SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The challenge in getting the SMC to accept a set of 21"/18" wheels is the front caliper; it will hit the spokes on the larger radius wheel.

First off, most of the skull sweat was done by pazzoduc; I just piggybacked on what he had posted earlier:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?35529-06-SMC-Dirt-Wheels-You-know-it!

I elected just to keep the new caliper, and discard/sell the old one instead of switching like pazzoduc recommended. I can still lock up the front with the smaller rotor/caliper, it just takes more brake pressure.

I was able to get the front caliper off a Ducati Multistrada 620.

For the 300mm front rotor, the front left rotor off of a 950 adventure is 300mm and fits great.

For the wheels, used the hubs off of a set of SMR wheels and re-spoked/trued them myself. It's not as bad as it sounds if you have a dial indicator and a wheel balancing stand.

My first test ride was this past Sunday. I went through sand, mud, and single track. This bike absolutely rips it up; I had a great time.

Spacers needed:

5mm, behind front rotor
5mm, behind back rotor
5mm, on axle (only with SMR rear hub). You could also get the 625 smc wheel spacers instead.

The only negative in this is that my marchesini wheels (that came with the bike) no longer fit. The stock wheel has a 10mm rotor spacer on front, but the marchesini builds that into the hub. The new caliper requires a 5mm spacer.

I'm also still looking into how to mount the magnet onto the rotor for the speedometer.

If you're interested in trading a set of stock 625 smc wheels for a set of marchesini wheels, email me at [email protected] (I'll also post this in classifieds).

Pics:

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my Lc4 the speedo runs of the six bolts

I am interested in your rims man pm sent

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
email sent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts