SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :) Just got my 08 Duke 690 and love it... But, after riding a couple of months I have some questions...

The bike was bone stock when I got it, have read a million posts now on different mods and so on. I have ordered leovince underbody exhuast, did the 2nd, 3rd, wiremod, removed snorkle and opened it up a little bit more.. Just got my cable for tuneECU...

Which map should I use? Anyone with the same setup that is running a map and happy with the outcome? Any miracles done to jerky throttle, stalling after decelerating, rough running at stable throttle (4k rpm) feels like it's not enough petrol...?

I also wondered if there has been any upgrades from KTM to the original map after 2008? And if I can get a hold of theese somehow? Can TuneECU import TuneBOY/KTM OEMmaps?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks for a great forum btw!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been working on my own maps a bit and come up with something that could last for this season. Only butt dynoed, and have no intention to book a real dyno session. I have to say I´m very pleased with the result.

Firstly the EPT map was tamed to remove the jumpy throttle at low openings.
My standard setting (pos. 3) is almost as soft as the soft setting (pos. 1), and my performance/advanced setting (pos. 2) is almost as soft as the standard stock setting up until around 30% from where they match. Works great. The advanced (pos. 2) is still a little jumpy on low throttle openings but that´s how it should be.

I have pulled out the snorkel out of the otherwise stock airbox. Gave some more grunt to the sound, and obviously some more air. Added 3% fuel from 1900 to 4000 rpm in the standard map(pos. 3). If I remove the DB-killer I can switch to pos. 2 with 6% more fuel in the F-table for that range. The L-table are following towards the left and right hand sides but left more or less unchanged in the middle. This too have made significant improvements in the low end rpm range for smoothness. But the main gain is the midrange torque.

Occasional stalling at decel(eg. break into traffic lights, clutch in) has been reduced in the L-tables by adding some more fuel gradually by up to 4% towards the end in the lower part hPa under 2900 rpm. See L1 map.

These maps still have O2 sensor and SAI enabled, but could ofcourse be disabled before loaded into the bike. I kind of like the long term ECU ability to automatically adjust A/F ratio. But if you are not at all concerned with milage, adaptation to height etc. it can be switched off to remove some steady throttle surging.

These maps are published on the TuneECU site under the 690 Duke Custom maps section:
http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html

KM756EU0804031EPMap_smoothed.zip MD5: 7B51CF26CA1ED7D23B9D7A94EB8EC38B

KM756EU0804031FIMap_addedfuel.zip MD5: 6275D263019C0CA7CA14702B27974B8D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great! Thanks for the quick reply :)

So this means you run at pos.3 with dbkiller installed, and switch to pos.2 when removing it? pos.3 got 3% more fuel, and pos.2 got 6% more, if I understood correctly? Have you been running this setup for long? Looks like this is exactly what need!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh wow you made those maps?!

Thats awesome!, I used your old ones since they appeared and just recently saw there was a new one so have been using that the last week, the increase in grunt is great! :). I'm yet to go for an aggressively ride on the weekend (its also winter...), just to work and back so far, but i can tell its going to be sweet.

I also changed back to the stock throttle map, and wow your smooth one was really smooth, but i will see how i go with it a bit more aggressive for something different. I bought a throttle tamer tube ages ago, but i don't think it did much.

FYI - I have a leo-vince without db killer, KnN air filter, snorkel removed, wire mod etc and its been going great for over a year. Mine has also never stalled (that i read happens to some people on these forums?), and I've stopped doing the idle resets after changing map files, and it still idles fine and doesn't stall.

Do you think you will ever adjust the maps to add more fuel everywhere? to add even more punchyness/aggressivness/etc matched with this exhaust/airbox combo so it was even better for track days etc?, if that was possible... I'm a little sad you can't get a vortex for the duke so your maps are making do :).

Some more questions while i have you, and have not got around to trying myself:
What are your thought on doing the changes to the tables shown in the top 2 graphs pics in this thread:
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/show...-690-SMC-Ignition-amp-Fuel-tests-with-TuneECU
That I can see you have been commenting in.

Thanks for sharing those maps with us! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I´m not going to change all that much for now, but keep open for others to chime in. We need to get the community going with map sharing. I think there are a lot of people trying things out on their own but won´t get to share their results.

In that other thread there are a lot of new inspiration to find and those suggestions seems to be working fine from the comments there. Haven´t tried it myself though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the 690 smc and did both of those changes along with disabling the 02 sensor and SAS using TuneECU. The results were very good, if I had a Duke I would definitely try it, especially since it is so simple to do using TuneECU. And if you don't like it just reload your present map (that you have backed up on your computer) back into the bike.

Cheers,
Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI, on the weekend I did both the adjustments from them pics; one to your FI map tolou and one to the standard throttle map. I also disabled the SAS & O2 sensor, i do remember to do that sometimes when changing maps but I don't feel it makes a huge difference, a bit of placebo effect to know they are unticked at least I suppose :).

The throttle is smooooooooth now!!, better than your smooth map!, i wasn't expecting it to be that good. It took a little bit of getting use to not getting a jerk on/off idle cruising around!. No bad effects apart from if you back of the throttle with a few revs on there is one pop that didn't happen before, but that only happens if you are trying and it sounds cool enough.

So well worth a try. Thanks for the extra motivation!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The throttle is smooooooooth now!!, better than your smooth map!, i wasn't expecting it to be that good. It took a little bit of getting use to not getting a jerk on/off idle cruising around!. No bad effects apart from if you back of the throttle with a few revs on there is one pop that didn't happen before, but that only happens if you are trying and it sounds cool enough.
Do you still have the Throttle tamer tube installed? Having both might be too smooth I think. The steady throttle jerkiness is probably due to the F-L switch set to high, so has little to do with throttle actually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi! Sorry for the late reply... Haven't tried it yet :p Winter came early.. But I have all parts ready to install within a few months now.. Will post reply as soon as I have tried everything.. Really looking forward to test your map..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts