Discussion Starter #1
Anybody found a spool set that fits the swingarm? I cant find anything
in the hard parts catalog.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
569 Posts
i ordered a set off ebay, i checked the one from my GSXR1000, its too small, meaning the spools are 10mm and not the standard 8mm thread, i.e. requires a M10 bolt....should be in anyday, will let ya'll know if it works, which i believe it will

·
Registered
335 Posts
KTMTWINS carries them, as they fit the 990 Duke. They are a Woodcraft items. I have the box they cam in in my garage.

·
Registered
728 Posts
any spool with a 10 mm hole in it will work. just need to get a bolt that is the right thread. its 10mm like kawi but kawi is not the right thread pitch. you could get any spool set and go to a local hardware store and get the right bolts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Spools and Fasteners

I had the same problem and ordered the black delrin spools by Pit Bull for the Kawasaki and sure enough, the thread pitch is the finer 1.25 vs the 1.50 which is required. I also anticipated getting alternate stainless steel fasteners at the local hardware store and just turning them down on a lathe or widening the counterbore. Unfortunatly the new fastener has a 16 mm diameter head with a hugh interior allen driver. Turning it down would make the head too thin and counterboring the delrin would weaken the spool.

The soultion was to just use the 10 mm X 1.25 thread pitch S/S allen head bolt with nut against the swingarm and gapped sufficiently for the rear stand craddle. Looks OK, super solid and works fine. The cost is about $4.

wayne

·
Registered
569 Posts
you also have to be careful and not get the flush spools, the KTMs are set back in so it needs the smaller part on the spool that goes towards the swingarm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spools

Awesome info thanks!:thumbup:

KTMTWINS carries them, as they fit the 990 Duke. They are a Woodcraft items. I have the box they cam in in my garage.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just a bit of info but if you want you can run the tap with the pitch on a Pit Bull slider. I did that with my 690SM and it worked perfect. Just use loctite to make sure it does not back out and you will be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All you need to do is order 10mm spools and then go to your local fastener store and get the right 10 mm x 1.50 pitch bolts. I ordered a set of 10mm spools off of ebay for $12 and then got the 2 bolts for $.75 bolted right up no problem. Shameless bike plug:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I want to know how to remove the factory axle adjuster and install the SME aluminum block. I'm talking the threaded one guys, not the axle nut side.

;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just a bit of info but if you want you can run the tap with the pitch on a Pit Bull slider. I did that with my 690SM and it worked perfect. Just use loctite to make sure it does not back out and you will be fine.

Great "jury rigging" minds think alike Dodge but I couldn't find a 10mm die in my garage. If if spills out of the tool box some day I'll probably do just that.
wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts