SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody taken off the chain guard yet? I took off the chain guard, but put it back on since there was some play of the chain from side to side. It looked like it would touch the tire. Is it safe to take off the chain guard or should I just keep it on? I like the way it looks without it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
shouldn't be any problems operationally taking it off, but it lends itself to a couple of problems, one is the possibility of getting your pant leg caught in it, another is after you lube the chain all the lube going all over the place...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just might leave it in!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I went to go and remove mine and it appeared to be wrapped around the chain.

Did you have to remove the rear wheel to get it off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an old thread, but just wondering for those of you who have removed your chain guards were there any problems? I don't really like mine on there. I clean/lube the chain and change out tires frequently and I feel like the chain guard just gets in the way. That said when I removed it there does appear to be a lot more side-to-side motion of the chain. It also looks like it could fall off the front chain slider? Any thoughts are welcome. I saw a picture of Suns_PSD's bike with the orange chain and it looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anybody taken off the chain guard yet? I took off the chain guard, but put it back on since there was some play of the chain from side to side. It looked like it would touch the tire. Is it safe to take off the chain guard or should I just keep it on? I like the way it looks without it.
I took mine off the first week - havent had any problems.

You don't have to remove the rear wheel - that plastic piece clips off to let the chain out if I'm not mistaken. Or there's a small screw holding it together.

I used chain wax which is heavier and doesnt tend to spin off as much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Chain guard

I see that i few guys are running without the chain guard on this bike.

Im thinking of removing mine aswell, the only thing holding me back is the risk of chain hitting the tire and also getting chain lube all over the bike and tire.

Experiences? Input?

Looks awsome without it in my opinon!

·
Registered
859 Posts
just remove it. if you find that you don't like the added mess from too much chain lube, or the mucky splash from wet riding put it back on. Its just a chain guard, easy on easy off. I am a fan of removing everything that is unnecessary unless it functionally helps me in some way. My bike is not ridden in the rain often and only when its unplanned. When I lube chain it sits overnight, I don't spray it all up and then take off. Also, on O-ring/X-ring chains you are only lubing the chain to prevent rust and keep it clean, it does not need much oil on it. If guys are seeing chain oil flung all over the place they are over lubing the chain (unless they ride in wet conditions a lot and need to constantly be spraying it)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts