SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have about 2300 miles now, and am almost ready for a second oil change. I did my first at 600 miles.

I am going on a 600 mile trip this weekend, so I'm wondering if I should do the oil change before or after the trip. After the trip, I expect to have about 3100 miles on it. The manual says every 3000 miles for an oil change, so I shouldnt need to change it until the odometer reads 3600 miles... but I've been riding hard - though the oil seemed fine at the first 600 mile change. I guess its better to change it too early, than too late...even if it is as expensive as hell...

I plan on keeping my old (original) rear tire until AFTER the trip though. I'm sure it has enough life left in it for the trip (going from Binghamton, NY to Cape May, NJ)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Not me... Just did the 1st one today....

Personally, I would change it before you go... I tend to be a little OCD though....... :D

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I've got just over 1.5k on my SMR - i've changed the oil personally about 3x and the dealership once for the 600mile service. the first 3k miles on an engine will dictate total life, power, and operational finesse. With the engine breaking in, there will be a higher amount of metal bits floating around - its a good idea to get those bits out as fast as possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got just over 1.5k on my SMR - i've changed the oil personally about 3x and the dealership once for the 600mile service. the first 3k miles on an engine will dictate total life, power, and operational finesse. With the engine breaking in, there will be a higher amount of metal bits floating around - its a good idea to get those bits out as fast as possible.
Just wondering what made you choose the SMR and not the DUKE or SMC?:hmmm:

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would definately do an oil change BEFORE u go. the manual may say 3000 mile, but do u really want to risk it. Your motor is still breaking in, i did my first change at 550 and my second at 1500 and will do another at 3000. As far as im concerned u can never change your oil too much. better safe then broke down and very sorry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree, change the oil and play it safe. For the difference in a few hundred miles of hard riding don't take the chance. Just my .02

·
Registered
599 Posts
if it was the fourth, fifth..... oil change I would wait.

the second? I would probably do it before a long trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts