SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one confused by the service interval chart in the Owners Manual on Pages 59-61???

Can someone please translate it for me into miles?

K10N =

K50A =

K100A =

J1A =

J2A =

Also, am I correct that the clock only uses "Military" time? 24:00, etc...

Thanks,
JOHN

·
Registered
720 Posts
there is a legend underneath the maintenance schedule

K10N = 621.4

K50A = 3107/after every race

K100A = 6214

J1A = annually

J2A = every 2 years

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation....don't know how I missed that legend.

It's such a weird table/chart.....I wonder why it's just not in KM and/or MI?

Thanks again,
JOHN

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the explanation....don't know how I missed that legend.

It's such a weird table/chart.....I wonder why it's just not in KM and/or MI?

Thanks again,
JOHN
The legend is using terms for Kilometers. For example 1000 Kilometers is 621.4 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Valve check??

I'm bumpin' this thread and hoping someone's got some clarity on the subject. I'm getting mixed advice from dealers and online sources.

When are people doing their first valve service on the SMC?
600 miles or 3000 miles??
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
why?
service manual says every 6214 miles.
this is the correct answer.

But- i had them take a look @ 600ish mile mark "just to be safe", since it only takes like 25min to inspect a 1 cylinder value setup.

Safe they were - still in spec :bike:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Is there any clarification as to whether or not the warranty is void unless the KTM dealer does the service?

Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is there any clarification as to whether or not the warranty is void unless the KTM dealer does the service?

Thanks!
I work at a dealer and the answer is yes and no. Some dealers will not touch your vehicle unless they do all the services/maintenance. Some are ok with it as long as you keep maintenance records and receipts for all fluids/filters/gaskets/shims, etc. used as proof...and may or may not specify that those materials are purchased through them.

Technically unless you F'd it up it should be covered under warranty but some dealers will simply refuse to take in your motorcycle. Policies vary. Best thing to do is talk to your dealer's service manager and find out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
is the valve clearance done by shims or is it like the old LC4?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Done by shims and how in the hell did someone check the valve in 25 minutes? Christ it took me 2 hours just cause of all the crap to get off the top to get the cover off.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Remove seat, airbox, and valve cover. Should take all of about 10 minutes to get that stuff off.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I work at a dealer and the answer is yes and no. Some dealers will not touch your vehicle unless they do all the services/maintenance. Some are ok with it as long as you keep maintenance records and receipts for all fluids/filters/gaskets/shims, etc. used as proof...and may or may not specify that those materials are purchased through them.

Technically unless you F'd it up it should be covered under warranty but some dealers will simply refuse to take in your motorcycle. Policies vary. Best thing to do is talk to your dealer's service manager and find out.
Thanks for the response.

Is there anything in writing that would cover me? The way I read the manual, I leads me to believe they will not honor the warranty unless a KTM dealer does the service... :headscrat

Warranty

The maintenance work described in the greasing and service table must be carried out exclusively in an authorized KTM workshop and confirmed in the service record, since otherwise any warranty claim is meaningless. No warranty claim can be met for damage resulting from manipulation and/or other changes to the vehicle.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Is there anything in writing that would cover me? The way I read the manual, I leads me to believe they will not honor the warranty unless a KTM dealer does the service... :headscrat

to be completely honest - this is my drill ( I too have lollership nervousness )

Take it to the dealer, spend the what ? 300$ ? for a bi annual service - then take it to your real mechanic ( you know the one i mean ) and spend 100$ for him to look it over for spec and workmanship - have him alert you if anything is bad - proceed from there ( pay him to do the work )

2 birds, 2 stones - worth the piece of mind.

replace "the real mechanic" with "yourself" if you enjoy weekends in the garage ( I dont anymore except once in a blue moon and i finally make enough to say : yeah fix it - make it happen :bike: ) but still get that dealership sign off

Im stuck in the aforementioned service plans - i purchased a 5yr mechanical / electrical warranty ( totally worth 1k imho ). Just a suggestion; everyone has different $$ requirements - i scrape by, but can thankfully spare the money double this up. I've rebuilt everything except a transmission on 4japs and will gladly differ this work to someone else. Those that are inclined to do it themselves - spend the extra duckets and get dealership certification and ride the ever living piss out of the bike - break it- NOW! - get your money's worth

God knows i am :arsenal

·
Registered
634 Posts
Remove seat, airbox, and valve cover. Should take all of about 10 minutes to get that stuff off.
Ok this is not on a 690 SM or Duke then. Hell to remove the airbox on those you just take the bike apart!:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts