SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just came from a drz400sm to a 2006 525 exc with motard/dirt setup. Just wanted to hear what other guys with the RFS motors are getting on these for fuel consumption on these so I can get my bearings and possibly look for anything that may need attention on the bike like bearings, jetting, float height, chain etc.

How many km to a tank of how many liters? Maximum range? Jetting settings?

Currently getting 4.5L/100km or 52mpg when cruising. Giving it a bit of gas for fun this will go down to 4.9L/100km or 47mpg or so.

This bike has a JD jet kit fitted with blue needle on second notch from top and 172 main. I was getting nearly 70mpg on my DRZ before but with the light weight and low revs of this bike I was expecting about the same.

Wondering if it will get be better with the stock needle (thicker base) and bigger 178 main jet? Do JT jet kids generally run too rich at lower rpm?

This is my daily commuter as well as kart track/dirt machine so it's of interest to me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
47 to 52 mpg sounds pretty good for an RFS motor.

You are using the blue needle which is the richer of the two needles provided with the kit. The other (red) needle evenly leans the bike out. Using the red needle will use less gas but I wouldn't just put it in solely for fuel economy.

Do you have the instructions that came with the JD kit? There is a lot of information in there about what setup to use in different conditions.

I've used JD kits in several bikes and they always seem to work well. The JD needles seem to consistently work better than with the stock needle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers man, yeah I'll keep the blue needle in. Got no instructions so just wanted to hear if this sounds right. Bike goes super hard...

What does the O ring on the accelerator pump do???

How often are you guus changing oil on RFS motors for street use? valve clearances?

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
70mpg with your DRZ400? I NEVER got close to that in mine. More like 55mpg here, if that. I would hit reserve at like 89 miles.

My 540 gets about 49-50mpg when I am beating the shit out of it, and my dad's 525 gets about the same. This is all twisties, fast paced riding. I've gotten better just cruising. So I'd say you are right in there. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts