SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm just about due for my first service, but neither KTM dealer in my area has any of the Motorex Cross Power 4T 10/60 oil in stock.

I had them call Parts Unlimited and they are currently sold out of all sizes with no ETA date showing when it will be back in stock.

One KTM dealer had a few bottles of the Motorex Power Synt 4T 10/60 so I grabbed them. It was mentioned on another thread that these two oils are identical except for the label......(street bike VS. dirt bike)......does anyone know this to be true? The Motorex website goes on & on about how the Cross Power formula was developed with KTM specifically for our engines.

My dealer says to just use the 10/50 they have in stock???

On another note, I picked up the two oil filters needed for the job. Supposedly these are the correct Part #'s for the SMC.....can anybody confirm this?

Long Filter: 5803 8005 100

Short Filter: 5903 8046 100

I just wanna make sure I have all the right stuff before I drain it.

It seems like everywhere I call and ask for parts for the 690 SMC I usually get parts for the 690 SM.......even though I repeat it over and over again......SMC, SMC, SMC!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

Thanks for the help.

JOHN

·
Registered
728 Posts
last i knew the gallons were in stock at parts unlimited. the quarts were on back order till the end of june(but it is the end of june). i am not sure if the power synt 4t is the same as the crosspower 4t. i'd say call motorex and ask them if thats really true(but i kinda doubt its the same exact oil).

but i would definitely be sure to use a 10w60 and NOT a 10w50 though. if ktm wants that thick of an oil then use that thick of an oil.

i do have one gallon of the crosspower 4t 10w60 left at my shop, but i am in NY and it looks like you are in CA. if you want it i'll ship it to ya but it'll be a week away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for confirming the oil filter part #'s.

I know this subject was kinda discussed already in another thread, I just wanted to clear my mind....lol

mcjason, I'll take the gallon from ya. I'll shoot ya a PM.

In the meantime, I emailed Motorex and I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks guys,
JOHN

·
Registered
189 Posts
My dealer had 2 gal. of which I bought one. Didn't have any quarts though. I changed my oil/ filters & cleaned the screens last night. I had quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug and the filter screens but I guess that could be normal on a new engine. Has anyone else ran into this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
i had some very minor engine debris in both the screens and on the magnetic plug. nothing to worry about though.

i did the 1st change at 300 miles and i will do one again at 1,800 miles(1,500 miles after the 1st change) just to be extra safe. then i will be changing it every 3k from there on out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

Below is a copy of my email to Motorex and their response regarding the differences between the two oils.

I also had called them earlier today and was told the same thing. He explained that they are the exact same oils, except the Cross Power has an "Additive Package" that the LC4 engine requires.

What are you guys using to clean the screens? Simple Green? Engine Degreaser???

By the way Jason, I ordered the gallon from your shop today.....Marc was a huge help. Thanks again.

Cross Power VS. Synt

Hi,

I just puchased a 2008 KTM 690 SMC and am preparing to get my 1st oil change done.

It is very difficult to find the Cross Power 4T 10/60 oil at many KTM dealers.

However, the Power Synt 4T 10/60 is much easier to find.

Is there a genuine difference between these two oils?

Thanks,
JOHN

Yes. There is a genuine difference. The Cross Power is developed for your bike. The Power Synt is developed for GSXR engines. The main difference is that the Cross Power has special additives for the unique coatings of your 690 engine.

Here is the good news: Every dealer CAN order it from Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited. It is in both catalogs. Most times it is just a day or two away.

Thanks
Joe Hurd
National Sales & Marketing Manager
Motorex USA
900 Mendelssohn Ave. N
Golden Valley , MN 55427

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dealer had 2 gal. of which I bought one. Didn't have any quarts though. I changed my oil/ filters & cleaned the screens last night. I had quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug and the filter screens but I guess that could be normal on a new engine. Has anyone else ran into this?
I just finished draining my oil & cleaning the screens, etc. Yea, I had some metal shavings also....more so on the screen from the left side of the bike than the screen from under the engine. I have 500 miles on it.

JOHN

·
Registered
599 Posts
is there an oil pressure warning light?

I put new oil in and started the engine. I didn't see any warning lights.

·
Registered
189 Posts
nice! thanks for the business, man. glad we could help you out.

oh and to clean the screens i used brake cleaner.
I used brake cleaner as well when I did mine. A hell of a lot of it too. I noticed that when I sprayed the screens some of the shavings got pushed through the screens so I ran a fine rag through the center of it to dislodge the metal. Then sprayed them again, so look at your screens closely before re-inserting them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
+1 on the brake clean. Then I blow them out lightly with compressed air. I did the 1st change at 150 and had a fair amount of small particles in the screens and on the magnet. Did the second change at 550 and didn't have much of anything in the screens, a little on the magnet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, that's what I did too....worked good. Held a finger on one end of the screen and shot some air down in there forcing the air out of the screens and thus the metal shavings also!

JOHN

·
Registered
102 Posts
i had some very minor engine debris in both the screens and on the magnetic plug. nothing to worry about though.

i did the 1st change at 300 miles and i will do one again at 1,800 miles(1,500 miles after the 1st change) just to be extra safe. then i will be changing it every 3k from there on out.
According to the manual, oil change interval is as follows:

After 600 miles
Every 3000 miles or after every race
Every 6000 miles
Every Year
Every Two Years

:hmmm::headscrat

Anyone make any sense of this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
According to the manual, oil change interval is as follows:

After 600 miles
Every 3000 miles or after every race
Every 6000 miles
Every Year
Every Two Years

:hmmm::headscrat

Anyone make any sense of this?
what don't you understand?
they just want to make sure that even if you don't ride 3000 miles in a year, you still change the oil.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts