SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've got the wheel department taken care of, now it's time for a brake upgrade.

I plan on doing trackdays, CMP or TallyGP with this 525. I'm curious what you guys think about the large rotor w/stock caliper and relocating bracket?

Should that suffice, or do I need to spend more coin on a aftermarket master and caliper? I want to keep the stock fork lowers as I enjoy the dirt on this thing as well.

I'm also curious about the different offset triples out there....mine are stock...how is this going to work on a road track?

-Theo

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Get a 4 pot Axial Beringer with an SMR master, or a 100mm QTM radial adapter and a complete SMR radial setup. There's something about the stock dirt KTM Brembo stuff that feels like crap to me, I always change them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!

I've got a pile of 100mm brembo 4 pad calipers laying around. Looks like I can get a bracket for ~$100, then a rotor and master won't be too bad.

I hope this thing makes a fun track bike!

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
If you go with a 310mm rotor, they are all around used for $100ish. Master is about $125-150 used. EXC line and you are good to go! :thumbup: QTM bracket I got was 320mm, so I milled 5mm off the legs of mine. Can always go back to a 320mm setup with a 5mm spacer!

Bike will be very fun! I've never run a bike at CMP, though, but I wouldn't mind taking my 540 there to run sometime when a bunch of motards will be there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gerry, seems like it will be fairly simple.

Do you think CMP is too big of a track for the 525? Am I gonna be buzzing that thing on the limiter for minutes to get down the straight?

Better tracks in the SE to ride 'tard on?

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I think that CMP is a big track for a motard, but it can be done. I wouldn't expect a motor to last all year racing and riding there, though. Especially if the motor is stock and the crank isn't welded. :hmmm: I'd go into it knowing that there is a possibility that your crank might take out your main bearings at some point, and have the money to fix it when (probably not if) it happens. Nature of the beast with an RFS and roadracing them. Motor can be built to be reliable doing it, but the list of parts does not include OEM roller mains and a box stock unwelded crank. :anim_peep: Not to be the bearer of bad news, but just a look at what you might be in for if you run the RFS at WFO for hours on end.

Other tracks in the SE would be VIR Patriot, along with SM specific tracks like Middle Georgia Kart Track, Summit Point Washington far to the north in WV, Palmetto Supertrack in Elgin, SC, and CMP's Kart track. There are tracks in FL and AL too but I don't know much about them.

G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts