SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i swear this damn bike is making a clear ticking noise. Iv only heard two of these motors in person mine one of them and they both sounded like alot of top end noise in my oppinion but this sounds like a clear tick. Does anyone have a good quality video of the engine noise of a bone stock 625 smc, its an 06. Or would someone be kind enough to make one if you have the equipment. Unfortunately i dont or id just make a video to show you guys. Bike has about 10 000 kms, valves have been checked by dealer, i just purchased it about 500 kms ago. Only reason i bought this bike was for something somewhat sporty for a supermoto that has proven reliability, id love to be riding a converted wr450 or smr or something else that doesn't weigh as much as a bread truck on mud boggers, but want something reliable, and although it looks brand new id feel pretty good about tossing it in the lake if i already have to open up the top end. ha ok i wont toss it in the lake but yeah any help with a clear video would be great before i tear it apart. Thanks guys. also suggestions if this has been experienced for what it could be, or if im just hearing things?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have a 690SM and it's loud as hell, timing chain I think. Almost 10,000 miles, maybe time I replaced it? Bought it used, also don't know if it's the norm, but most say they clatter pretty good. Sorry I was no help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Has the SAS been removed? That can cause additional noise. Most people describe the 625 as sounding like a sewing machine. The auto decomp has a tick as well. It the tick constant?

·
Registered
239 Posts
You won't get sufficient fidelity off a video to detect a specific frequency of ticking. Our ears are sensitive enough and when we get use to a certain sound, and it changes we hear different things (such as you are describing).

...and I know what you are talking about because mine, at 4200 miles, just began to make a distinctively different noise.

It still starts with one quick push, and runs as well as it ever has and does nothing different at all - Except "tick".

In my queries of the same phenom (with others in the know) tell me just to go and check the valves. ....which I am getting ready to do.

If the idle is correct, it's not the auto-decompression. That's more a "clank", or a "knock" than a "tick" (which is a shorter duration and higher frequency).

So until you do that, I wouldn't lose any sleep that the top end is ready to grenade.

Go over to the "Creeper" threads on adv.com and copy the links for how to do the valves and take a day to learn to do it (or have it done). It does take some skills, patience and tools. You'll need all three. I am only equipped with tools so I'm going to let my <master mechanic> wife do it for me. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks well ill try not to loose sleep over it, and it may be in my head like i realize these things are clanky as hell. It runs no problem, well actualy it died on me twice last night but i was basically putting around because riding behind a girl whos new to riding and that may have been the reason. No loss of power. Im just so uneasy about this thing its my first street ride im paying a completely insane amount of money on insurance for it and quite honestly i think its heavy as hell. That being said iv only been on the motard a few times coming from mx background and im getting the idea veryy fast, unfortunately i dont think the police are gunna like the idea...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gravity sucks... No doubt there. ...but it's lighter than my R1.

...and don't talk yourself out of checking the valves. The 1oz of prevention thing.

Right ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts