SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 610SM, 8800 miles. Riding home today I suddenly had a lot of extra clutch play. I normally adjust the clutch such that at the lever tip (ball) I only have 1/16 of an inch of play. Today I had a 1/4 of an inch of play. Several turns of the barrel adjuster to tighten up again. I thought for sure the cable was frayed. But, I checked both ends and neither appears frayed. I have a new Motion Pro clutch cable since 7 months ago.

This is NOT normal. I am not a clutch expert -- what could cause the clutch to suddenly need a large amount of adjustment?

For what it is worth, I am going into the engine this weekend to replace the cam chain. Anything I should check while in there?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I thought all the Husky's had the Magura Hydro clutch by 2008? If yours is cabled, check the routing of the cable......could be that the cable had a hard bend somewhere and now it's straight on, hence the free play. New cables do stretch too.....were you pulling up high gear wheelies? that'll stretch a new cable in a heartbeat.......As for checking the engine/if it is cabled, check the end inside of the stator cover that the cable hooks into...maybe it wasn't seated right and the pushrod was not getting full movement. that's all I can think of. If it is Hydro, check your M/C fluid level 1st

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The new Motion Pro cable has about 4000 miles on it -- and the routing does not appear to have any sudden bends. I never do clutch up wheelies on it.

Can the clutch itself cause such an issue, or is that unlikely and there this has something to do with the cable or the actuator mechanism? Again, I am replacing the cam chain this weekend and will be pulling both left and right side cases. Will I be able to see what's going on with both cases off?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Thanks. The new Motion Pro cable has about 4000 miles on it -- and the routing does not appear to have any sudden bends. I never do clutch up wheelies on it.

Can the clutch itself cause such an issue, or is that unlikely and there this has something to do with the cable or the actuator mechanism? Again, I am replacing the cam chain this weekend and will be pulling both left and right side cases. Will I be able to see what's going on with both cases off?
I can't imagine that anything (like the clutch plates) would suudenly act like this. If you are pulling the clutch cover anyways, measure the clutch plates thickness, should be specs in the owners manual. Also visually inspect them for wear...when in doubt, replace the clutch pack. That's all I can think of right now. cabled systems have very few parts and are pretty simple.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. Can I measure the plate thickness with the basket on the bike or must I remove the basket from the bike and then do I need to take the basket apart? Don't know -- no prior experience with clutches.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Thanks again. Can I measure the plate thickness with the basket on the bike or must I remove the basket from the bike and then do I need to take the basket apart? Don't know -- no prior experience with clutches.
Should be able to leave the outer basket on, would have to remove throw out bearing, pressure plate, and inner basket. be sure to take note of the order the plates came off, and re-assemble them in the same order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be sure to check for shims breaking up and falling out of the cush springs in the primary gear in attached to the back of the basket. I recently purchased my 08 SM610 with 6100 miles on it and found pieces of them in the basket filter under the shift lever. This failure almost cost me a motor, but luckily I found it before that happened.

See pics of what all I found once I discovered the problem and the fix I installed thanks to a guy on ADV Rider forum.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/help-debris-found-in-my-engine-610-630-clutch-issues.16604/page-2

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 27 days at the shop, got the bike back. The culprit was the actuator arm ($93 for the part alone). See the pics below. You can see the arm is bent and there is a crack in the center of it. They also replaced the bronze bushing (not shown) and replaced the failing washers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts