SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 701SM has developed an odd rattle at idle. Sounds like a bucket of bolts, maybe a cam chain tensioner? Like an old sewing machine. Very pronounced at idle but less so when revving. Does anybody else have this noise?

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 2018 701SM has developed an odd rattle at idle. Sounds like a bucket of bolts, maybe a cam chain tensioner? Like an old sewing machine. Very pronounced at idle but less so when revving. Does anybody else have this noise?
They all do. Try a Dirt Trick tensioner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does not usually do it, occasionally i will hear upon initial start and on occasion after its been off and i re-start the bike. Lasts anywhere from 3-10 seconds usually, and always disappears. Its slack in the cam chain when the oil pressure is low. Once oil pressure rises the tension puts back tension in the cam chain. Its common. and seems mostly benign. I just would not wring the throttle when you hear it. If you are always hearing it or hearing it while you are driving the bike then i would put a manual tensioner in or get it replaced

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a Dirt Tricks tensioner and should be installing it next weekend. Also the lower temp fan switch while I'm at it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did, in fact, eventually replace the tensioner with the Dirt Tricks unit. Way better ! ! Now, having said that this job is not really a quickie or for a novice. Not on the 701. I followed factory instructions right down to buying & installing the engine locking pin that holds everything at TDC. So..... to do that you have to remove the valve cover, which means removing the coils & the airbox, etc. Not too bad given I have the Rottie air filter replacement setup. It is a bit of a Rubicks cube to get the cover up & out. As is always the case I could do it faster now but that is water under the bridge. You also have to remove the complete exhaust elsewise you will not get a wrench in under the frame to unscrew the tensioner & then tighten everything back up with a torque wrench. Watch out that you don't lose the spacer on the lower exhaust manifold stud on the exhaust port. ( What was that that just hit the ground and started rolling? ? LOL ) I wanted to do it the right way but there might be some who say you can cut corners. Dunno, I don't see how. That said I also slipped in that lower fan switch. Both new tensioner & fan switch are working just great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts