SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today riding home from work I decided to test the max speed on this bike so I put it in 6 gear and grabbed a handful of throttle. I hit 8000 rpms and was at 110 mph, and the bike had more to go but I backed off the throttle because I was getting serious front wheel shakes. I haven't checked the tire pressure since I got it from dealer, but know that the tires are hard as rocks! Could this be causing the front wheel wobbles/shakes at high speeds? I took some air out the front and rear tire but have not checked the exact tire psi. I will be a tire pressure checker tomorrow to set the tires up correctly.

·
Registered
599 Posts
a psi reading would help.

I haven't exceeded 90mph yet I'm still breaking in.

·
Registered
728 Posts
on my ride home from the dealer i got some nasty head shake. i wasn't going anywhere near that fast. when i got home i grabbed the tire gauge and the tires were both at 45 psi. i knocked them down to 30, went out again and it was all better. i have only had her up to 95 and it seems fine up to there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
the manual calls for 29 psi front and rear so you can probably go down a few more psi.

at 29 psi I'm not using all of my front tire but the back is used to the edge. so I think I can lower the front a little more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
front wobble

U need to set your suspension correctly. Set sag and ride height, then if U still have woble you will need to raise the triple clamp a couple of millimeters at a time until it stops. (push the fork tubes down in the triple clamp)

·
Registered
569 Posts
i'm running 30 psi front and rear, only had mine up to about 100, no shake

few things can cause it, balance is one, i have my own 'no mar' balancer, which works great, so i check them every once in awhile, i wouldn't always trust that they have them balanced right

·
Registered
277 Posts
I haven't checked the tire pressure since I got it from dealer, but know that the tires are hard as rocks! Could this be causing the front wheel wobbles/shakes at high speeds? .

That is scary. Most important thing to do before you go to a ride.
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a tire pressure gauge.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea next time before I ride I will check the tire pressure with a tire guage! Do the dealers know how to setup suspension, I will have to pay someone to do it? Because I'm clueless when it comes to suspension settings on any motorcycle!

·
Registered
244 Posts
U need to set your suspension correctly. Set sag and ride height, then if U still have woble you will need to raise the triple clamp a couple of millimeters at a time until it stops. (push the fork tubes down in the triple clamp)
+1

same thing happened with mine - front end wobble at 75mph+. the sag was wayyyyy too low. after a suspension tune to my weight, it's all better.

yea next time before I ride I will check the tire pressure with a tire guage! Do the dealers know how to setup suspension, I will have to pay someone to do it? Because I'm clueless when it comes to suspension settings on any motorcycle!
i took mine to washington cycle works in washington, nj last w/e. they're great. tell them song sent you, they'll take care of you. if u go with them, you need to call ahead for an appt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Steering head

I did a routine check and found my steering head was a tad loose
after my 1st ride (70 miles). Its easy to snug up. I also did the
loosen axle and pump forks thing to make sure it was all aligned.
Just a data point.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have an appt with a suspension shop this weekend. I know I have too little sag.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How much sag should this bike have in the rear?

Also, I'm currently scuffing the entire rear tire but the front tire is not even close. Does that mean I need to run a lower air pressure in the front tire or just slide the forks up or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
yeah, if you haven't checked your pressure, do that first, would be scary cornering hard with alot of pressure, mine were 38 front 43 rear when i picked it up, before it moved one foot, got it to 30/30

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

Also, I'm currently scuffing the entire rear tire but the front tire is not even close. Does that mean I need to run a lower air pressure in the front tire or just slide the forks up or what?

Thanks.
it means that you are not steering your bike most likely. I dont have a 690, but I have to get way over the bars with my chin to keep the front end from dancing over 95 mph, had my 625 up to indicated 118 in the draft at thunder hill.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
On my 625's, my 525, and my Husaberg 650, they all needed the rear spring preload increased and the forks slid UP in the triples 10mm. The steering angle on these bikes is not steep enough that it should cause wobbles by itself, but having the front end raked out with no weight on it, will.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Thanks.
no, my front tire is the same way, its got more chicken strip than the rear due to the profile of the tire, feel good that its that way, as the rear will let loose before the front, lot less chance of crashing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just breaking in the suspension on the new KTM...

I'm getting an odd front suspension hop around 40-45 mph and then it dies down as I climb in speed. At first I thought it was a frequency it was picking up from the tarmac but later realized it was happening all around. Any idea's? I've started to change the rebound and compression but haven't found the solution yet. :headscrat

1 - 20 of 21 Posts