SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a 690 SMC and also a HMC Factory KTM 610 to go test at Pikes Peak. I want to know what I can do to this bike to make it faster for the peak...any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Great project. Keep us updated.

I'd pull the head and port it, valve job it, and ceramic coat everything. Pretty easy really. Full exhaust system. Remove the airbox lid. And then you have to figure out a way to reprogram the FI. Those mods ought to give you an easy 75 rwhp and it should run mucher cooler as well which is important as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You asking us for help. That is kind of like the Pope asking somebody considering becoming an alter boy his advice on a Bible passage interpretation.:rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You asking us for help. That is kind of like the Pope asking somebody considering becoming an alter boy his advice on a Bible passage interpretation.:rolleyes2:
Maybe that is true, But I am putting this together myself and I have no expreience with this type of bike. They are so new, I dont know where to begin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maru. Looks like your still out of work?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Gary, there are alot of Mods available for the bike right now, most of them are in EU. But I have heard great things about a AKRA map and exhaust for this bike and the new Duke III. I will PM you on someone to contact later today.

Terry

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Maybe that is true, But I am putting this together myself and I have no expreience with this type of bike. They are so new, I dont know where to begin.
Gary-you might try contacting Bud Matto @ Matto Cycles in PA. They race everything and Bud has always been a wealth of KTM knowledge for me. He might be able to steer you in the right direction. :thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
How much help are you getting from KTM? Any dealers helping with free parts or Dyno time? Am trying to think of a way for fellow junkies to help you but not sure of where to begin.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks like Double D will be challenging Silent H this year with an Aprilia SVX550. This is going to get interesting.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock SMC is a little slow up here. I do think it will work once I do a few things. As long as it is reving high it works good. So far I have changed the ignition setting under the seat to number 2. I removed the shifter wires and have been playing with the suspension. I had no luck with taking some preload out of the spring. It is like stuck. I will have to remove the shock which looks like a bitch. I will post more after the weekend.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Are you using rain tires or still on the stock ones? How much slower was the 690 than the full on race bike? I realize this is a somewhat foolish question but most folks have no clue how much faster a bike capable of winning Pikes Peak is when compared to what they have been able to run. Maybe you cold also explain how much HP is lost due to the extreme altitude involved. Are you using oxegenated fuels?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds like the bike makes less midrange than one would expect from a big single, something I heard from 2 other sources today. Also heard the suspension was on the stiff side. How did things go today. anything new to report?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The stock SMC is a little slow up here. I do think it will work once I do a few things. As long as it is reving high it works good. So far I have changed the ignition setting under the seat to number 2. I removed the shifter wires and have been playing with the suspension. I had no luck with taking some preload out of the spring. It is like stuck. I will have to remove the shock which looks like a bitch. I will post more after the weekend.
Trachy,

I've just sent my suspension to MX-Tech last week. If you need mods done, I stongly suggest sending the WP stuff there. They did my last race bike set-up. If you need to set the preload, I suggest ordering the KTM fork caps that allow you to set the preload.

The rear shock needs to be removed by taking off the seat. The take off the shrouds. There are 4 bolts holding the rear subframe (IE the fuel cell) on. Take off the two lower bolts holding the tank onto the lower frame. Then loosen (do not remove) the two main upper bolts. This allows the subframe to pivot upwards (like the hood of a car). Prop the bike on a MX stand, remove the rear wheel and then remove the shock bolts. Make sure there isn't any compression on the wingarm or shock. One the bolts are removed (bottom , then top), pivot the linkage out of the way, and prop the subframe up. This will allow the shock reservoir to clear the subframe and drop out.

The other mods suggested are pipe and remap, some of which you can get.

The wire harness mod is another.

You could pull the head and send it out to Munns KTM for porting.

Not sure about any airbox mod.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am using groved slicks. I put a 16.5" front wheel on and that really works good. Everyone pretty much uses rain tires or 19" flattrack tires, but I prefer the slicks...

Micky Dymond will run the Husqvarna SMR 660...Eddy Seel Replica that I set the record on 2 years ago. That bike is really good, so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I wish Pikes Peak got more media coverage. It is such a cool event. I started following your career as a result of the limited coverage of that event. I also got to see you ride at the NJ and CT AMA EVENTS last year. i wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to provide us with updates of your progress.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have the bike down to FMF tomorrow for a new system. Then off to KN filters for some more airbox and filter mods. I hope this works and tha nks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have the bike down to FMF tomorrow for a new system. Then off to KN filters for some more airbox and filter mods. I hope this works and tha nks!
I'm really excited to hear what you find out on this.

I was initially planning on buying a Leo Vince full titanium system but right now they do not have any word on the header, just a slip on, and that will quickly steer me towards the full FMF system.

If you create some maps to go along the FMF system well then we are good to go!

Please keep us up to date!

PS. Can you talk FMF into making a ti header please?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts