SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the clutch doesn't act like i thought it would. when i hear about slipper clutches i always hear that there is little to no engine braking. it seems like there is a good bit of engine braking with this bike. i have no problem with it, but it's just not what i expected.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the clutch doesn't act like i thought it would. when i hear about slipper clutches i always hear that there is little to no engine braking. it seems like there is a good bit of engine braking with this bike. i have no problem with it, but it's just not what i expected.
The point of a slipper clutch is not to reduce engine braking but to smooth it out by eliminating chatter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yea, I don't know if any of the bikes I've ever ridden have had slipper clutches...but to me, the 690 SMC doesn't really seem much different in regards to the clutch/shifting/transmission... Though, the tranny sometimes sounds like I'm shifting a Harley (with a distinctive hard "click" through most upshifts...)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I don't know if any of the bikes I've ever ridden have had slipper clutches...but to me, the 690 SMC doesn't really seem much different in regards to the clutch/shifting/transmission... Though, the tranny sometimes sounds like I'm shifting a Harley (with a distinctive hard "click" through most upshifts...)
exactly. it doesn't seem any different at all to me from a regular clutch.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a STM slipper in my CRF 450 and it feels similar to the SMC. I also had a STM on my last race bike CBR 600RR and it felt much different, way less engine braking. Maybe you don't notice it as much because the supermoto's lighter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This clutch is very subtle, you dont feel it doing its job, but believe me it is, I rode my old Duke II after 2000 miles on the SMC, then I realized how much it :D doing, on the Duke the back end was loose all the time but on the smc it keeps the bike inline & lets you set up for the corner in a very controlled way. I think its the nuts...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
correct! both of you are right. I think the other people are wanting results from a SC that it just doesnt do. .
i don't want any results. i had just never used a slipper clutch and just expected a lil differently. it's all good though, i like the clutch. i just don't ride crazy enough to fully utilize it, that i know.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I rode a 690 SM last year and I thought the slipper clutch was the coolest thing about the bike. It makes backing it in smoooth and drama free. I wish I had one in all my bikes! :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.