SuperMoto Junkie banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Anything over 28lbs is just ignorance on a SMC.
I run 22 -24 ish.
I'm a local pro level SM racer and you'd be considered a hazard on the track with pressures above 28, and get clowned by even the beginner class riders cause even they know better. How does someone own a KTM SMC , and be this clueless about basic setup .. ?????
No wonder so many guys look like squids out on the roads .. Lol
Thanks for the morning laugh

Many have stated running higher pressure for added tire life, but unless you are at a track, where you abuse the entire width of the tire, wouldn't higher pressures actually make it wear faster for street use?
For day to day road use the tire wears fastest down the middle because the bike is mostly straight up during the majority of the miles. So, higher pressure would just make the center of the tire stand up more and focus the wear on a narrower width to wear it out quicker?
Obviously, way-low pressure would wear a tire real quick, but proper pressure should give ideal wear, No?

Many have stated running higher pressure for added tire life, but unless you are at a track, where you abuse the entire width of the tire, wouldn't higher pressures actually make it wear faster for street use?
For day to day road use the tire wears fastest down the middle because the bike is mostly straight up during the majority of the miles. So, higher pressure would just make the center of the tire stand up more and focus the wear on a narrower width to wear it out quicker?
Obviously, way-low pressure would wear a tire real quick, but proper pressure should give ideal wear, No?
Agreed. I thought the same thing. I still am surprised when I bring my wheel back from the shop, and find the PSI up to 40. They must just fill it and not even check it. Stupid, but even stupider (is that a word) for the rider to not check it first.

The manual states 29/29 for PSI. I ride at 28/28. I was riding at about 26/26 last season. Might go back to that (though I also have 2 different tires than last season too).

Another thing to consider when running max PSI in a tire is it's ability to absorb impact energy from road hazards. If you hit a sharp edged object at 60mph you could rupture the tire due to max PSI limiting it's ability to flex. Max PSI printed on the sidewall refers to using the tire at max payload, bike + rider weight. Pilot Power 120/70-17 info = Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure 520 lbs/42 psi. This means you should use 42psi if your total bike + rider weight is 1040lbs. Pilot Power 180/55-17 info = Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure 805 lbs/42psi. This means you should use 42psi if your total bike + rider weight is 1610 lbs. You SV + rider weight is likely 700lbs +/-, which would be roughly 350lbs per tire.

Ive run 33 front and rear in avon distanzias for awhile now.
I have run 28-29 psi but kill tires in 1200 miles.
Ill prob. Be lOwering pressures soon cause just
Bent oem rear smc wheel.:rant:
Does anyone aftermarket make wheels for the smc?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.