SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background, I have an SSR140 mini tard atm. I had so much fun doing this that I want to do it again! Im going to give the SSR to my younger brother.

Which leads to the question at hand, I know I want to go 2-stroke (dont know why) but Im stuck between a YZ85 or KX65 both priced close enough. I probably won't be racing it, no track around here (Tampa) but I dont want to be left in the dust by my kid brother with the quicker 4t. It will be for use around the neighborhood/ local parking lot. Oh and I want to do 12" wheels, probably spoked.

Im likely to pull the trigger soon, hopefully I can get some input from you guys before I do.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Either one should be fine, both have disk brakes and the 65 are making 13ish HP so they should not have a problem keeping up. You have ridden enough that you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'd say go with the Yami, but I am biased... :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the Yami has inverted forks too, dont know how much of a dif that makes but its there. Will 12" work on it or do I have to go 17"? I saw how much you spent in the wheels.. Ouch!

·
Registered
734 Posts
12" wheels are much less expensive than 17s. If you're just goofing off in parking lots I'd just go with 12s. Pick up some Dunlop TT92s (or better yet, Bridgestone BT-601SS but those are big money and harder to come by) and let 'er rip.

Just pick up a set of rims and spokes and lace them to your o.e. hubs. As you get further into it you'll probably want to do an EBC oversized front rotor and heavier springs, but rims and tires will at least get you riding.

An 85 2-stroke on 12s is FUN!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Personally I got some RAD 17" (with hub) for about $800.
Try to see if you can't get a used set of 12s ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure! I think I'll 85, something about bigger is alway better. HaHa

Now if this guy on CL would reply!

·
Registered
58 Posts
there is no substitute for displacement if you want power. and your new 85 will go around the outside of your brothers 140 when in the power band.

the yammi has better forks and stock springs for you and has better stock brakes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, probably going to go 85. My only concern is it being too big to roll around on compared to the pitbike. But I digress, check the CL finds let me know what you guys think. :hmmm: I wish I wasn't so damn busy with the lady! Lol

1. 2003 CR85
2. 2004 CR85
3. Year? YZ85
4. Year? KX65

Not in any particular order, just the orders I opened the link.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Whatever you choose. Get one that never saw the sand...
And personally I prefer stock engines, they last longer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I saw that ad, but it was from 4 weeks ago so he may not be coming back to FL. Ill shoot him a pm.

I would prefer a stock motor too, its always tough to buy a used dirt bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah I saw that ad, but it was from 4 weeks ago so he may not be coming back to FL. Ill shoot him a pm.

I would prefer a stock motor too, its always tough to buy a used dirt bike.
I think that you should plan on a rebuild no matter what you buy. That way you know you're starting fresh with a zero-hour top and bottom end. The small bore 2-strokes are pretty simple to go through. There are just too many unknowns with used dirt bikes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is true, but I mean... I dunno. An engine rebuild! Sounds like my type of fun but its something I've never done. Rebuild kits are cheap though huh? My google search took me to a $210 bottom end and a $76 top end kit.

Funny thing, I can't find any 85's near me in my price range anymore. All the previous ones are gone minus the CR85 that has been sitting. And I seem to be sending my money to my debts taking away from the bike fund. Any thoughts on that CR85? It is an 03' (good year?) that has been sitting for a while and "just" needs the carb cleaned/adjusted. For now I will continue to gather info and spend more time in the Mini Pics and Vids section. Mookie has me inches from pulling the trigger on the CR85! Haha

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am partial to CRs. They bikes are so common, parts are common and not very expensive (a new O.E. crank is only about $100) and there are bolt-on brake upgrades that can be had for not a crazy amount of money. Applied Racing makes a caliper adapter to use the 2-piston CRF250/450 caliper ( (which can be eBay'd for less than $50) along with an EBC oversized rotor. The biggest difference in the model years from '03-up is a new cylinder on the '05-'07 bikes. The exhaust pipes are not interchangeable from '03-'04 to the '05-'07 bikes.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes, though. The YZ comes with a twin piston caliper and there are oversized rotors available for them, as well. The only negative there is that the O.E. front hub has a 3-lug rotor mount and it is prone to breaking. The fix is aftermarket hubs like Judas did but they are big money.

The CR gets my vote.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Very true on the oem hub for the Yami. Be aware of that.
Other nice thing about the YZ is you can change the clutch in 5 minutes (try that on the CR :D).
All I am gonna say is just go with either the CR or the YZ. Definitely not the Kawi. You want over-rev...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey wait a minute! Judas! I just noticed Ive been watching your vids on youtube. Nice!

So stay clear of the Kawi's got it. What about the RMs? There are literally no 85s near me. :headshake the hunt goes on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A KX85 wouldn't be bad. You can have the 85 cylinder bored and Hot Rods makes a 2mm stroker crank that bolts right in to give you 103cc of unbridled 2-stroke fury! The head needs a $60 mod to work with the stroker crank, though.

Stay away from the KX100s, the exhaust port is apparently way too small to make decent power. The 85 ports are much better.

The RM and KXs are identical (as in the exact same due to a joint venture between suzuki and kawasaki). Not sure of the details as far as what years are the same, etc.

I don't know much about the front brake options on the KX, but like the YZ they come with a twin-piston caliper.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey wait a minute! Judas! I just noticed Ive been watching your vids on youtube. Nice!

So stay clear of the Kawi's got it. What about the RMs? There are literally no 85s near me. :headshake the hunt goes on.
I hope you enjoy. :D
I know I suck, but I don't care 'cause I have a lot of fun!! :D
As for the RM, I believe a lot of parts are shared with the YZ. Not sure if all are though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow thanks guys, you have made my life a lot easier. I think Im def going Honda or Yamaha just a matter of finding one at this point.

And yes Judas I have enjoyed the vids, my productivity at work has suffered though. Lol who cares of perceived "skill" I think its awesome you have a track to go rip it up on.

Check this deal out - http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/2447622318.html it has big wheels but she said she has the original small wheels. I dont plan on taking it out on dirt. An 03' for $800, I want to do a rebuild at this point one for peace of mind and two because it just sounds fun! Let me know what you guys think, at this point I feel your opinion is better than mine. Lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts