SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Brand new to this scene. Haven't ridden a bike since I was fifteen and was rear-ended and sent to the hospital. 23 years later I'm ready to get back on the horse. I've been tracking a 911 the last couple of years, but that is just getting too damned expensive. Figured I could get the same, or even more thrills on two wheels.

Went nuts yesterday and put a deposit down on a KTM 690 SMC. No tax no freight, no set up. Just MSRP plus $50 DMV and $135 reg OTD. Seems like a good deal. Hoping to find time to go pick it up sometime during the next two weeks. And get my permit in the meantime......and maybe some disability insurance....

Avidtest

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sweet, I have a 690 SMC and its a blast, i'm sure you will like it. Good power, light weight and simply a riot.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Your situation is similar to mine ( 'cept I track/hillclimb a rallyecar ) and hadn't been on a bike in about 12yrs. If you're in need of a refresher, TAKE THE MSF and enjoy the SMC when you get it, 'cause it's alot of fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I definitely need to take the MSF. I'm a complete dork on it. Unfortunately, I think it will be some time before I'm comfortable wearing down the chicken strips

I picked up the bike yesterday. Got to ride it a bit then, and longer today. After not riding bikes all these years, it's pretty astonishing how quick the thing is compared with the junk I had to work with 23 years ago . I look forward to having my skills approach the bikes capabilities (at least get them somewhere near the general vicinity of the bike......or at least....ahhh you get the picture).

The bike is pretty bad-ass though. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I definitely need to take the MSF. I'm a complete dork on it. Unfortunately, I think it will be some time before I'm comfortable wearing down the chicken strips

I picked up the bike yesterday. Got to ride it a bit then, and longer today. After not riding bikes all these years, it's pretty astonishing how quick the thing is compared with the junk I had to work with 23 years ago . I look forward to having my skills approach the bikes capabilities (at least get them somewhere near the general vicinity of the bike......or at least....ahhh you get the picture).

The bike is pretty bad-ass though. :)
So, understanding that you just got the bike, would you suggest it for someone with little or no recent bike experience?

(asking as a person that's daydreaming about a SM for a first bike...)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's a tough call. Now, after four days, I'm certainly starting to feel more comfortable. Even little wheelies are do-able. However, I think the Suzuki DRZ-400 SM would've certainly have been more than sufficient as a first-timer bike and would have likely been a more comfortable bike to start on (the KTM is crazy quick). On the other hand, the KTM leaves a lot of room for skill growth and improvement. Plus the sixth gear is kind of nice, as are some of the other features that the DRZ doesn't have (slipper clutch for example). The KTM is the 1st bike I've ridden in 23 years, but it seems the DRZ might be a better pick for a first-timer, and especially if your budget lends itself to the price of the DRZ vs. the 690smc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts