SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd make a list of items to check\tighten before you first ride. Still not sure why I had to pay a setup fee.

1. Adjust the tire pressure to 29 PSI (Mine were at 40PSI)
2. Tighten the shift lever (Loose)
3. Tighten the front seat bolt (Loose)
4. Check the starter solenoid bolt, See attached photo (Mine fell off, real hard to start after stopping while out on a ride)
5. Check the mirrors (Mine loosened and flopped around on first ride)
6. Tighten the 2 handlebar multi-function bar switches (loose also)
7. Tighten every bolt you can (extra insurance)
8. Relocate turn signals http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=59264
or I just bought these http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=4340369.9224&p_id=22-104&product=Turn%20Signals&xm=on&ppinc=search2
9. Adjust the steering stop limits until the forks just touch the radiator guard
10. 2nd and 3rd gear mod, for those having a hard time take a pair of needle nose pliers,start by pulling then pushing the pins until they come out http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=58877&highlight=wire&page=2
11. Change you power screw to 2 or advanced mode
12. Go Ride, and enjoy knowing that you get better gas mileage than a Prius and way more fun

·
Registered
266 Posts
Man, all of that stuff should have been checked at the dealer during PDI. Someone should lose their job for sending out a bike with a loose shifter. The clowns they hire at dealers these days...:rolleyes:

/rant over

Good check list. :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's a great list Glowworm.

My tires were at 38/48 when I brought her home. WTF???????

I put Loctite on that front seat bolt also after hearing about other peoples problems with it.

I'm gonna go through the rest of the bike tomorrow and check the other stuff you mentioned.

JOHN

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thought I'd make a list of items to check\tighten before you first ride. Still not sure why I had to pay a setup fee.

1. Adjust the tire pressure to 29 PSI (Mine were at 40PSI)
2. Tighten the shift lever (Loose)
3. Tighten the front seat bolt (Loose)
4. Check the starter solenoid bolt, See attached photo (Mine fell off, real hard to start after stopping while out on a ride)
5. Check the mirrors (Mine loosened and flopped around on first ride)
6. Tighten the 2 handlebar multi-function bar switches (loose also)
7. Tighten every bolt you can (extra insurance)
8. Relocate turn signals http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=59264
or I just bought these http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=4340369.9224&p_id=22-104&product=Turn%20Signals&xm=on&ppinc=search2
9. Adjust the steering stop limits until the forks just touch the radiator guard
10. 2nd and 3rd gear mod, for those having a hard time take a pair of needle nose pliers,start by pulling then pushing the pins until they come out http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=58877&highlight=wire&page=2
11. Change you power screw to 2 or advanced mode
12. Go Ride, and enjoy knowing that you get better gas mileage than a Prius and way more fun
Why 29 PSI? The tires can go up to 42. Granted mine were set to about 45 PSI (for the first 650 miles I might add). But I just lowered them to 32PSI. Now its time to tighten the chain again too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the tires should be set to about 27-30 front and rear. mine were both at 45 when i left the dealer, and the bike felt all over the place. i have mine at 27 rr 29 fr. seems to handle great set there.

about the whole ignition map thing. tonight i just switched from number 2 to number 3 and number 3 seems much better. the bike has the same power but the bike is waaaayyyy easier to ride. a lot less jerky. makes the throttle NOT seem like an on/off switch. much more rideable.

·
Registered
546 Posts
the tires should be set to about 27-30 front and rear. mine were both at 45 when i left the dealer, and the bike felt all over the place. i have mine at 27 rr 29 fr. seems to handle great set there.

about the whole ignition map thing. tonight i just switched from number 2 to number 3 and number 3 seems much better. the bike has the same power but the bike is waaaayyyy easier to ride. a lot less jerky. makes the throttle NOT seem like an on/off switch. much more rideable.
Strange, because I could swear I felt no difference when switching to advanced. Same power, and same jerkiness at low throttle. Maybe I'll switch back to 3 and see if I notice a difference...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, cool....

On a separate subject, I let the RPM's go up today to 5,000 in both 2nd and 3rd. I thought there was a cut-off at 4,500 RPM's and that's why everyone was doing the wire mod.....Is the cut off higher than 5K?

JOHN

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok cool, thanks for clearing that up. I thought maybe my rev-limiter wasn't working.

So, for you personally, you prefer the #3 Setting WITH the Wire Mod, correct?

How about the rest of you? Probably the wrong question for the Initial Check List Thread.....lol

Nevermind.

JOHN

·
Registered
423 Posts
mines on 2 and i puled the wires ad drilled 3 2" holes in the air box, it runs hard I am loving it pulls harder than the berg I drag my buddies 05 he took me off the line but by third i was pulling away, the bike is sick every time I ride i like more and slides around every turn the slipper works great and its got a kick stand I never had that:thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a few loose bolts nothing ready to fall off though. Check the chain tension..it was loose after 150 miles. :thumbup:

:arsenal SMC :arsenal

·
Registered
340 Posts
mines on 2 and i puled the wires ad drilled 3 2" holes in the air box, it runs hard I am loving it pulls harder than the berg I drag my buddies 05 he took me off the line but by third i was pulling away, the bike is sick every time I ride i like more and slides around every turn the slipper works great and its got a kick stand I never had that:thumbup:
Can you snap some pics and write a how to of the holes in the airbox! I wanna do this mod, but just want to be sure on how to do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Steering head loose

My steering head was a bit loose after my first ride (70 miles).
Its easy to tighten. I also losened the axle and pumped the
forks just to make sure it was all aligned.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Please elaborate.

I know there is power to be had by just removing the air box lid and duct taping the air filter in but I figured it would just make it run way lean.

Did that not happen to your bike?

Does it pop more on decel indicating a lean condition?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you snap some pics and write a how to of the holes in the airbox! I wanna do this mod, but just want to be sure on how to do it. :thumbup:
I dont recommend doing this without proper knowledge/equipment.

Its the way it is for a reason, and in the end this will probably just decrease engine performance. Atleast for now because there is not proper equipment to do this right. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts