM.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Damn, looks like the new 2017 motor really does make a solid 5 more HP. I rode a friends 2017 701E w/ rw intake, pcv and wings exhaust - it's fast. Certainly noticeable versus my stock 2016 701SM.
The main reason for more hp up top is the better flowing head and 1000rpm higher redline. My modded 2016 makes 2hp less up top then a similarly modded 17 on the same dyno. Whereas my bike has a much better midrange.

Some head work, or simply running oxygenated race gas will put my hp numbers right in line with the 17. The actual problem is that ~70hp is the limit for these bikes on stock injectors. Both the 16 and the 17 were running 100% duty cycle when making these numbers.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The main reason for more hp up top is the better flowing head and 1000rpm higher redline. My modded 2016 makes 2hp less up top then a similarly modded 17 on the same dyno. Whereas my bike has a much better midrange.

Some head work, or simply running oxygenated race gas will put my hp numbers right in line with the 17. The actual problem is that ~70hp is the limit for these bikes on stock injectors. Both the 16 and the 17 were running 100% duty cycle when making these numbers.
That doesn’t sound quite right.
These things are rated at 74hp at the brochure. Mine makes 79.78hp at the wheel. (2017 with intake, fueling and exhaust mods)
What would be the symptom the dyno tuner would notice if the injectors were running at 100%?
An inability to increase the richness of the mixture?
Is there an option to replace the injectors?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
That doesn’t sound quite right.
These things are rated at 74hp at the brochure. Mine makes 79.78hp at the wheel. (2017 with intake, fueling and exhaust mods)
What would be the symptom the dyno tuner would notice if the injectors were running at 100%?
An inability to increase the richness of the mixture?
Is there an option to replace the injectors?
I should have been a bit more specific about my numbers when I posted them. The dyno that my bike (2016) and my friend's (2017) was tuned on is known to give numbers that are closer to actual values rather than elevated, which is what your numbers seem to be. A fully modded 2017 701 on the same dyno which ran race gas, got about 73.8whp. With drivetrain loss taken into consideration, these numbers are on point. A stock 701 gets low to mid 50s.

For my session, the exact whp was 69.5 for the 2016, and 71.6 for the 2017, so that's where I got my 2hp figure from. I'm sure if we were to run our bikes on the same dyno that they would be very close.

The injector duty cycle being at 100% would cause exactly the condition that you're assuming - the inability to push more fuel through the injectors. I haven't looked into the injectors at all so far, but I'm sure that we could get some upgraded units with some research :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any need to replace the stock header on these bikes? Mine has the Arrow pipe, which I believe is a de-cat? I'm not 100% sure, just picked up the bike used with the Arrow already on it. It's a 2016.

So if I want to maximise the power from my bike without going nuts, I really just need an intake and PC5? Dyno tuning is expensive here in New Zealand - how well does the PC5 cope using the auto-mapping function?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Is there any need to replace the stock header on these bikes? Mine has the Arrow pipe, which I believe is a de-cat? I'm not 100% sure, just picked up the bike used with the Arrow already on it. It's a 2016.

So if I want to maximise the power from my bike without going nuts, I really just need an intake and PC5? Dyno tuning is expensive here in New Zealand - how well does the PC5 cope using the auto-mapping function?
You are correct. The cat was in the giant stock muffler.
Generally the stock headers are considered fine, with no/minimal gains from replacement.
I think the biggest gain is from correcting the lean tune these bikes come with. Potentially even leaner if the intake is made more free flowing. The PCV is usually delivered with an improved map depending where you buy it from. (Rottweiler USA supplied me one with a map that worked well. I’m in Australia) you can install your own map. EG one someone with a similar bike has shared with you. I believe the Auto tune is not a good option on (these?) bikes, but I’m not an expert.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

If you buy a Rottweiler intake, they will give you access to their fuel + ignition intake map. I ran it on my bike for about 9 months with good results, but a custom tune was significantly better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I should have been a bit more specific about my numbers when I posted them. The dyno that my bike (2016) and my friend's (2017) was tuned on is known to give numbers that are closer to actual values rather than elevated, which is what your numbers seem to be. A fully modded 2017 701 on the same dyno which ran race gas, got about 73.8whp. With drivetrain loss taken into consideration, these numbers are on point. A stock 701 gets low to mid 50s.

For my session, the exact whp was 69.5 for the 2016, and 71.6 for the 2017, so that's where I got my 2hp figure from. I'm sure if we were to run our bikes on the same dyno that they would be very close.

The injector duty cycle being at 100% would cause exactly the condition that you're assuming - the inability to push more fuel through the injectors. I haven't looked into the injectors at all so far, but I'm sure that we could get some upgraded units with some research :D
This made me interested.. and concerned for own my dyno-shootout after the winter. Sounds like i'm gonna max out the injector to then.. I see know that both the 2016 and 2017 have the same injectors. The part number is the same for all LC4 engines after 2013: 76041023044

What mods was made to the 701 -17?

I wonder how big the injector actually is. :hmmm: Someone on a 690 was going for an ethanol conversion and had been looking into this. Guess it's a straight fit.
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/keihin-hayabusa-gsxr-husaberg-zx10

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This made me interested.. and concerned for own my dyno-shootout after the winter. Sounds like i'm gonna max out the injector to then.. I see know that both the 2016 and 2017 have the same injectors. The part number is the same for all LC4 engines after 2013: 76041023044

What mods was made to the 701 -17?

I wonder how big the injector actually is. :hmmm: Someone on a 690 was going for an ethanol conversion and had been looking into this. Guess it's a straight fit.
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/keihin-hayabusa-gsxr-husaberg-zx10
And here I thought I was done with modding my 701! Good find :clap:

The engine-related mods of the two bikes are:
2016- rottweiler intake, wings exhaust with no db killer, block-off plate, evap delete, rally cam, PCV, O2 delete, map switch
2016- rottweiler intake, arrow exhaust with no db killer, block-off plate, evap delete, PCV, O2 delete, map switch

I think if I decide to tear into the motor again, I'll be getting some head work done, try to find a high comp piston, upgraded injectors, and find someone to grind me a custom cam. For the time being though, I'm focusing on suspension and bettering my riding skills :D

61 - 80 of 117 Posts