SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if the 690SMC will be fast and agile enough on a tight track? Or is the 690SMC too heavy?

And if he is usable on a track, could the 690SMC keep up with a Husqvarna 510smr or a berg?

Grtz

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Overall, the 690 SMC will surely be fast and extremely fun. But at a competitive level, compared with real race bikes, it's going to feel pretty darn heavy. My 625 SMCs would not have kept up with my 525SMR or Husaberg 650c around a kart track no matter how much money I put in the motor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought mine for the track.Although I'm coming from liter bikes and have no experience with other motard brands I can't imagine a track where anyone would need any more "flickability" than the 690 SMC offers.

I rode it to our church parking lot to practice some figure eights... told myself I was going to take it easy without leathers.Well it's quite difficult to take it easy on this bike and 10 minutes later (after designing a track around the islands in the parking lot) the chicken strips were gone and I was hooked.The left/right right/left ability of the SMC is just unreal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The 690 weighs about the same as a Husky 610. I have had my old 610 on big tracks and it was fun and agile compared to a sport bike. But compared to my Husaberg it felt like a PIG. The extra 60-70lbs is a killer. I don't think a 300+lb bike would do well on a small track when compared to light weight sm race bikes. That being said... Give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm sure it will be fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just can't decide which sm I should buy. I'm thinking of the KTM 690SMC, Husaberg 650 and the Husqvarna 510smr.

Which one would you buy and why? I really love the 690SMC but it is a bit heavier :s.

Grtz

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think your list is a little flawed. The KTM and the berg are relatively in the same market but by listing the 510 it shows that you haven't made up your mind on what kind of bike you want. Now if you would have put in the 610 instead then I would see that you have made up your mind on what style of bike you want and are just trying to decide on price and brand. What I am getting at is there is no best of both worlds. Either you go the commuter, public road style of bike or you go with a race bike with lights. I personally chose the Husky 610 for the following reasons;
1. Price- $7400 OTD
2. Reliability- almost as good as it gets in a single.
3. design- Next to the SXV I don't think there is a sexier bike
4. performance- With a few mods it will perform on track adequately and off the track very well.

The KTM was hard to turn down but I have owned two others and had several issues.

Later, Eric

·
Registered
324 Posts
BTW,

Keep in mind that any of the bikes you listed will be a fun bike to ride on any track. I have ridden many bikes on many tracks and never had a bad time. Are you going to win on the 690 in the premier race class? Of course not but my guess would be that neither you nor I would win on any bike. The coolest thing about motorcycles and motorcycle racing is that the bike is only one part of the equation. Depending on who you talk to it may be the lesser part of the equation than the rider. I know for a fact that I could beat a bunch of people around most tracks on the 690 or a KX 65 with them riding a factory 450 or 560. I also know that I would get my Ass handed to me on a pro factory Yamaha by a bunch of guys here in OK racing at the club level. I would advise against getting a bike that requires a lot of maintenance if you plan to do any street riding at all. I couldn't imagine what my old KTM 525 SMR would have been like if I would have tried to take it on a 75 mile ride. One thing for sure I better bring a lot of nuts and bolts along.

Eric

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if the 690SMC will be fast and agile enough on a tight track? Or is the 690SMC too heavy?

And if he is usable on a track, could the 690SMC keep up with a Husqvarna 510smr or a berg?

Grtz
I haven't ridden the SMC but I did ride a 690SM. It was remarkably similar to my 560 in terms of feel, except for the weight. In plain english though my 560 would chew it up and spit it back out at the track, with equal riders. My guess is that so would the 510 since it is also a race bike. I have no experience with 'Bergs so I can't say.
But for real world riding on the street the 690 would be, by far, the superior ride.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
All depends on your wants/needs in a bike...

I've had a 2004 625 SMC (had to regretfully sell for financial reasons) / 2004 525 SX (converted to motard) / 2006 560 SMR (sold to get the 690 SMC)...

I went with a 690 SMC this time because (although the 525 & 560 were faster and lighter) I wanted a very good "do it all" motard...

I've only put 250 miles on my 690 (since Tuesday when I got it), but I know I made the right decision ---> 100%...

I can take it to a kart track (just to have fun)... I can rip up the back roads in my neighborhood (just to have fun)... I can go to road race tracks and pass all the sporty-bikes in the tighter sections (just to have fun).... Or, I can do 100 miles plus on the highway if needed (to get to some place to have fun)....

You catchin' my theme here?

The SMC is a street motard that's dependable and you can do a lot on... Would I race it?

No.... Now, go get that 690 SMC.......... :thumbup:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think your list is a little flawed. The KTM and the berg are relatively in the same market but by listing the 510 it shows that you haven't made up your mind on what kind of bike you want. Now if you would have put in the 610 instead then I would see that you have made up your mind on what style of bike you want and are just trying to decide on price and brand. What I am getting at is there is no best of both worlds. Either you go the commuter, public road style of bike or you go with a race bike with lights. I personally chose the Husky 610 for the following reasons;
1. Price- $7400 OTD
2. Reliability- almost as good as it gets in a single.
3. design- Next to the SXV I don't think there is a sexier bike
4. performance- With a few mods it will perform on track adequately and off the track very well.

The KTM was hard to turn down but I have owned two others and had several issues.

Later, Eric
The Husaberg 650 is a nothing like the 690. It was designed to run in the FIM World Supermoto Unlimited class. It weighs 240 lbs and has 60 HP out of the box. The only comparison between the two are the fact that they are both street legal big bore singles. Don't let the lights and turn signals fool you with the FS650E. It is a pure race bike and the maintance requirements show it. The 650 holds 1 litre of oil!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I haven't ridden the SMC but I did ride a 690SM. It was remarkably similar to my 560 in terms of feel, except for the weight. In plain english though my 560 would chew it up and spit it back out at the track, with equal riders. My guess is that so would the 510 since it is also a race bike. I have no experience with 'Bergs so I can't say.
But for real world riding on the street the 690 would be, by far, the superior ride.
I agree with laohu69. The 690 would make a much better street machine than the 560 or the Husaberg 650.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Plus depending on what your looking to do, you can shed some pretty good weight off this bike, if your willing to spend the money. It already makes good power, just needs to shed some pounds.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
MikeB........ I think your scale is a bit off on that berg weight...........C.mon get real. Did you weigh it without the wheels onit??

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you are roadracing, the SMC is a better choice than the Duke or the 'Berg. Not as fast as the Aprilia, but more reliable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, thanks for the replies guys. But how could the 690SMC lose some weight and still be street legal? Other exhaust, other wheels....,

Thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts