SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most dealerships do besides blow smoke up your rear
about their lazy certified mechanics not doing a great job on your bike?

I heard it was:
-bolt tightening (all bolts or off to the next guys $200)
-clutch/ brake adjustment (maybe)
-chain adj. (they better)
-oil change
-???????

I wish I could have a certified tech that gave a shit do this WITH ME, and
learn something, along with SEEING a job well done.

$$$$$$ Next please.....:rant:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Order a service manual for the bike, and do it yourself. It's all pretty easy, and you learn as you go along. That way you KNOW all the bolts have been tightened, chain adjusted, etc.:thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any cheap manuals online..........or pdf. file downloads?

Does any body really recommend the "Dealer" at the 600 mark? (why?):rolleyes2:
The dealer I bought my wr from knows me to some extent, when I asked him if I should bring in the bike at 600 miles for him to do the check-up he laugh at me. He told me what needed to be done and save my money for the next bike. So $25.00 and a hour later I was done. $200 or more for a checkup, I think not. :2hard

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just did a quick search, didn't find any .pdf's for the service manual, the bike is just too new. Trust me though, pay the 35 bucks or so for it, it's worth it. I get a manual for every bike I buy, and it's always worth it to have.

35 bucks or so for a manual....200+ for just the first service, which you could do on your own, let alone the rest of the services. You're choice ;)

Even if you have very limited mechanical knowledge it's all pretty easy, and I don't know about you, but I like learning about things and doing them myself. You don't need 100k in tools, just some basic tools in general, and some others for certain things. It's worth it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I was a MC Tech for many years and you would shit at some of the stuff you see people who do it them selves come in that they have screwed up. Most people are fine but.......Some people should not own wrenches!

The total price will depend on where you live and what the local labor rate is. If you live near a big city the labor rate is probably $100 an hour or more and it probably a 1.5 hour flat rate job. + parts and disposal fees is going to be about $200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow. When I purchased the bike they wrote out a card with the first service interval and cost -- $125 @ 1000km (600mi). It was a moot point since I do the regular servicing myself, anyway, but I was impressed at how (relatively) inexpensive it was.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't know how to adjust the chain on a bike let alone brake/clutch levers you probably don't have any business riding a GSX-R.
LOL...........I know how to do the regular stuff, buster. Thanks for the laugh.

...My question is to find out from this forum,
What will the dealer do that really needs special attention? (Such as a valve adjust)

What service did they offer you guys?

Ive owned:
-93' YZ80 -2 stroke 4yrs.
-89' CR80 -2 stroke 3yrs.
-89' 200 Blaster ATV 3yrs.

-95' ZX6R Kaw. Ninja ....till 06'
-08' GSXR 750

...........What will be the tricky part of the whole 600 mi. tune?:headscrat
I have always had used off road equipment, so the 600 mi. tune was already over with.
My ZX6R ninja was the only bike to need the dealer work.
The 08' gsxr 750 is siiting at the 570mi mark right now.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Your 1st 600 mile service would consist of A & B services below.

This is the service menu from a shop I worked at in Maryland and the labor rate appears to now be $50+ a 1/2 hour.

SCHEDULE "A" SERVICE

$102.00 plus taxes, parts and waste disposal
Recommended every 3,000 miles or 6 months

Inspect and service battery
Torque all major bolts
Inspect and adjust brakes
Check and adjust tire pressure
Change engine oil and filter
Inspect tire wear
Check for oil leaks
Test ride vehicle
Inspect fluid levels
visually inspect vehicle
Inspect lights and switches
List and future work if any needed

SCHEDULE "B" SERVICE

$204.00 plus taxes, parts and waste disposal
Recommended every 6,000 miles or 12 months

Change and replace air filter if necessary
Lubricate all cables
Adjust all cables
Adjust spokes
Inspect and replace spark plugs if necessary
Lubricate drive chain
Adjust drive chain
Inspect swing arm bushings
Drain crank case breather
Inspect all fluid levels
Inspect swing arm play
Inspect cooling system
Change finial drive fluid
Inspect choke operation
Inspect steering head bearings
Lubricate grease fittings
Inspect throttle operation

Plus all "A" Schedule services!!!

SCHEDULE "C" SERVICE
Cruisers and touring bikes: $369.00 plus taxes, parts and waste disposal
All 4 cylinder sport bikes: $426.00 plus taxes, parts and waste disposal
Recommended every 9,000 miles or 18 months

Clean and adjust points (where required)
Adjust ignition timing
Adjust valves
Synchronize carburetors
Adjust idle
Test coolant
Flush coolant when necessary
Lubricate swing arm bushings
Check wheel bearings
Pressure wash vehicle when necessary

Plus all "A" & "B" Schedule services!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Question on the WR250X 600 mile service... my dealer is telling me that they have to do a valve INSPECTION on this initial 600 mile service, is that the case? He said it's considered a competition motor, and that's why they need to do that. I didn't think the valves needed inspected or adjusted on these bikes for like 26,000 miles.

Even my service manual states "Check and adjust valve clearance" at 26,600 miles.

Even though the dealer wants to check mine, should I skip it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Question on the WR250X 600 mile service... my dealer is telling me that they have to do a valve INSPECTION on this initial 600 mile service, is that the case? He said it's considered a competition motor, and that's why they need to do that. I didn't think the valves needed inspected or adjusted on these bikes for like 26,000 miles.

Even my service manual states "Check and adjust valve clearance" at 26,600 miles.

Even though the dealer wants to check mine, should I skip it?

Your dealer is a shady bastard. Straight from the WR250X Owner's Manual (pages 7-3 to 7-7)
600mi (1000km) or 1 month maintenance:

Clutch *Check operation *Adjust or replace cable
Front Brake *Check operation, fluid level, and for fluid leakeage. *Adjust brake lever free play and replace brake pads if necessary.
Rear Brake *Check operation, fluid level, and for fluid leakage. *Replace brake pads if necessary.
Steering Bearings *Check bearing assemblies for looseness *Moderately repack with lithium-soap-based grease.
Sidestand Switch *Check operation and replace if necessary.
Engine Oil *Change (warm engine before draining)
Engine Oil Filter Element *Replace.
Front and Rear Brake Switches *Check Operation
Control Cables *Apply Yamaha chain and cable lube or engine oil thoroughly
Lights, Signals and Switches *Check operation *Adjust headlight beam

Every 300 mi (500km) and after washing the motorcycle or riding in the rain
Drive Chain *Check chain slack, alignment and condition *Adjust and lubricate chain with special O-ring chain lubricant thoroughly

·
Registered
562 Posts
Question on the WR250X 600 mile service... my dealer is telling me that they have to do a valve INSPECTION on this initial 600 mile service, is that the case? He said it's considered a competition motor, and that's why they need to do that.
BWA is right, you need to find a new dealer, he is trying to take you for a ride, what an ass. I can't believe he called this a competition motor, one of the main selling points is the thumper motor with general streetbike maintenance. Just look at the performance numbers verse a 250f.

I was planning to wait atleast 15,000 miles. I thought I saw a couple posts on the various forums about people checking them at close to 20,000 miles and they were still well within spec.

MAN, I'd love to give that POS a piece of my mind. Trap him into saying you MUST do it, then tell him to do it for free since the bike is brand new and it doesn't call for it till 26,000 miles. Second thought, I wouldn't want that place doing maintenance on my bikes, even if it were free.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ya, I wonder if this is just typical dealer way of making some extra money off somebody. I tried to tell the guy it was NOT a competition motor like some of the other WR's, but he insisted the valve check needed done. Who knows why he's saying this... it could be just something they say needs done on ALL bikes at 600 miles. I wonder if I'd be better off skipping the "600 Mile Service" and then just give them a list of the few things I want done/inspected. That way they do what I want, instead of what they think needs done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts