SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went in to my local shop today to start peicing together my sm kit. The guy helping me said he didnt think that you could put a 5x17 rear wheel on a stock ktm 525 exc. He was not sure though, so if anybody knows it this is possible please let me know... thanx!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes and actually it fits pretty good. I have 2 sets of wheels. One is a 4.25 and one is a 5.0. The 4.25 fits a 150 tire perfecty and the 5" fits a 160 tire. I had a dunlop qualifier 160 on the 4.25 rim and the chain ate at the sidewall but the 150 tire is not even touched. The only thing with the 5 incher is that the chain will rub the side of it. My 5" rim is ate up because of the chain. So if all you are doing is riding on the street and dont want any of the chain slapping crap, go to a 4.25 and I run the Avon Distanzia 150 sumo tire and it will be chatter free. Mark

·
Registered
364 Posts
5" rim here.
I had bad chain rub with the stock chain.
I switched to a NON o-ring chain (saved 2mm) and also shaved the edge of the tire a bit... NO more chain rub and NO chain hitting the rim.

You can see in the pic how the stock chain was eating into the tire.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Offset the rim properly and you can run an oring chain with no rubbing on the tire let alone the rim.

5" on EXC is no probs.

Only thing I did was remove part of the chain guard and reverse and countersink the lower chainguard bolts for ease of changing wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts