SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a gen1 cr500af. I plan on keeping it in the dirt. Just yesterday I traded my banshee for a like new 1997 cr500 with a steel frame that I want to put some 17's on. It is already plated. I also have a plated 2005 525smr. My predicament is I have a baby on the way and need to get rid of one of the bikes. I'm keeping the AF. Anyone rode a 525smr and a tarded cr500 steely? Your opinions please.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what is the biggest I can go on the rear rim for the cr500? Keith at KSR said not to go bigger than 4.25". Will I destroy the rim if I go bigger?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i havent mounted mine yet, but my 4.25 looks awful big for the CRs swingarm.... i think the 150 will clear just fine, but i seriously doubt a standard 160 rear tire will work.

btw, ive ridden both bikes.... but not enough to make a educated opinion. they both have obvious ups and downs as a streetbike. im sure you're aware of them already..

all i can say is.. they both put a huge smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
hey if youve already got a CR500 for the dirt why would you want another 1....id keep the SMR only because you would have 2 CR500's if you were to sell the SMR....right:headscrat

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think money wise you'd be better off selling the smr, i can't imagine you could get a lot of money out of the CR. you'll have to look at how much for rims and tires...etc. but it's not an easy decision for you. my 2cents

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either way I'm gonna come out with the same cash. If I sell smr for 5k and drop a couple grand in the CR500 or if I just sell the 500 for 3k. I'm tired of changing oil/filters, screens, and valve adjustments. I just want to ride 'em. And I'm dreading the time, and it will come, that it goes kaboom! I had a plated yz450f that was mainly dirt, but thats why I traded it for the 500AF. I just had too many bombs in my garage waiting to go off. As far as having two cr500's that doesn't bother me. I've ridden them both in the dirt and they handle totally differnt and one is going to be strictly sumo so they are really two different animals.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Either way I'm gonna come out with the same cash. If I sell smr for 5k and drop a couple grand in the CR500 or if I just sell the 500 for 3k. I'm tired of changing oil/filters, screens, and valve adjustments. I just want to ride 'em. And I'm dreading the time, and it will come, that it goes kaboom! I had a plated yz450f that was mainly dirt, but thats why I traded it for the 500AF. I just had too many bombs in my garage waiting to go off. As far as having two cr500's that doesn't bother me. I've ridden them both in the dirt and they handle totally differnt and one is going to be strictly sumo so they are really two different animals.

in that case, keep the 500.. the downside to the SMR is that you WILL rag it out on the street and need top end work constantly.
the 500... well it should last a year or two, then its only a few nuts and $200 from a total topend rebuild. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
yes... by ALOT.
Dont want to cause a argument but how will it be a lot cheeper? Rebiulds are pritty similar in time and price, a 2 smoker will burn up a lot of gas and oil. I quess any valve or cam work is the only thing i can think of that could make a 4 stroke cost more to have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I read here, I see some sense in that as 4-stroke dirt engines - sm engines - produce alot of power for what they are. Compare the power values of a CRF250 or an YZF250 with other 250 4 stroke (mono), as the CB 250 or the YBR 250, and see really diferent power levels, maybe that translates into more wear of engine parts, such as piston rings and how often sould the bike be fully checked up and revisoned... The 2-stroker's maybe don't wear out so many parts, and besides parts are cheaper, as a fully complete cylinder/piston/head assembly is simpler than the 4-stroke. And the oil can be direct mix, therefore no need for oil pumps that wear out too... Did I get it right?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmmm how much you want for that 97' CR500? and anywhere close to NY?:thumbup:

Long live the 2 smokers...but since the 526 is already in motard trim Ide say go with that...and sell me the CR lol

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Dont want to cause a argument but how will it be a lot cheeper? Rebiulds are pritty similar in time and price, a 2 smoker will burn up a lot of gas and oil. I quess any valve or cam work is the only thing i can think of that could make a 4 stroke cost more to have.
i dont really want to start an argument either.
but between that SPECIFIC 4stroke (NOT GENERALIZING) and that SPECIFIC 2 stroke... its the case.

a complete top end rebuild on a CR500 is about $200. thats boring, minor portwork, new piston and gaskets.
with regular, almost daily street use, it only needs it about once a year. the length of time a CR500 can go between top end rebuilds is VERY long for a 2 stroke. on top of that they're easier to do quickly (less parts to double check, no clearances, adjustments, etc.)

i have two friends with the SMR. its a VERY fun street bike, and im not bashing it at all.. but it does not work well for a bike that will have alot of miles put on it. they tend to drop off in power a good bit and need rebuilds more often.

you are correct that you'll spend more money on oil for the CR.. and that sucks... but you'll also spend more time working on the SMR and that sucks...
but when you are actually riding either one, they are both SOOO much fun that it doesnt matter.
the CR is harder to ride smooth, but that makes it seem even faster. its scary fun.
the SMR has a more linear powerband.. but at times doesnt feel as fast, even when its actually faster, because its smoother engine output.

they're both great bikes... but the CRcosts less to buy, less to maintain over time, parts are cheaper, and the only additional cost it incurs is the oil price... and that can be partially offset knowing you have to change the oil in the SMR more often then the CRs transmission oil...
thats why i say its alot cheaper... between the SMR and CR500.. NOT between the CR250 or a WR450 or anything else... just between the two bikes the topic is about.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
btw, re-reading that, it sounds like im putting the SMR down.. im not.

its a great bike. for racing, its honestly the smarter choice, as it WILL get better laptimes. (put an expert on the CR500, it'll be fast, but then put the same expert on the SMR, and it'll be faster then the CR was.)

the SMR kicks ass, and if you have the money for it, and arnt going to kill it with miles on the street (or dont mind rebuilding the topend occasionally) then its the better choice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'll keep the 500. I do like the power curve of the smr and it is easier to ride on the street. But Motorex and two filters every other week are getting to be expensive. And valves are another story. I don't mind changing tranny oil and adding premix.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I think I'll keep the 500. I do like the power curve of the smr and it is easier to ride on the street. But Motorex and two filters every other week are getting to be expensive. And valves are another story. I don't mind changing tranny oil and adding premix.
i kinda came to the same conclusion.
plus i grew up 'knowing' that the CR500 is the most manlyist dirtbike ever made... and then theres the childhood dream of being able to ride a dirtbike on the street...

so motarding a CR500 works for me... :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts