SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a street rider/track day junkie looking to get into supermoto for fun and for the cheap track days... I know nothing about the bikes but want a decent one with good power/weight ratio but with the least amount of maintenance and don't want any reliability issues. I found a 2005 KTM 525sx that was converted from a motorcross style bike to a sumo... It's also been tagged for the street in my state, although I do not know if that transfers to the new owner or I have to jump through hoops myself? He wants $3600 for just the bike, and it has 600 miles on it. I was just hoping someone could educate me to the pros and cons of this model and maybe make other recommedations for someone of my skill level (newbie sumo, thousands of track miles), with the intended use being an occasional short ride or commute to work and then a weekend track day bike... Figure 50% street/50% track. Thanks

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The SX motor is very fast. I race a 525SX and it eats 450's. Disadvantage on the track is you need to brake harder and earlier for corners becase of the extra inertia of the more powerful motor. Some will disagree about this, but I'm tellin ya it's true.

I don't know if the 05 has Ti valves...I think it does. Those of course are peppier than SS valves but don't last as long.

I only race mine, but it has been an outstanding machine. Very reliable and fast.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have a 520, very similar to the 525. It is an awesome bike. I am impressed everytime I ride it. Fast and reliable. I only ride it off road, so far. But I think it would make a killer SM bike. My bud has a 450 SX converted to SM and it too it just awesome. If the bike you are looking at is in good shape, pull the trigger and enjoy. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts