SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many miles have people gone with the low fuel light on?

i remember doing somewhere in the early to mid twentys after the light, the first week i had the bike. now once i get about 18 miles or so past the light turning on it runs like it is running out of gas(bogging and spitting), but when i finally make it to the gas station it only takes 2.7 or 2.8 to fill it right up to the top. so there is still plenty of gas left being that our tank is 3.2 gallons.

i think i may have some sort of fuel issue still.

also i have a good amount of popping on decel, and sometimes a slight hesitation when rolling back on the throttle. sometimes the idle gets rough and sometimes stalls at idle. is anybody else getting any of that?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think I noticed some slight hesitation when rolling back on the throttle. And only popping on decel at certain times/RPMs/gears...nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Haven't had it stall yet. Though I did have some trouble getting it to start after the oil change, but I'm sure that's normal. Not sure about how long it goes after the fuel light. I assume it was a little over 20 miles, I think the most I've gone was about 15. Though I am tempted to run it out of gas to see how far it will go.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i had 140 miles on today, fuel light still not on, haven't hit that point yet

one thing i don't like is the touchiness right when getting on the throttle, it jumps and studders, when rolling on its fine, but can be in any gear crusing and trying to hold the throttle steady it is on/off on the fuel...and with my MS and almost no feeling in my right arm/hand right now, its a pain...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
26 miles here with the light on
the other day i did 16 and it started running like it was out of gas, then again the other day at 18 miles it started running real bad then died and wouldn't stay running. had my dad come bring me gas on the side of the road. dumped just a splash in, and when i got home took a gallon out of the tank so it was nowhere near out. this is pissin me off, that and the constant hesitation and stalling.

well, actually the hesitation and stalling is intermittent which makes it even more strange.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I don't have one, so this may seem like a stupid question. (It seems valid to me) Is the gas cap vented properly? If not, the tank will be under a vacuum when you run it almost out, causing the problems you're describing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have one, so this may seem like a stupid question. (It seems valid to me) Is the gas cap vented properly? If not, the tank will be under a vacuum when you run it almost out, causing the problems you're describing.
the time when it died leaving me stuck on the side of the road i thought the same thing. opened the cap, put it back on and tried again and still nothing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i had 140 miles on today, fuel light still not on, haven't hit that point yet

one thing i don't like is the touchiness right when getting on the throttle, it jumps and studders, when rolling on its fine, but can be in any gear crusing and trying to hold the throttle steady it is on/off on the fuel...and with my MS and almost no feeling in my right arm/hand right now, its a pain...
An easy way to solve your problem cruising is to simply wrap your thumb and index finger around the throttle body and the flange of the grip. It allows you to to keep it at a constant speed and you can accelerate smoothly without the bike trying to jump away from you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thanks, i've tried that, is it just jumpy for me or for everyone else, i know mine surges, so figured it was that way on all of them....my Akra will be in tomorrow and hopefully get it mapped on saturday, so will see how it does then

·
Registered
189 Posts
thanks, i've tried that, is it just jumpy for me or for everyone else, i know mine surges, so figured it was that way on all of them....my Akra will be in tomorrow and hopefully get it mapped on saturday, so will see how it does then
Mine is jumpy as well. You got to have your body positioned the right way before you burp the throttle or grab a handful. Damn thing is likely to leave you sitting and go on without you.

I'm going to wait on other options before getting a slip-on. I just can't justify paying top coin for the Akra slip-on and definitely can't justify paying the cost of the full system. It's a great looking system though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to try and remove throttle play and try setting 2 once again. Honestly, I can live with the way it rides on setting 3.

I just can't live with myself knowing that #2 has more power while using setting #3.

I think this is going to be a great bike.
as long as you don't end up having the same problems i am having it will be a great bike.

just took it in to have it remapped. we remapped it and let it idle for the 15 minutes. 1st time starting it up after remap it died after about 10 seconds. then started it again and idled perfectly for the 15 minutes. shut it off, put all my gear on and turned it back on and its right back to the way it was before. it stalled 3 times before i could even make it out of the parking lot.

i dont understand why it would idle fine for those 15 minutes then not idle at all after shutting it off then turning it back on. this is bull shit, it looks like no riding for me for the weekend..

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, I just orderd the FMF slip-on.

Jason, would it be horrible if I just installed the pipe and didn't remap?

Might not get "all" the power available, but I wouldn't have to take a chance on the dealer messing up the mapping. It get GREAT mileage and pull hard the way it is. I'm just looking for a deeper exhaust note.

Ideas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
it'll most likely run lean if you don't remap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Jason,

It sucks to see you're having problems again.

Especially when you work at a KTM Dealer.....so you would think you would have access to all the "inside" info to get things straightened out right away.

Um, have you tried re-connecting the wire-mod wires? Those probably have nothing to do with the particular issues you are having, but it would be interesting to see if that fixes it or not.

JOHN

1 - 20 of 57 Posts