SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it keeps popping and spittin really bad, and keeps shutting off at stop lights and such. just not running good at all. the idle is jumping around and not being steady at all.

anybody else experienced it running like poop?

·
Registered
569 Posts
no, haven't had that problem, did a ride up the crest here today, about 60- 70 miles or more, ran awesome and that was going from 5500 feet at my house to 11,600 feet up at the crest

might want to take to the dealer, have them reload the stock map, let it sit at idle for 15 minutes after the remap, see if that fixes it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, haven't had that problem, did a ride up the crest here today, about 60- 70 miles or more, ran awesome and that was going from 5500 feet at my house to 11,600 feet up at the crest

might want to take to the dealer, have them reload the stock map, let it sit at idle for 15 minutes after the remap, see if that fixes it
yea i figured i'd reflash it on tuesday when i get to work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look up my post as "old3" on ktmtalk in the dualsport forums, 3k miles, stalling since new, KTM can't fix it, (my brother's bike),,,,

AND THE FUEL TANK WAS MELTING!!!!! ON TWO BIKES!!!!!

Chime in over there!!! We have found at least 5 with the same symptom and no fix!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
im the proud owner of an 07 690 sm.....that stalls.....goes back to the dealer for remap......stalls......goes back to the dealer for ktm tech to visit dealer and remap......stalls.......now ktm advises the dealer that the tech they sent to fix my stalling finally knows how to remap them...so my bike will be remapped correctly the next time...ok in summary ktm does not know how to resolve this problem, trade it in, sell it, contact the NHTSA and let them know how unsafe your 690 and many others are, or deal with a brand new state of the art motorcycle thet is less reliable than a 1960 something bultaco!!!!!!!!!

ps my gas tank melted!!!!!!!!!as did the one on an 08 690 duke my dealer worked on!!

go to the thread old3 started, good luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm.... some very unsatisfied customers. thats not cool.

i just wonder why it was all fine and dandy and then all of a sudden today it's runnin like poop. stalling, and now popping on decel more than ever.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Look for a vacume leak. Maybe a plug or cap fell off on a line that was removed or plugged if you got rid of your EPA crap. Good luck!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look for a vacume leak. Maybe a plug or cap fell off on a line that was removed or plugged if you got rid of your EPA crap. Good luck!
it could be a vacuum leak, but where?

i haven't touched the EPA crap yet.

the manual says at 621 miles to "check the cable harness of the throttle valve body for damage and correct positioning". i wonder if this needs adjustment, maybe thats why its stalling out.

i'm gonna go play around and check some stuff over.

·
Registered
569 Posts
maybe the TPS? it is interesting that it ran fine until now, when you get to work, i would pull the plastic, look around for anything that got some heat, possibly melted, some of the breather/vacuum lines would cause just what you are saying....

·
Registered
304 Posts
We've been thru the bike over & over, KTM dealer mechanics and a factory service tech was sent out, all to no avail. They think there may be a "new" method to download the map, everything has been tried at this point. I think they are shooting in the dark, the original factory process was repeated several times now.

P.S. Your EVAP and limiter will be reactivated by a KTM tech if you did any of it. Our stalling was before that step, we did it to try and resolve the stalling with a little advice from a good source. I've done 3 950s cannisters and EVAP, SAS & in similar fashion though the 690 is clearly different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine has popped while engine braking, and only spitted once at super low rpm. I have also taken all the crap out of my exhaust so it might have popped because of the decrease in back pressure. Another thing also is that a 650cc single cylinder motor is going to be wired and sluggy at low rpm just because of the design of it. My cbr600rr used to pop when engine braking and that had 4 cylinders. My buddies 07 rmz450 also pops. I have about 540miles on my 690smc. I have also done the wire mod.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ours will sit on the stand idleing and just die, clutch in at a stop, die, mid corner, pull the clutch and die, riding at 65 in traffic and die under load. Check any front fuel tank 690s for melting tanks at the 4 bolt rectangular panel above the header.

We race 4t bikes in MX and supermoto all over the streets and parking lots too. This is not a decel popping from a typical lean condition for us, it just stops as if the key is off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is stalling, and popping on decel aswell. I have had trouble stalling in first and second gears mostly. I thought it was a lean issue. Now Im getting worried as I see more and more of these reports.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok she seems to be running much better now, i rode it some more and then topped the gas back off. i topped it off at a station that i knew was good and had a seperate nozzle for each grade. i think it must have been shitty gas. i did a mix of some aggressive riding, and some stop and go city stuff. it only stalled once and wasn't popping anymore than it did before. the idle is once again steady and at around 1,750 like it should be.

i will report back later, but i am 98% sure it was just some crappy gas.

·
Registered
569 Posts
the gas is possible, i am running 91 octane (at our high altitude we don't get 93, don't need it, equates to the same) and get it from a reliable dealer, I run it in my ATV, GSXR1000 and my SMC, so proven.

Even with our hard/fast ride today, I went 92 miles, 1.532 gallons on fillup, thats just over 60 MPG....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm thinkin maybe with the ignition on setting number 2, that maybe it needs really good gas to run properly because it advances the timing so much.

maybe i either got a low grade gas, or maybe the gas was bad and had water or something in it. who knows.

but it seems better now, rides normal, sounds normal, idles normal, only died once at idle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts