SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had my 2008 KTM 690 SMC since June of 2008, and it has 9,306 miles on it. I've done oil changes regularly and had the valve clearance checked too. It was also in an accident a couple summers ago (nothing bad really) and had a few things replaced. Last summer I was having fuel pump issues and eventually had that replaced too. But anyways...

I was looking through the "Greasing and Service Table" list in the manual, and it looks like I have a lot to do before I should ride this summer. What are your thoughts on the list below. Which ones do you highly recommend I get done, and which ones do you think are just a waste of time? The italicized ones are what I had planned on doing.

Change engine oil and oil filter, clean oil screens.
Check and adjust valve clearance.
Check engine mounting screws for tightness.
Replace spark plug.
Check engine bolts accessible from outside for tightness.

-
Check connection boots for cracks and leakage.
Read out the error memory with a KTM diagnostic tool.
Check fuel hoses, SLS hoses, and vent hoses for damage, correct fitting, and leaks.
Clean, check and grease the O-ring of the fuel hose connection.
Check the cable harness of the throttle valve body for damage and correct positioning.

-
Check the cooling system for leakage.
Check the antifreeze and coolant level.
Check the functioning of the radiator fan.
Check the exhaust system for leaks and correct fitting and check that the exhaust holders are tight.
Check Bowden cables for damage, smooth operation, routing without sharp bends, and setting.
Check/correct the fluid level of the hydraulic clutch.
Check air filter and change if necessary. Clean the air filter box.
Check cables for damage and routing without sharp bends.
Check the headlight setting.

-
Check the functioning of the electrical equipment.
Check screws and nuts for tightness.
-
Check the front brake linings.
Check the rear brake linings.
Check the brake discs.
Check the front brake fluid level.
Check the rear brake fluid level.
Change brake fluid.
Check brake lines for damage and leakage.
Check the free play of the foot brake lever.
Check braking.
Check screws and guide bolts of brake system for tightness.
-
Check shock absorber for leakage and functioning.
Clean dust boots of fork legs.
Bleed fork legs.
Check swingarm bearing.
Check play of steering head bearing.
Check all screws to see if they are tight.
Grease Pro-Lever deflector.
-
Check the spoke tension.
Check rim run-out.
Check tire condition.
Check the tire air pressure.
-
Check the chain wear.
Check the rear sprocket / engine sprocket for tightness.
Check the rear sprocket / engine sprocket for wear.
Check the chain tension.
Check wheel bearing for play.
Check the rear hub rubber dampers.

-
Carry out a complete fork service.
Carry out a complete shock absorber service.
Clean and grease steering head bearing and sealing elements.
Treat electric contacts with contact spray.
Clean the battery terminals and treat them with contact grease.
Change coolant.

So... thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
nobody in their right mind follows these schedules to the letter, it would cost a small fortune if you had to get all this done at a dealer (for the people who can't do maintenance stuff themselves)

there are only a few vital things you need to stay on top of. first and foremost are oil changes (includes filter swaps and screen cleansing) and valve checks.

depending how often you ride I'd either service the suspension once a year if you really ride a lot or once every 2 years if you're not that fanatic about riding.

brake fluid I'd change out once a year if you're just a street rider, same goes for the clutch fluid.

checking the chain, sprockets, brake pads, tyre pressure, air filter, bleed the fork legs (will prevent pressure buildup which can cause seals to start leaking) etc are things you should do on a regular basis. don't wait until you hear your pads and rotor squeal from metal on metal contact before you actually bother to look down and check the pads. these are small things that don't take up much time or even skill and will keep your bike running as it should.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Good answer Skully:thumbup:
Also, if you do a lot of riding in the rain good idea to clean and repack steering stem and swingarm bearings.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nobody in their right mind follows these schedules to the letter, it would cost a small fortune if you had to get all this done at a dealer (for the people who can't do maintenance stuff themselves)

there are only a few vital things you need to stay on top of. first and foremost are oil changes (includes filter swaps and screen cleansing) and valve checks.

depending how often you ride I'd either service the suspension once a year if you really ride a lot or once every 2 years if you're not that fanatic about riding.

brake fluid I'd change out once a year if you're just a street rider, same goes for the clutch fluid.

checking the chain, sprockets, brake pads, tyre pressure, air filter, bleed the fork legs (will prevent pressure buildup which can cause seals to start leaking) etc are things you should do on a regular basis. don't wait until you hear your pads and rotor squeal from metal on metal contact before you actually bother to look down and check the pads. these are small things that don't take up much time or even skill and will keep your bike running as it should.
So from Skully's list, I would probably do this:

Oil & Filter Change (already have this ready to go, with new filters and a jug of oil left over from last summer).

Replace Oil Screens (I've been cleaning them, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to replace them).

Valve Check (hopefully will get my brother-in-law to help me with this one -- should I do this before or after the oil change, or doesn't it matter?)

Brake Fluid Change

Clutch Lever Fluid Change

Potentially Replace Sprockets (I've noticed some wear, but nothing drastic last time I checked)

Check Brake Pads

Clean Air Filter (it's never been too dirty when I check it, so I assume I shouldn't bother replacing it?)

Replace Spark Plug (with new OEM one) (I'm not even sure if it needs it, but I figure it won't hurt considering all the fuel pump issues I've had)

Bleed Forks (should I really do this on the kickstand like the manual says? I've been doing this on an engine-stand so the suspension isn't compressed at all).

Check Pads & Rotors.

Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts