SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through a bunch of the forums on tires and i havent quite decided on what i want or seen what info im looking for. The pirelli dragon supercorsa tires that come on the 690 are great tires but there is two flaws with them. One they dont last long and secondly they dont make them any more. Now basically through reading the forums im between 4 tires and they are the pirelli diablo rosso corsa, michilen pilot powers, the pilot powers 2ct, and power pures. I basically do alot of commuting with the occasional long rides and im not shy on doing wheelies, stoppies, and hammerin the corners and basically im looking for is the pirelli dragon supercorsa with alittle more longevity and outta those 4 tire choices what would be my best bet or is there somthing else out there that i should go with? :headscrat

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've liked the Contiforce SM's, way better off-road then the supercorsa's I feel, but may not be better mileage out of them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i have heard alot of good things about those tires but i dont think thats what im looking for i dont take my bike offroad thats why i got the good old 250 :lol: which i am considering very hard if i want to put that beast on the road too! But im pretty much between those 4 tires im just looking for the performance of the Dragon Supercorsa's i just would like to get somthing thats i can get a few more miles out of if possible. Just curious though what kinda miles are you getting out outta those tires? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
check out the bridgestone bt003 tires..... and ive heard pretty mixed reviews on the contis.... just my .02 good luck on your search!:thumbup:

it you wanna go offroad a lot then go for the avon distazias as they are the best for both worlds!

and also dont forget that the 690smc chews throught the best of tires on a good day.... none seem to last as long as they should on this bike :coffee:

and if you like to commute a lot and keep it upright then go for dual compound tires (hard in the middle soft on the edges)

good luck on the search and lets us know what you come up with and how you like them!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Conti ATTACK SMs.

New tyre in 2011, better than than the Conti Force.

using them on my 660. amazing tyres.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the 690's eat tires no matter what. especially on gravel.
best tire allaround is avon distanzia......
the rear only comes in the sm counpound being a 160.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Wow really? In that case, anybody in the USA want to buy some from me?

£300 shipped :p
No...... Not when that will work out to be $460 for a set of tires :headshake

·
Registered
316 Posts
No...... Not when that will work out to be $460 for a set of tires :headshake
I'm kidding, I'm sure therell be a law allowing conti to sue me into the ground if I shipped their products abroad without permission lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
By far the best rubber for your bike (performance wise) will be race spec DOT (or not DOT if you're naughty), hands down, no matter what anyone else says! I would much rather pay a little extra for race rubber and not get the mileage but have the confidence and the feel when I twist the throttle and not end up on my head, in traffic. I've had the stock tires--pretty good actually, I've had the SM conti's--absolute shit, I've had the race spec Michelin power ones--ok, I've had the Dunlop race spec DOT--ok, but I didn't like the feel that much, I've had the Michelin "NOT DOT" spec SuperMoto specific cut slicks--very good and a little stiff for me, and I have had the race spec Pirelli's (SC1 front SC2 rear)--FANTASTIC!! I love the feel and grip from these tires. Can't say enough good things about these. These are high performance bikes, only settle for high performance tires.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well along with all the input from you guys i have done my own research and watched a few reviews on youtube and i think i have narrowed it down to either the pilot power 2ct and the bridgestone bt-016 i definately want a dual compound due to keeping it on the street all the time. But the only thing is i think im leaning towards the michelin i have heard really good things about them good traction and they heat up really fast. But with the bridgestones they take longer to heat up due to a stiffer carcass and i just dont want to be questioning weither the tire is gonna stick or slip when i go into the first turn of the day, however they due claim that it does get longer wear than most tires in its class. But i may have a solution to my problem my buddy needs a set of tires for his husky 510 to so y not have him try a set and i try the other and kill two birds with one stone :Funny:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O and Akadan we can get those conti attack tires in the US i saw you can order them through parts unlimited. Now idk weither they are on backorder due to it being new but they do have them available to order.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had written this in a previous thread of mine:

Here is a good chart from Bridgestone showing the differences in their tires.

So it seems the BT003RS will have better grip, but probably won't last as long. But I'm interested in trying them out, since I'm already pretty used to the Supercorsa Pro, which seems to be in the same "category" as the BT-003RS, where the BT-016 is a little less "track-day".

It's tempting to try the the Michelin Power One 2CT, which seems to be a coveted high-quality sticky "track-day" tire, especially partly due to the tread pattern. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/19753/ITEM/Michelin-Power-One-2CT-Rear-Tire.aspx

I've got about another hour of reading-up and debating, and then I'm ordering. Just don't want to go to something less than the tire I've gotten used to, but am curious to experiment with other options (and hopefully tread-life at the same time).
I ended up getting a Michelin Power Pure for my rear tire. And also got a new front tire (Michelin Power One). I got the Power One for my front tire, because I'm not concerned with tread-life on that, because I got almost 10K on the stock front tire. Plus the Power One is probably the closest street-legal tire you can get that is almost a slick. I'll take all the tread contact I can get in the front. So far the tires have been great, and haven't had any issues. I won't say they're better than the Supercorsa Pros that I've gotten used to, but then again I don't ride THAT hard to push them to their utter limits. Though I have had a few slight slip outs with the rear with the Supercorsas. None with the Power Pure yet.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Well along with all the input from you guys i have done my own research and watched a few reviews on youtube and i think i have narrowed it down to either the pilot power 2ct and the bridgestone bt-016 i definately want a dual compound due to keeping it on the street all the time. But the only thing is i think im leaning towards the michelin i have heard really good things about them good traction and they heat up really fast. But with the bridgestones they take longer to heat up due to a stiffer carcass and i just dont want to be questioning weither the tire is gonna stick or slip when i go into the first turn of the day, however they due claim that it does get longer wear than most tires in its class. But i may have a solution to my problem my buddy needs a set of tires for his husky 510 to so y not have him try a set and i try the other and kill two birds with one stone :Funny:
just had a bt016 on the rear and just put a set of 2cts on less than 30 miles ago. I got about 2500mi outta the rear of the 016 but it had cords showing thru when I swapped it. I thought it was a good tire. I'm hoping the 2cts are better.

·
Registered
859 Posts
By far the best rubber for your bike (performance wise) will be race spec DOT (or not DOT if you're naughty), hands down, no matter what anyone else says! I would much rather pay a little extra for race rubber and not get the mileage but have the confidence and the feel when I twist the throttle and not end up on my head, in traffic. I've had the stock tires--pretty good actually, I've had the SM conti's--absolute shit, I've had the race spec Michelin power ones--ok, I've had the Dunlop race spec DOT--ok, but I didn't like the feel that much, I've had the Michelin "NOT DOT" spec SuperMoto specific cut slicks--very good and a little stiff for me, and I have had the race spec Pirelli's (SC1 front SC2 rear)--FANTASTIC!! I love the feel and grip from these tires. Can't say enough good things about these. These are high performance bikes, only settle for high performance tires.
You will never get enough heat into race spec / dot tires on the street. The only time you will is if you are hanging it out in a parking lot race. A good street biased sport tire will stick enough to get to the edge of the tire without issues. Pushing as hard as I dare at my local industrial area race.track my Michelin pilot powers have never given me any issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is the worst advice yet. Like what Intune stated, keeping enough heat in a race spec, non-DOT or DOT, tire is hard to do. If you are riding hard enough to keep heat in them, take it to a track. I've ran BT016 and Pilot Power 2CT on my SMC, nary a slip either on the track or on the street.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts