SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Junkies, could use your guidance.

Mostly ride street/canyons, occasional slog to work (45 minutes), occassional track day. Started with a 625 SMC Ilot of fun, lot of vibes) traded it for a 530exc with street tires (ridiculous fun, scared of the maintenance)..sold and got a Husky SM610 (Nice bike, not as much fun as the 530, but more comfortable). Got a 950SM (on SMJ) probably the most fun yet, sold it in a weak moment, and bought a gsxr750 probably since I thought I was going to do more track days. Now it's back to square one...and which bike to get.

My wrenching has been limited to oil changes, air filter, slip ons...so I think I've ruled out the more "manic" SM's (SXV, etc.)...in exchange for longer service intervals. Or, of course, I could just learn to check/adjust valves.

There's 4 good options I have in front of me:
08 Husky smr510 (fuel injected - is it sorted? Service intervals still tight?)
07 KTM 690SM (with exhaust, sprocket, nicely kept)
08 KTM 690SMR (bone stock, with the mag wheels and ugly dual exhaust)
06 KTM 950 SM (good shape, leo's).

All are between $5,500 and $6,000

My gut is to return to the 950sm, but I'd hate to miss out on something cool that I haven't had....don't know what the 690 is like....and even though, it's probably not the best for all around...the SMR sounds like the wicked fun the 530 was....but I probably would have to learn some wrenching and pass on the once a week slog to work (although it'd be great for splitting lanes).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...on whatever you think...including if the earlier SMR (carb) might be a better call. I rode a Super Duke...great bike, but I do get why some might need to get used to the FI and sensitive throttle.

Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that the 990sm was the most fun out of the list. It definitely looks like a fun bike, but I think of it as more of a street bike with supermoto influence than a supermoto. No interest in the 690smc? Out of your list I'd go for the 510. Seems like the only one on the list that's a true supermoto, and not a SM/streetbike combo, but it appears that's what you're looking for. Checking valves really isn't that hard at all and after the first time you do it you'll wonder why you put so much effort into avoiding it in the past.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

For the reply. Yep - I guess you're right about these being of the more SM/Street variety. After a little more research it appears you're right on about the SMC...they're tough to find...last one I saw was $7,700 used..with 3 people coming to see it. Sounds like it's the way to go versus a 690 SM. Don't know if there's a preference for carb/fi on the Husky 510...but, I'll scope it out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Go with the 690 smc!

its way lighter than the 950 and has both the grunt outta turns as well as the light weight for track days. 950 would be a good highway cruiser, but it's so heavy for city and fun tight riding like hard weekend rips with the boys. 690 smc looks better IMO too, and you get the 3 position FI switch under the seat. but it really comes down to having a bike that you have to be gentle with (950) on the throttle, vs the 690smc where you can just beat on the thing all the time and wring its neck as you pass all your buddies in the turns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
950 sm

I do not have a 690 but I do have both a DRZ 400SM (Big Bore, cams FCR) and an '06 950sm. the 950 is better for longer rides, commutes, I have done 150 miles in the saddle in one shot. But the smaller bike is better on tight/really rough rodes short rides, 30-40 minutes in the saddle at a shot. If I could have only one and maintenance costs was not the issue, I would have the 950. The maintenance is not outrageous on the 950, but definatley more than the 400. I don't think maintenance on the 690 is much different than on the 950, maybe only a little less.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Go with the 690 smc!

its way lighter than the 950 and has both the grunt outta turns as well as the light weight for track days. 950 would be a good highway cruiser, but it's so heavy for city and fun tight riding like hard weekend rips with the boys. 690 smc looks better IMO too, and you get the 3 position FI switch under the seat. but it really comes down to having a bike that you have to be gentle with (950) on the throttle, vs the 690smc where you can just beat on the thing all the time and wring its neck as you pass all your buddies in the turns.

3 position FI switch? That switch only alters the ignition timing, and it has more than three positions.

The OP already has experience with the 950, and I'm sure the extra 100 lbs or so doesn't really bother him all that much...or the power for that matter. The 690 can be a bit of a torture rack due to the seat for long freeway commutes, but the bike can handle droning at 70-80mph for long periods of time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
3 position FI switch? That switch only alters the ignition timing, and it has more than three positions.
The only thing the FI switch does (with the exception of the low octane setting) is change the ratio of grip twist to throttle percentage. You can see it in the maps in TuneECU. Map 1 wide open at the grip is only about 45% throttle. Map 2 is 1:1 grip to throttle. Map 3 (standard) is slower opening at first and faster later in the range all the way to 100%, like a Throttle Tamer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.