SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my local dealer has said no more 690SMCs are coming until February, I am looking at other 690s. Are there any differences between the 2007 690SM engine and the 2008 690SM or Duke? Why does the Duke have more HP? Also, the frame and swingarm seem very similar. Are the bikes the same other than the headlight, exhaust, wheels and obvious stuff? You know, like the 690SMC and 690E are the same. What I am getting at it am I giving up anything on a 690 SM instead if a Duke? And could I put a Duke headlight and fender on an SM?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've heard that the Duke has more HP and torque because the larger volume exhaust cannister and possibly something to do with the intake as well if I remember right. Not much of a difference and probably something the aftermarket could take care of. I believe the SM, SMR and Duke are essentially the same frame/engine. The SMC is different and has an underseat gas tank and some other differences to make it lighter and better balanced (more centralized center of gravity).

·
Registered
375 Posts
The difference with the Duke and the SM is also the suspension. The Duke bits are fully adjustable, but shorter. The SM has more ground clearance, but lacks compression adjustability. The Duke headlight will bolt directly to the SM. You will also need the Duke front fender since the SM's beak actually has some function to it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Duke has a different cam for the extra hp.

The SM is not sold in the US now the SMR is and it has the fully adj. suspension pcs. just like the Duke.

The Duke has the adj. mapping switch as does the Enduro, and SMC the SMR does not.

The Enduro and the SMC have the fuel tank under the seat.

The Duke and SMR have a normal tank location.

I have the SMR and love it, never rode it without the Akra exhaust and mapping. I have added an ACCEL filter....K&N copy, derestricted the ECU and adjusted the suspension to Sport.

I love this bike, way too much fun!
Not sure how many of each are being brought in but it seems that the ones that are harder to find are the SMR and the Enduro.

The dollar is weak and so the cost of the next boat load will go up, so if you are wanting one and can find the bike you want you can save some cash if you buy one that is in the country now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts