SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought Supercorsa Pro SC2 rear tires in the past for my bike, from motorcycle-superstore.com, but they no longer have them. Has this tire been replaced by something else? I am at about 10K miles and the belt is just about showing. It's my third tire (counting the OEM one).

Also, has anyone had to replace the front tire yet? Again, I'm at 10K miles and the front tire still has life left. Kinda wonder if I should just replace it to get more grip.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been browsing the forums for a while. I was mainly curious if they stopped making the Supercorsa Pro (SC2). And if they did, what would a good alternative be. I am looking for a nice, sticky, street tire, with decent tread life. Not interested in thr Distanzias. Thanks though for the suggestion.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd get the Michelin dual compound then. I hear lots of good stuff about them. Gooey sides and medium center for life on the street. Not sure which pilots are the hot set up, they change so often.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bridgestone BT003RS, stick good, decent price.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been debating between the Dunlop Q2, Bridgestone Battlax, Michelin Pilot Power. Was hoping to decide and order tonight. Not sure how long I want to ride with the white showing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bridgestone BT003RS, stick good, decent price.
For those in the same position as me, here is a good chart from Bridgestone showing the differences in their tires.

So it seems the BT003RS will have better grip, but probably won't last as long. But I'm interested in trying them out, since I'm already pretty used to the Supercorsa Pro, which seems to be in the same "category" as the BT-003RS, where the BT-016 is a little less "track-day".

It's tempting to try the the Michelin Power One 2CT, which seems to be a coveted high-quality sticky "track-day" tire, especially partly due to the tread pattern. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/19753/ITEM/Michelin-Power-One-2CT-Rear-Tire.aspx

I've got about another hour of reading-up and debating, and then I'm ordering. Just don't want to go to something less than the tire I've gotten used to, but am curious to experiment with other options (and hopefully tread-life at the same time).

·
Registered
99 Posts
The replacement is the diablo rosso corsa

im surprised you got 10k out of a track tire, it has to be pretty low on grip with all the heat cycles

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes i think they still make the sc2 dsc but the mileage of that thing!... forget the mileage :lol: its a sticky tire no doubt about that. if u want a street tire get the 003RS or the Power Pures or Q2s. i heard alot of good things about the Q2s though i havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 690 SMC is a commuter. I had a big dilemma when replacing my last set of tires because most are now very expensive. Seems to have been a price increase across the board lately. I was originally going to go with Pilot Power 2CTs, because they can be had fairly inexpensively, but the thing is I ride in the cold and in the wet (I think I commuted something like 280 days last year in Boston). I ended up getting Pilot Road 3s this time around. I know, I cast off all sporting pretensions, but the thing is I don't need half-track tires for commuting (I have an RC51 if I want to get frisky).

Very happy with the Road 3s so far. Only have a couple hundred miles but woah what a change over the Pirellis. It's true that the bike requires more effort to change direction (quite a bit more actually) but it also feels a whole hell of a lot more stable. Compromises. Potholes and curbs were sometimes downright scary with the Pirellis, much less noticeable with the Road 3s.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get rid of their sport tires, far from it. These would be pretty horrid on the track. just relating my experiences for other commuters.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i went with bridge stone tires.... i got the pre cut slicks medium compound and they are the best tire ive ever run.... its a shame that when i look at the rear i pray im gonna get 1k miles out of it :lol:

and judging by your avatar.... thats probably why your front tire has lasted 10k mile as its never on the freaking ground haha

·
Registered
696 Posts
The replacement is the diablo rosso corsa

im surprised you got 10k out of a track tire, it has to be pretty low on grip with all the heat cycles
Tires these days are much less effected by heat cycles, and offer really good grip pretty much right to the end of their tread. Use em all up before replacing!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tires these days are much less effected by heat cycles, and offer really good grip pretty much right to the end of their tread. Use em all up before replacing!
I may be taking that to the extreme, as I'm waiting for my new tire to come, my rear belt is starting to show. Obviously since there is less rubber back there, it would effect grip (not much cornering grip), and would affect stability in corners because I feel the structure of the tire is compromised when pushing it hard, since it could slightly "collapse" on hard corners. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm taking it a little more easy when my belt is showing. Or maybe I"m just stupid for riding like that in the first place.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and judging by your avatar.... thats probably why your front tire has lasted 10k mile as its never on the freaking ground haha
I actually don't wheelie much, at least not purposefully anymore. I'm still somewhat surprised that my front tire has lasted that long, and definitely has a few thousand left in it. I'm also really curious to know if other SMC owners still have their stock front tire. I also wonder if it's because I still have the stock suspension set-up, and haven't customized it for my weight and what-not, and somehow there is less weight on the front that there should be.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I ride on tires until the cords are showing. So far the best warm-weather street tire I've had on my SMC has been a Diablo Rosso. Best offroad so far is the Distanzia supermoto. Best cold-weather are the Avon Azaro Pro Extreme Rains. Even so, I still think the Michelin 2CT rear + Pilot Power front is the best street package ever made.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed with street tires, track tires there was a def noticable difference with the more heat cycles i put on tires (even while running warmers).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Of course, grip levels do decrease over the life of a tire, but I'm able to put fast laps with my motard on tires that have thousands laps and god knows how many heat cycles. I know my Pirellis are good until there's no rubber left on the sides. I don't even run warmers.

For this reason, buying take offs is a great value these days. Some guys are still taking their premium rubber off at the first sign of movement. If they just stuck with it, they would realize that the tire will still do the lap times almost right til the end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed some guys change tires after every sprint race. Not saying they don't have good grip still left in them and agree if you can get take off's for 50 bucks a set im sure you can get a couple thousand miles out of them.

Im just surprised that after a couple thousand of miles and many heat cycles that the tire still has grip he feels comfortable with.

Once i start feeling the rear start to slide around or the front start to push, that is when i changed out tires. Usually that point i was a few seconds off pace then what i was with fresh rubber.

I guess personal preference that i don't run them down to the cords, i swap tires out on what i feel the bike is doing.

I had a dragon super corsa sc2 that i cooked in a day a half at beaver springs, coming out of the carousal it was spining the whole time once i started putting down the power (on an R6).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts