SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decent weather prompted me to get the SMC ready to go. DId a fresh oil change, reinstalled the battery and let it run a little.

went out to garage next day and saw some very small drops of dark fluid under the bike. My first thought was did I not tighten down a drain bolt/filter cover, etc... what I found was a trail of gas leaking down from around the square plate that holds the fuel pump/filter on the bottom of the tank. Tank has been full with gas all winter no leak, now it leaks after I let it run for 5 mins.

Did a quick search and didn't see anyone else post this problem. Just curious if any has had this issue. I'm wondering if the gasket material might be deteriorated from ethanol in the fuel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My bike and one other one recently in the KTM section had our fuel pressure regulators leak. the rubber seal looked fine on mine but the white goop they had sealing it up degraded and ran all over the place. Looked terrible but my pics wont upload. I removed the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned everything really well, and sealed it with permatex. I sealed all around the bolts too, cause thats where the other guys was leaking. I need to fill my tank to full to check if it is really fixed but I think I got it.
BTW, we have up to 10% ethanol in our gas, and it SUCKS! I have cleaned a lot of carburetors, and redone a lot of fuel injection systems on boats (my trade), because the ethanol absorbs water and then it passes right through any filter. Then the boat sits for a little while and the water screws everything up. Not fun. Also, the old fiberglass tanks under the seat of a Boston Whaler melt. Literally, melt from the ethanol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i have the same issue. hopefully my seal is still good. im going to try to permatex mine to. i looked and a new seal was around $100.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There are places that sell ethanol free fuel, it just may take some effort to find them. I have a local fuel depot, but they sell to the public and offer low grade and premium in ethanol free, albeit at $4.35/gallon (what I paid today). The tank on my Ducati had started to deform from the ethanol and my dad had to have all the carbs rebuilt on his 3 Yamaha outboards in the last month, most likely due to ethanol. Nasty stuff and corn producing state senators are pushing for 15%, since it means cash for their states.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
need to run it out of gas pull it open and have a close look.

yeah, approval has passed EPA OK for 15% but it has only been accepted as suitable for cars and truck built after 2007. I did read though that they are possibly going to alter that approval for 2001 and newer. It is not EPA approved for any motorcycle or small engine use.

They should reverse their approval of 10% for boats, motorcycles, and small engines based on all the issues and repair costs its causing people.

The fact that it produces almost 40% less power/efficiency compared to straight gasoline and also produces more emissions should be enough to kill 15%, but those lobbyists and farmers seems to have lots of political pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fuel leak from pump mounting plate

My 07 sm is doing the same thing. Called Loctite they recomended contact cement p/n 30540. Called Pemitex they recomended Motoseal,both products are fuel resistant. I orderd the Loctite will see if it works. Good luck

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was going to try using Locktite 518.

It is the Aprilia recommended sealer of the fuel pump plate in my OEM repair manual on my RSVR which is also an aluminum plate sealed to a composite tank surface. I had to buy a tube last year when I replaced the filter. Don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Probably any anaerobic fuel/oil/solvent resistant sealer would work in our situation. Just make sure you don''t use any permanent glue type sealer because this plate needs to be easily removed for maintenance purposes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 07 sm is doing the same thing. Called Loctite they recomended contact cement p/n 30540. Called Pemitex they recomended Motoseal,both products are fuel resistant. I orderd the Loctite will see if it works. Good luck

Thanks for the info. My '10 Duke is starting to do it too. Not yet a leak but a slight weeping.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
looking closely at the loctite 30540 I wouldn't use it. It is for gluing weatherstripping. It may seal but I would be afraid of not getting the plate off again later when you need to do maintenance.

loctite 515 would be best, followed by loctite 518, or permatex 51813 All would be much better IMO

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I had the leak at the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the inside/right of the tank. Bought the new seal kit and it still leaked. So I ended up using non permanent fuel resistant Permatex and it's holding fine. Fuel was dripping directly on the head pipe, very, very bad.:rant:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:

fixed the fuel pump mounting plate leak, now it is leaking from the regulator plate. Bummer, as I had the tank drained and dry just a week ago. Need to do it all over again for the other plate.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I feel your pain. The up side is that I have been leak free for some time now, so the Permatex seems to be a valid solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike and one other one recently in the KTM section had our fuel pressure regulators leak. the rubber seal looked fine on mine but the white goop they had sealing it up degraded and ran all over the place. Looked terrible but my pics wont upload. I removed the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned everything really well, and sealed it with permatex. I sealed all around the bolts too, cause thats where the other guys was leaking. I need to fill my tank to full to check if it is really fixed but I think I got it.
BTW, we have up to 10% ethanol in our gas, and it SUCKS! I have cleaned a lot of carburetors, and redone a lot of fuel injection systems on boats (my trade), because the ethanol absorbs water and then it passes right through any filter. Then the boat sits for a little while and the water screws everything up. Not fun. Also, the old fiberglass tanks under the seat of a Boston Whaler melt. Literally, melt from the ethanol.

Hi there, what white goop are you talking about? having this issue right now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts