SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at getting the 690 SMC but I am having a little problem decided wether to or not as i have not touched a bike in years and a little bit rusty on my knowledge. Basically, I am after a sumo (Obviously) but i am also after using on a few trails. Now my questions:

Whould this bike be able to handle trails or not? As there is an enduro version. My options are:

1, Get the SMC and buy new wheels with knoblys for the trails,
2, Get the Enduro and buy new wheels with street tyres or
3, Get the SMC and buy Duel Sport tyres.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Aaron.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree with above. I have yet to try those tires, but I've heard (and seen) good things with them for off-roading. I personally am keeping the SMC on road, with a few trips through a field and the woods, but the stock tires will definitely give you some trouble if you expect to give it any sort of throttle while in the grass or gravel.

Get the 690 SMC. Try the stock tires, and then swap them for some knobbier tires. It'll give you the opportunity to do 50/50 road/trails.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, sounds like a good idea. Would the SMC be able to handle as well as the Enduro R off road? and would i have the option to put bigger wheels with knobblies on the SMC if i decide to go that route or not?

·
Registered
859 Posts
if you are really going to off road it then I think the Enduro with some dual sport tires is the better option.

Here is an awesome place to get info on the dirt side of this bike:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643&highlight=enduro

What kind of ratio are we talking here: just an occasional ride down a hard packed dirt road, or true off road trails? The SMC will be really bad for this even with the 17" Avon Distanzias. You'll want the real off road sized wheels and tires for anything other than a hard packed dirt or gravel road.

if its 90% street, highway & commuting duty the the SMC for sure.

if its more like 50/50 on road/off road then the Enduro will be the better compromise. You can always get SMC wheels for the Enduro too

·
Registered
626 Posts
if its more like 50/50 on road/off road then the Enduro will be the better compromise. You can always get SMC wheels for the Enduro too
If your 75% street I'd say get the SMC and put the Avon's on... they're going to be my next set of tires. I take my SMC off road nothing too hardcore like most and it's awesome. If your going on a all day off-road ride you may want to soften up the suspension a little for the day.

But if your 50/50 I say get the enduro version. You can put 17's on the E but due to differences in rad's the SMC will not fit a 21" wheel up front.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree with the above so far. I took mine "off-roading" and while fun, compared to my 300XC-W dirtbike, it was miserable. The suspension is too stiff, the bike is too heavy, the gearing it way too tall. Depends on what kind of trail you are talking about. Here's a vid of my 690SMC on a open off-road area with distanzias. They work good in the dirt, but suck in the mud.

If you'll really spend more than 1/2 your time in the dirt- get a 450/530 EXC. The 690 makes a great street bike though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The fact is, it is much easier and cheaper to get and enduro and convert to an smc than it is to get and smc and convert to an enduro!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Something else to think about- I know three people who've had sumo's and bought spare wheels and knobbies. After 2-3 times of swapping wheels to go out for the weekend, then clean the bike, swap the street tires back for Monday.... they all went out and got dirt bikes also.

So maybe get a nice sumo and a beater trail bike that you can tag and run on the road if need be.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
you cant change the smc to enduro but you can change the enduro to smc..... its all to do with the offset of the front wheel on the enduro to allow for compression of the forks and the wheel will miss the rads... just buy the enduro r and convert it to street when you want too... it takes 25-30 mins to swap it all around.. good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ye i will be looking at doing around 50/50 dirt and street and going on dirt for full days at a time etc...

Ill look at the Enduro, like most of you said i can put 17s on the enduro.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Can that be made road legal? I live in England.
I don't know. It comes 50 state legal for the US. The XCF-W is the enduro version, the EXC comes with lights, blinkers, license plate holder, etc. So I think it is street legal. If you get a new one you have to put a jet kit in it to run right, it comes clogged up from the factory to pass sound tests for the street.

Check out ktmtalk forums, http://www.ktmtalk.com/ they are a very knowledgeable group for the off-road bikes. there's a whole section for ktm RFS bikes (the newer 450/530 bikes.

Also advrider.com has several threads on the 690 enduro in the "thumpers" section.

edit- cruising the English version of KTM's site, it looks like the 690 is the only street legal version though... might have to ask a dealer in your area.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Get 2 bikes!!! If you haven't ridden a bike in years unless you have real off road tires you'll kill yourself. Also, if you crash you SMC, you'll end up with a broken blinker and so on...For my 2 previous Sumo I had dirt wheels, and spending 1-1.5 hours changing the street to dirt setup is too much trouble unless you are going to ride dirt for a full week.

No really, 2 bikes!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The EXC's are fullt road legal over here, what is the maintenence like on these? Can't find information that is written down and needed, just what other people do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts