SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the lid removal mod yet? Any improvement? My question is I have an AKRA slip on and will be taking it to the dealer to have it maped. Does it matter to have the lid removed before mapping it or after? :headscrat

·
Registered
728 Posts
Has anyone tried the lid removal mod yet? Any improvement? My question is I have an AKRA slip on and will be taking it to the dealer to have it maped. Does it matter to have the lid removed before mapping it or after? :headscrat
i think the lid holds the filter on. so if you take the lid off nothing will hold the filter down.

i wanna see dyno proven results before i mess with my airbox.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Intake mods often have as much if not more affect on fuel requirements than exhaust mods, so you will probably want to get am a/f reading with the less restrictive airbox. While the bike is on the dyno it would be a good idea to take a pull with the air filter removed to see what that does for power. That will tell you if you will gain anything by going with an oem style k&n if and when they become available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intake mods often have as much if not more affect on fuel requirements than exhaust mods, so you will probably want to get am a/f reading with the less restrictive airbox. While the bike is on the dyno it would be a good idea to take a pull with the air filter removed to see what that does for power. That will tell you if you will gain anything by going with an oem style k&n if and when they become available.
I understand that having a solid mechanical background, but with no know available piggyback programmers out yet ie: powercommander PCIII's. The only available mapping at this time that I can find, is the dealers KTM slip-on map, I was wondering if the computer will see the less restrictive intake and compensate? Thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The dealer might have a slip-on map, but there is a AKRA map as well from Akrapovic for their full sustem.......

·
Registered
657 Posts
These bikes are so new that you will have to pull the airbox lid and or filter while on the dyno and take a reading to see if either available alternate map can deal with it. Either the af readings will be reasonable or not. The bike will not automatically compensate for intake side mods anymore than it will for exhaust mods. The point of my earlier post is that intake mods often have as much or even more affect on a/f ratios than exhaust changes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Maru
I understand now but I don't think that the dealer that is going to load my Akra map has a dyno. So I will have to wait until I can get it dynoed at a later time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looking 'under the hood', I 'think' there's a way to create a ram air intake.

If you remove the left hand (sitting on the bike) front front frame cover, this creates an open air gap between the frame and the airbox. The right hand frame cover can't be removed removed due to it's function in holding the regulator/rectifier onto the frame.

Next, you can either

1. attempt to turn-around the intake. The way the current snorkel lies, it faces backwards. By creating a gap in the frame on the left side to allow air in, flipping the intake forward might improve flow.

2. one step further would be to the above. But instead of flipping the intake around, fabing a larger ram-air intake snorkel to replace the stock air box lid.

3. Next would be removing/moving the coolant catch can. That way, you could actually do a true ram-air intake by fabing an larger intake to go from the air box to the edge of the frame where fresh the air actually enters.

Just theories, but maybe worth looking into.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was in Beaudry Motorsprots yesterday and they were working on their Race 690 SMC. They had it on the dyno (don't know the numbers) - They had the top of the airbox cut out and said with the Akro map it made a huge difference, they had also installed a Leo Vince that looked real nice and bolted right up. Not sure the model of the pipe, but I bet somebody could call them and ask.

As soon as I get my FMF, I'm going to cut the top of the box and have them re-map.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
How about if you take the lid off and then cut a couple of well placed holes in the air box lid (like I did on my 2006 SMC).

My buddy Dave (Extra300LP) and I have been looking at this on his new SMC and want to do something since he is about to get the Akra slip on.... I'm more concerned about the A/F mixture than he is (he's concerned about power gains) but we are working together on it together so with everyones help we should all be able to get some good intel about the airbox / exhaust mods.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I was in Beaudry Motorsprots yesterday and they were working on their Race 690 SMC. They had it on the dyno (don't know the numbers) - They had the top of the airbox cut out and said with the Akro map it made a huge difference, they had also installed a Leo Vince that looked real nice and bolted right up. Not sure the model of the pipe, but I bet somebody could call them and ask.

As soon as I get my FMF, I'm going to cut the top of the box and have them re-map.
Could you get some clarification from them?

Which map as there are several Akra maps? The full exhaust one or the most recent slip on one?

Maybe a part # for the Leo Vince muffler that apparently just happens to bolt right up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the way the mapping works it seems to me the whole reason we have to let the bike idle for 15 minutes is to learn the A/F ratio and adjust.

so i wonder if the stock map just says "hey this is the a/f ratio we want, so learn it". then the slip-on map may say "hey learn this different (maybe richer) a/f ratio". same for the full system map.

so i wonder if you could pretty much do whatever and the ECU will try and learn and compensate. just a guess but why else would we have to let the bike sit and idle and learn for 15 minutes after mapping it.

anybody have the inside scoop?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Have you guys seen the hp and torque increases?

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19856

The lower line is a 690 SMC w/ an Akro and a map and the higher line is w/ an airbox lid removal and a proper remap. It runs about 15% more hp and about 20% more tq all thru the low and midrange. Keep in mind this is over and above the Akra map w/ a free flowing muffler.

It would really make this bike an animal if we could get this done here in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts