SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya (^_^)

Well.... my DRZ 434 SM has been fun but can't say very exciting. A friend of mine let me go for a quick parking lot spin on his SMC a couple months ago and since then the shine has come off the Suzuki.

By chance, l found a 2008 SMC with 3,000 kms, full FMF carbon pipe, airbox mod, HID, full sliders and Tuneboy for sale. Going for a test drive later today.... STOKED! With a bit of luck l'll be a new owner :bannana:

No doubt there will be lots of noob questions to follow.... please be patient...LOL!

One thing l was wondering... how do you remove the rear passenger grab rails and have smooth lines? Do you have to buy new rear plastics or is there a kit to plug the holes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
awesome and I hope it works out for ya'! I just put rubber grommets from Home Depot in the grab handle holes in my rear fender when the handles are off. It looks better than just holes drilled in the plastics!! Once the handles are on, the holes are there. You can always cover them with stickers or get creative somehow!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thor!

Thanks for your mail. Gotcha. l'll make a run to the local DIY and see what there is. lf l wanted to permanently make my bike a solo machine, can l buy a non-"holy" rear fender?

Also... does the SMC come with those funky passenger peg eliminators or are they after market extras?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi Thor!

Thanks for your mail. Gotcha. l'll make a run to the local DIY and see what there is. lf l wanted to permanently make my bike a solo machine, can l buy a non-"holy" rear fender?

Also... does the SMC come with those funky passenger peg eliminators or are they after market extras?
It should come with both the passenger pegs, and also plastic heel guards (which are used if the passenger pegs aren't).

·
Registered
451 Posts
The rear fender side panels are one piece and can be had for about $90 in black, white or orange through KTM. I don't think anyone else like acerbis or UFO makes them yet unless someone else knows otherwise. Also, KTM is not bringing the 690 SMC into the US anymore so that may drive up the price / demand but there seems to be plenty of good used ones out there. It will just depend on how patient you are or how far you want to drive for one. My best advice would be to find a low mile one in good shape because you know from owning a DRZ, modding it is half the fun!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Good luck on the test ride dude and I hope you become a proud new owner of a 690smc as we are always happy to get another added the the site!
And I couldn't agree more with the above statement when he says that modding is half the fun.! Enjoy it

·
Registered
74 Posts
do any of you guys have a set of the grab handles that you have taken off that you would like to get rid of i would like to have a set

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately l wasn't able to go for a test ride... for various reasons. The biggest one was that a typhoon had the nerve to blow in on the same weekend as my test drive was planned. How rude!

Anyway... the owner is a stand up guy who is going to service the bike and make it perfect before selling it. Hopefully l'll be in the saddle in a couple of weeks. l've locked onto a Corbin saddle from another member on here so the modding has already started...LOL! Don't think l will be needing more power since the airbox mods have already been done along with an FMF full pipe and Tuneboy. That should be enough to keep me entertained... or scared!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Same about the test ride but we can all tell you what it'll e like and you would've loved it.... And te nodding will never stop now you've started... And as for power... I've almost done the looks on my bike now im hunting for more POWER lol

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
do any of you guys have a set of the grab handles that you have taken off that you would like to get rid of i would like to have a set
I have a brand new set, never installed.... $10 shipped? PM your address if interested.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've been trying to sell mine for a while now. Some people get interested, then I never hear back from them. I'd sell them for $9.99 shipped if you'd like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya!

Another quick question about the rear fender... when you say get it from KTM do you mean directly from the importer, KTM direct or from a dealer? Also... does it come with the factory decals?

l want to order one. l'll never have a passenger (^_^)

Oh! One more.... crash protection. The bike already comes with axle sliders, frame sliders and hand guards... but the bottom of the engine is unprotected. l like the look of those form-fitting black plate things that attach to the bottom of the engine. l've also seen carbon engine side case protectors. Are SMCs prone to having their side cases punctured from clutch or brake levers?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The bash plate you speak of is the "690 enduro R" skid plate and is about $35-$45 with all the bolts from your Ktm dealer

The rear fender you can get from your Ktm dealer and it comes plain (without decals)
And i haver heard about levers busting casings yet.... The levers tend to break before the engine casings lol.... People mainly put them on for looks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahhh, l see.

Anybody have a link to a decent dealer who would ship internationally? l live in Japan and l bet it's cheaper to pay for shipping than to buy from a dealer here.

Where would l be able to find the decals for that rear fender? I guess l could put anything back there...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ahhh, l see.

Anybody have a link to a decent dealer who would ship internationally? l live in Japan and l bet it's cheaper to pay for shipping than to buy from a dealer here.

Where would l be able to find the decals for that rear fender? I guess l could put anything back there...
Bike Bandit is a good website for finding parts and ordering them. Here is the linkt o the 2010 690 Enduro R parts:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2010-ktm-690-enduro-r/o/m19287

Here is the link to the 2010 690 SMC parts:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2010-ktm-690-smc/o/m19288

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Threw down a deposit!!

Looks like l'll be putting my DRZ on the chopping block. The seller sent me boatloads of pics so once l figure out how to upload l will post some up.

That KTM 690 E engine guard comes as a kit, does it? l'd like to buy one. Do you reckon it provides decent protection?

·
Registered
20 Posts
...And i haver heard about levers busting casings yet.... The levers tend to break before the engine casings lol.... People mainly put them on for looks
A friend just had an incident with a car backing down the street. The bike was fine for the one exception of the rear brake lever pushing into the clutch cover and puncturing it. He was able to fix it on the spot with bondo of all things (all that was on hand via a witness who had some in his car).

I personally wouldn't go with the protective cover as I don't like the way they look and they're about as expensive as a new cover; however... yes, it is possible to damage the clutch cover. The important things are the axle sliders as the fork and swingarm are way more expensive to replace.

Just saw my friend and snapped a shot of his busted but bondo'd clutch cover. As you can see from the photo how dropping the bike could cause the rear brake lever to push into the cover. That being said, I took his for a spin and the brake lever is sitting pretty high, noticeable more so than mine. Not sure if that is a result of the fall or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts