SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 610SM. Never had this happen. Began my commute to work this morning. Riding down hill and the engine just stopped. Pulled over and tried to start. Lights on the dash worked, but not neutral. Engine would not turn over. Turned the key off and on several times but nothing. I don't believe I heard the FI pump running as it normally does when you first turn the key. I was in a hurry to get to work so did not troubleshoot at all.

I pushed it up the hill back home (not fun), and got in the car and drove to work (also not fun. car = 35 minutes, bike = 25 minutes).

Anyone else had this happen before?

I am at work now, but wanted to get a list of stuff to try when I get home (hate driving my car to work). Here is what I plan to try:

1. Disconnect and then reconnect the battery
2. Check fuses (where are they anyway)?
3. Check the factory service manual for troubleshooting.
4. Your idea here . . .

·
Registered
815 Posts
ok. How about clutch switch? does it need to be pulled in to start? Sorry, unfamiliar with that exact bike, but it's got to be something simple. Of course check all the fuses..

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
+1....if it is the same as my 2008 510 SMR, there are three fuses on the right hand side of the subframe rail. The one closest to the rear fender (15amp). The filament onthis fuse on mine cracked (not blown) and my fuel pump would not cycle and I had no spark....however, the motor would turn over. You can't just eye tthe fuses up, use a multimeter to check them, if it is cracked like mine, you cannot see the crack..

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
if it is the same mount as mine, you might want to secure it better with a few zipties! mine was bouncing all over the place and I think this is the reason for the failure

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Confession time. Kill switch. Yes, I feel stupid.

I was zipping up my jacket using both hands and must have hit the kill switch -- never done this before, and I never, ever use the kill switch, so I did not think to check. I forget the thing even has a kill switch.

I have read about so many electrical issues, that I thought I had fallen victim.
Sorry to waste everyone's time, but thanks for the help -- you all got me thinking about switches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts