SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and reading for 2 days now and I still haven't found my answer. I just picked up a 2004 525 SMR with a 5 inch rear wheel. Currently the bike has a Bridgestone 160-60-17 BT020 rear tire. I've checked everything and it's aligned properly, bearings are good, spokes are good, chain slack good, spacers are in place, ect.. The issue is the chain has taken off at least 5mm of rubber off the egde of the tire. The rim hasn't been touched.. There is only about 5mm of space on the other side so adjusting the spokes to offset the wheel won't help. I know tires differ in size from brand to brand and even model to model so I guess my question is.. anyone out there with the same bike know of a tire that will work? I also read that some guys switch to a 4.5 inch rim on this bike but I'd rather not do that. I also don't want to swap the swingarm.. I don't think going to a 150 is a good idea either due to the width of the rim, I just want a tire that will fit without rubbing the chain so bad. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
5mm on right side is a "mile" !!! I have about .030" clearance on my right side, even had to trim the tire edge to get that...... shift that puppy over!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have same bike, same issue. Get a chain slider and make sure chain tension is correct. I'm still loosing rubber, but no where near as bad as it used to (guessing about 10mm off of edge).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have same bike, same issue. Get a chain slider and make sure chain tension is correct. I'm still loosing rubber, but no where near as bad as it used to (guessing about 10mm off of edge).
Chain slider? What exactly do you mean? There is a chain slider that goes over the front of the swingarm and there's chain guide on the bottom. Can you post a pic of your set-up and tire so I can compare? Thanks

·
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.. but I didn't really find a clear answer.. some people say offset the rim, others say just find the right tire and then some say buy the 625 chain guide.. I'd prefer to find a tire that will fit rather than any of the other options. I just need to know what tires are smaller. You can look at 4 different 160's of different brands and they vary as much as a half inch in width. I only need a few mm.. I'd rather run a 150 that add that 625 slider that pulls the chain away. IMO the chain should track straight and the rim should be alligned. I'm new to supermotos so maybe I'm all wrong but the right tire seems to be the key.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what's available in a 120-75-17 front and a 165-55-17 rear? That's what my book says should be on my bike and my guess is it probably won't rub. A quick google search found diddly..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The 165/55 is a slick size and is very normal.
Dunlop, Maxxis, Bstone, Michelin etc all will work.
not sure what you will find in a DOT.

why are so many people worried about tire rub tho? its very normal on these bikes and other than small cosmetic reasons, there is no real problem on most bikes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 165/55 is a slick size and is very normal.
Dunlop, Maxxis, Bstone, Michelin etc all will work.
not sure what you will find in a DOT.

why are so many people worried about tire rub tho? its very normal on these bikes and other than small cosmetic reasons, there is no real problem on most bikes.
Now that's what I needed to hear.. If it's nothing to worry about, I won't. I just don't want to risk the chain popping off or breaking because it's touching the tire. I never had a bike that did this and everyone I've asked says it's not good. It's not touching my rim at all and the tire appears to be fine. Please tell me more.. Are you 100% sure about this? This would be easy then, I can just buy the tires I want and let it rub.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
yeah its fine.
there are pics of tons of pro level bikes with rear tires and rims that are all ate up from the chain.
a little rub is not an issue at all.

·
6,598 Posts
Thank you.. but I didn't really find a clear answer.. some people say offset the rim, others say just find the right tire and then some say buy the 625 chain guide.. I'd prefer to find a tire that will fit rather than any of the other options. I just need to know what tires are smaller. You can look at 4 different 160's of different brands and they vary as much as a half inch in width. I only need a few mm.. I'd rather run a 150 that add that 625 slider that pulls the chain away. IMO the chain should track straight and the rim should be alligned. I'm new to supermotos so maybe I'm all wrong but the right tire seems to be the key.
the chain is straight dude... read the thread instead of assuming things. the guide doesn't pull it away. the idea of that guide is to keep the chain in check while you're riding so it does't move around too much and possibly damage the rim or tyre.

people are always on about the chain hitting the tyre. like mx rider said it is not a big deal to begin with, common thing on a lot of supermoto's. a little bit of rubber isn't gonne make the chain fly of the sprocket. if you have a bit of clearance or even if the chain is just touching the tyre you have nothing to worry about, plain and simple. unless the tyre is actually pushing the chain out of allignement, then you have a problem.

everything that is mentioned here are options you have to fix the "problem" and none of them are bad in any way. offsetting the rim doesn't ruin handling or anything, a chain slider doesn't pull the chain out of allignment if you mount it correctly and you could even cut some rubber off the sidewall of the tyre if you're really that bothered about the chain hitting, that won't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What he said. Its really just a cosmetic issue unless you are actually deflecting chain. I got my slider from Prairie City Supermoto, but I know they are quite a few others out there. KTM Hard Parts even has one if you are wanting to drop a pretty penny, or search for a similiar one made by a member her Hugago or something to the like.

FWIW, I was running a 160 Pirellic Super Corsas when I lost most amout of rubber.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Street DOT and slicks are measured differently and even though they have the same size on the sidewall the DOT will ALWAYS be WIDER......ALWAYS. The DUNLOP 165 rear will fit and will not rub if the tire/wheel is centered correctly in the swingarm. You could even run the DUNLOP 170 rear slick and it will fit just fine.

BTW DO NOT think that ROAD race tires are the same as a Supermoto specific slicks..... they are different as well and measure totally different in width.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
+37 on don't worry about the rubber being eaten off, it's no big deal. Make/buy a slider if you are concerned about it, just to dampen the slapping around of the chain. My dad and I run the same rear setups, except he has a chain slider we made. His is MUCH smoother when you are looking at the chain going down the road at 60. Older and more worn your chain, worse it will be...

Gerry

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I though I'd would post an update.. I decided to offset the rim a few mm and buy a tire that is a few mm smaller than what I have. As it is right now, the chain is no longer touching the tire when rotating on the stand. It's real close, 1-2mm but not touching. It may still be touching going down the road but now that I know it at least clears without any deflection, I feel better about it.

I never adjusted spoke wheels so I hope I did it right. Basically, I went a 1/3 turn clockwise on the chain side spokes and 1/3 turn counter clockwise on the brake side spokes. That seemed to do the trick and moved the wheel approx. 3mm. I still have 2-3mm of clearance on the brake side too. It actually looks more centered now so it makes me wonder if the rim wasn't centered to begin with. I checked the spokes but I don't have to tools to make sure the wheel is true so I just tapped on each spoke and listened to the sound, they all sounded close.

The tire that's on it now is missing a few mm of rubber so I just need to make sure the new tire I choose is no wider than what the current tire has left. I looked at a few tires today, the Michelin Pilot Power seems to be a little smaller than the other 160's I looked at. It was closer to a Bridgestone 150 than it was to the 160. The metzler M3 looks a little smaller as well but the profile was strange. The shop I go to can't get race tires, just DOT tires and I haven't been able to find a tire I can use on the street in a 165-55. I'd also like to compare the Conti SM tire to see how wide it is compared to the Power.

Sorry so long.. and thanks again for the advise. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Remember, if you start moving the rim over, You might go too far and start hitting the exhaust when the suspension compresses. Sounds like you're going the right route to move it though by doing each a little bit at a time. If you want to try and get it true, Hold a flat blade screw driver really close to the rim and move closer and closer. It will start to hit the part of rim that is sticking out the most. Do this on the side of the rim lip, and on the top edge. (if the tire is still on, you'll have to hold the screw driver slightly angled to avoid hitting the tire.) The part of the wheel your screw driver hits is the high spot. So adjust accordingly. :thumbup: You're on the right track

You could try running a different brand tire in the same size, as manufacturers' tire sizes vary..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts