SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here.
I present me briefly ; I'm french and I use my 690 SMC-R for rallying in France. I love this bike, my previous one was a 990 SM, the 690 is of course less powerfull but as Colin Chapman said, "light is right" !

I want to put the best filter for my bike, I can put the EVOII filter, but I'm not convinced compared to the stock airbox if there's not a velocity stack incorporated inside. Is there one ? If not, I will prefer to do the same than THOR450 (I've seen his DIY filter)
If there's one, does the RX-5179 exactly the same than the one selled by KTM, with a velocity stack too ?

Thanks for your help, I've tried to find that by myself on the forum, but it is not easy.

Philippe.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I bought the EVOII filter, but I am very certain that the K&N RX-5179 is the same one as the EVOII filter. The velocity stack in the EVOII is not exactly the same as the stock airbox velocity stack, but it does have an incorporated velocity stack and it fits flush with the inner diameter of the throttle body inlet there is no bump going into throttle body, very smooth entry and designed to fit on the throttle body just like the stock velocity stack does. The bell end (end that is away from the throttle body does not have as pronounced of a curve the the standard velocity stack does, but it does fit and act as a velocity stack. (Hard to explain sorry)

hope this helps

·
Registered
859 Posts
more direct flow into the throttle body, the air does not have to make two 90 degree turns to get into the inlet.

There was a guy (highside?? on ktmfourm.uk or something like that rings a bell) that did some back to back dyno runs showing how a pod filter compared to the stock airbox with EVO1 lid and the pod made more power all through the RPM range. His pod filter tests were with the RU-1750 which does not have a nice transition into the throttle body, its a universal filter so there is a lip left sticking out inside where the throttle body inserts into the filter that lets that the incoming air tumble over. The re-branded EVOII / K&N part number RX-5179 does not have this fitment flaw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback ;)

I still have a doubt that it is the same filter. Externally, it is certainly the same, but internally ?
I still have this doubt because I found that on the KN catalog :

You can see that there's not the "note 1" (Filter has molded-in velocity stack) for the RX-5179.
Is there any refference engraved on the EVOII filter ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
more direct flow into the throttle body, the air does not have to make two 90 degree turns to get into the inlet.

There was a guy (highside?? on ktmfourm.uk or something like that rings a bell) that did some back to back dyno runs showing how a pod filter compared to the stock airbox with EVO1 lid and the pod made more power all through the RPM range. His pod filter tests were with the RU-1750 which does not have a nice transition into the throttle body, its a universal filter so there is a lip left sticking out inside where the throttle body inserts into the filter that lets that the incoming air tumble over. The re-branded EVOII / K&N part number RX-5179 does not have this fitment flaw.
Thanks for the info, that's a very good explanation (as usual) :thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm guessing that the filter will be the same in both the SMC and Duke, does anyone know?

Tried to find some pictures of the airfilter installed in a Duke but not found any, has anyone go a link to the instructions to install it to see I you can just get the filter or if you need mounting parts as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, now I cant have any doubt for the filter !!
It is 40€ cheaper on ebay than if I buy it by KTM, It's good to take !

·
Registered
859 Posts
you need the battery re-locate bracket, and new seat support brace to use this filter FYI. I believe you can buy these separate as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, all other parts of the EVOII kit can be ordered separatly.

All the ref and information to mount it are here

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sweet looking at the below its the same air filter in the Duke as the SMC, looking at the pictures of the kit they looked to have a different mount but the part numbers are the same so I can finally upgrade the intake without buying the whole EVO I kit :D
The mounting kits not that expensive but the filter from the agents is way to dear so its now worth doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok so I got the assembly kit (post above) and the filter separately. The kit doesn't have any directions and I have no idea where the brackets 1 and 2 go. Any ideas / pics?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the EVOII filter, but I am very certain that the K&N RX-5179 is the same one as the EVOII filter. The velocity stack in the EVOII is not exactly the same as the stock airbox velocity stack, but it does have an incorporated velocity stack and it fits flush with the inner diameter of the throttle body inlet there is no bump going into throttle body, very smooth entry and designed to fit on the throttle body just like the stock velocity stack does. The bell end (end that is away from the throttle body does not have as pronounced of a curve the the standard velocity stack does, but it does fit and act as a velocity stack. (Hard to explain sorry)

hope this helps
Do you believe that the K&N RX-5179 can fit on a 18' Husky 701?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts