SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if its me weighing 225lbs, but the front wheel doesn't come up easy like everyone is saying!! :headscrat I have set the engine settings to Advance and also did the 2nd and 3rd gear mod. Don't get me wrong the bike has power and its fast but not that wheelie on demand power I expected. I sit in the middle of the seat and give it full throttle in first and second gear and it just hauls ass but the front doesn't want to come up. I even tried clutching a second gear wheelie and nothing (I gave it alot of gas too). So, I decided to try to clutch first gear and I give it alot of gas and release the clutch and the front only comes up about an inch if that. If I were to have done this aggressive clutching with a sport bike I would have easily flipped the bike. It's not my wheelie technique as I know how to do wheelies and can hold them for a while on sport bikes. So, is there something wrong with my bike, since I hear that alot of people are pulling wheelies with just the throttle. :hmmm: I'm thinking about going -1 in the front but don't really want to sacrifice any top end as I like to do fast highway miles! Oh by the way my bike is stock.

·
Registered
728 Posts
it pulls wheelies like nothing up into 3rd gear for me.

what rpm's are you at when trying?

you gotta be down low in the revs to get it to come up. there seems to be a lot less torque past 7k. anything below that it pulls like crazy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can pull the front wheel in gears 1-3 no problem and I weight 220. You have to ride it like a dirt bike tho. Sound like you are trying to Wheelie it like a rocket.

I get my bike to about 3-4k rpms and then blurp the throtle or roll on it (depending on the gear higher gears take a little more). Give the bars a little tug and the front will come up.

Just play with it and I am sure you will get. Its ten times harder to wheelie a Rocket than this bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
it pulls wheelies like nothing up into 3rd gear for me.

what rpm's are you at when trying?

you gotta be down low in the revs to get it to come up. there seems to be a lot less torque past 7k. anything below that it pulls like crazy.
up into 3rd ,this i got to see, because mine wont without help from the clutch. We have the same bike, will you try it on mine and see if you get the same results?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to ride it like a dirt bike tho. Sound like you are trying to Wheelie it like a rocket.
This may be my problem I'm trying to wheelie it like I did with my R1 and R6. So, how exactly do you ride/wheelie it like a dirt bike? :headscrat

·
Registered
728 Posts
up into 3rd ,this i got to see, because mine wont without help from the clutch. We have the same bike, will you try it on mine and see if you get the same results?
I suck at wheelies and i don't get them anywhere near balance point. i just like getting the front off the ground, it just feels cool. :). but right in the middle of the mid-range in 3rd just grab a handful and give a good tug on the bars and she'll lift up. when cresting the right hill, 3rd will shoot right up on it's own, and 4th with a little help as well. and like i said, i am no wheelie expert. i'd rather not loop this expensive toy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try some of these methods, as it may be me trying to wheelie the bike like a sport bike and will give my feedback.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ever since I put it on the advanced setting and did the gear mod I can hardly keep the front down in 1st and 2nd. I love it. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just rode one, and I can't for the life of me imagine having any problems with wheelies in any of the first couple of gears. Keep in mind I was riding a dealer bike, so I didn't really try anything too crazy... ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok went out and did some riding! I now know what you guys are talking about, staying low in the powerband as I could now bring it up in first gear with a quick twist of the throttle. As far as second and third gear I don't know how you guys bring it up using any method? I tried yanking on the bars (not a lot either didn't want to flip it either), rolling on then off then on the throttle either didn't not work in second gear as the rpms go up really fast, and down very slow. Staying in the low powerband of second and third gear the bike feels like it wants to turn off. So, by the time you wack the throttle open the bike just lunges foward. I was sitting far back in the seat too. I rode a Husky 450 one day and I was doing wheelies easily in first and second without any struggle! I just might go down one gear in the front even if I sacrifice some top end speed!

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you're not looking straight at the sky after whacking it in 2nd I'd imagine there might be something wrong.
yes, i agree. i don't even mess around in first. second she will come right up (sky high) anywhere between 4k-7k. 3rd will come up between 4,000 - about 7,000 with a nice tug or the right spot in the road. but like i said before, i am not getting it close to balance point nor am i holding them long. i'm just not a bike wheelie guy. i just like to feel the front come off the ground and start to lift then i roll off. i am so afraid of looping on the road that i don't get them high at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ok went out and did some riding! I now know what you guys are talking about, staying low in the powerband as I could now bring it up in first gear with a quick twist of the throttle. As far as second and third gear I don't know how you guys bring it up using any method? I tried yanking on the bars (not a lot either didn't want to flip it either), rolling on then off then on the throttle either didn't not work in second gear as the rpms go up really fast, and down very slow. Staying in the low powerband of second and third gear the bike feels like it wants to turn off. So, by the time you wack the throttle open the bike just lunges foward. I was sitting far back in the seat too. I rode a Husky 450 one day and I was doing wheelies easily in first and second without any struggle! I just might go down one gear in the front even if I sacrifice some top end speed!
Dont try to wheelie from second right after shifting from high revs in 1st. You'll probably be going too fast as that point to get a good pull-up. It might work for some though. But I usually am just cruising at low speeds in second, then jack the throttle all the way, then it will come up on its own. Granted, I only weigh 175 (6'2"), but that shouldnt really be a factor considering you're at the center (or further towards the back) of the bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was out some tonight, finally got the bike registered, drove over to a friends house, did the two wire disconnect, a bit more power in 2nd and 3rd, i can wheelie easy with a yank in first and second gear, but third I have to clutch it some, I live at 5500 feet elevation here in New Mexico, so don't have quite the power of the flatlanders, but still does well....

·
Registered
265 Posts
1st, 2nd and 3rd no problem on mine either. Can't wait for a pipe/re-map and possibly some gearing, It's going to be an animal.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a feeling I'm going to loop this bike trying to bring it up in 2nd or 3rd gear...lol Today in the morning riding to work I figured I try some wheelies in 2nd gear clutching it and still no good!! I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with my bike because I would hold the clutch in for a long time and give it alot of gas and snap out the clutch and all I get is super high revs and a fast lunge foward. If there is anyone in the Northern NJ or NYC area that got the 690 smc and wants to go for a ride this weekend let me know. I would like to see someone wheelie my bike as easy as people are claiming.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts